Author Topic: Freedom Flyer's sailplane hangar  (Read 15738 times)

Freedom Flyer

• View Profile
Freedom Flyer's sailplane hangar
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2012, 02:24:19 AM »
Andrew,
     If you go back and look at the pics of my cradle, notice where the rubber bands are attached at the back of the cradle, up near the corner of the cradle.  When you rubber band the glider to the cradle, the trailing edge of the wing is up against the attachment point and will not allow the glider to slide back at all. In fact it is very tight at the trailing edge and have cut away the monocote and placed 1/32 plywood on a couple of my gliders to keep the balsa from being crushed. I haven't experienced any of my planes sliding back during a launch.   :) As long as you have your cradle mounted firmly on the plane to where it can't move, that shouldn't even be an issue.  I would suggest when you get your cradle done to mount it on the plane and take it up for a flight to see how the Kadet reacts with it on it's back. Have you decided if you are going to add ailerons? I think it would be very beneficial. thanks for the update I'll be in touch, looking forward to more pics. Tracy
Still learning after all these years

andrew wallace

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bmfc.btinternet.co.uk
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2012, 11:58:45 AM »
once again tracy you're spot on i moved the postition of the rubber band and that cured the wing slipping back

for the picture i'm holding the cradle on with two rubber bands but i'm lookin at a way to bolt the cradle to the wing :?:  

i'm going to use my fling for the first couple of flights then i'll move on to the bigger models.I'm going to fly first using the rudder only to put ailerons on i'm gonna have to strip the wing it's covered in nylon and doped
weather permitting might get out this weekend  :D i'm in the middle of decorating the hall, stairs and landing  :!: and i have to keep at it to keep the wife happy  :lol:

thanks for all the help so far  :clap:
i\'m an ordinary man nothing special nothing grand

Freedom Flyer

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2012, 05:02:53 AM »
Andrew,
      Great pics, thanks for sharing. I think I like your release mechanism much better, seems like there would be less friction and  a more direct release. I may make that adaptation when I redo mine. :D The Red, White and Yellow sailplane looks to have a pretty decent wingspan, again I would suggest wing supports  about 1/2 way out on the plane wing under the glider wing. There's some really strange forces going on during the flights and I have had  gliders tip to one side or the other during the flight with a cross wind, it makes the flight verrrrrry interesting :shock:  :shock:  :shock:. If your going to haul multiple types of gliders you'll want to make it adjustable to fit the different wing configurations but if your going to haul one type it could be something very simple just to keep it from tipping.  Hope all goes well for the test flight good luck. Tracy

andrew wallace

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2012, 19:58:53 PM »

hi tracy finally got out to try the cradle today i used cable tie's to secure the cradle to the plane and they worked a treat

wind was a bit strong today it was blowing a good 20mph but we gave it a try any way  :D with using the rudder only made the plane wallow from side to side but after a few flights it got better or i got used to it  :lol: think ailerons is the way to go  :)

this is my brother richard he flew  the fling  :D must say it was a good days craic :clap:  :clap:

andrew wallace

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2012, 17:23:17 PM »
here's a few more pictures from todays flying

the bird of time fuselage was a little deeper than the albratross so we had to modifiy it a bit

andrew wallace

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2012, 17:27:13 PM »

three happy boys  :D  :D

the wind was a good bit lighter today and believe it or not the bird of time was easier to take up than the smaller fling  :clap:
no thermals  but we must of had about ten flights the shortest being the bullet  :lol:  :lol

Freedom Flyer

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2012, 14:57:44 PM »
Andrew,
Glad to see you had great success, it's always fun to try new things in the RC world.  Great pictures, it's fun to have a group as excited about trying things as you are.
Sorry that I haven't responded sooner, I have taken up my new job and just returned from my first shift.  It takes approximately 8 hours one way with fuel stops to get to and from my work site.  I'm hoping to get a lap top ready and going by the time I leave for my next 8 day stint so I can stay in better touch with my wife (skype) and kids and to see whats going on with the forums. Thanks for sharing.  Once I get settled and learn what I need to for the job, I'm hoping to take some building projects with me so I have something to do during my off hours.  I'm putting together a balsa order now in preparation for that.  I'll be in touch congratulations on your success. Tracy :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

andrew wallace

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2012, 20:48:05 PM »
hi tracy
i'm gonna make a new aileron wing out of foam for the plane i'll keep you posted
hope all goes well with the new job
i'm waiting on new glasses before i start the wing  8) lol