Gliders > Scale

Seagull Ka8b - Engine install and mods

(1/7) > >>

selleri:
Me and a flying mate have got our hands on two of these and decided we'd fit engines in them for some fun soaring time with our other planes. Also as a tester on those weak lift days on the slope or near the sea...   :roll:

Three meter wingspan.

XPower XC3522/5 LS motor.

First order of the day, remove the tow release.

Didn't need much persuasion to leave.

Then we need to get into the nose.

Saw and a router bit in the Dremel made a quick work of that.

And the motor in its place... well almost, now it just needs a firewall.

As a bonus the panel already has an EGT gauge!  :lol:

Fred:
Do you know that each time someone install a motor in the nose of a glider, a Justin Bieber's Fan dies!...

Oh wait, that's a good thing! Carry on, I though that was a Baby Seal that died...  :D

billscottni:
How are you intending to get the prop blades to fold back around that bulbous nose? Might have to consider a cranked yoke for the blades.

selleri:

--- Quote from: "Fred" ---Do you know that each time someone install a motor in the nose of a glider, a Justin Bieber's Fan dies!...

Oh wait, that's a good thing! Carry on, I though that was a Baby Seal that died...  :D
--- End quote ---

You had me going there!    :lol:

--- Quote from: "billscottni" ---How are you intending to get the prop blades to fold back around that bulbous nose? Might have to consider a cranked yoke for the blades.
--- End quote ---

Well as it happens...    :wink:

Then things got interesting, first I covered the motor so the magnets wouldn't attract the fallout.

The collar hex just scrolled on my allen keys(both inches and mm) so when heating and various other gentle approaches didn't work the gloves came off! After some drilling and cutting I finally got it off.

New thinner collar, needed to shorten the hex so it could fit inside the motor mount.

5mm rod was used instead of the engine axle.

Marking to ensure I've got room for the prop hub.

Here the firewall has been installed but as the front part of the nose is just fiberglass, glued to the first fuselage former, we need to do a bit more to secure it!

selleri:
Now to connect the firewall to the fuselage frame. This plate goes behind(in front) of the firewall and holds on to it.

Why the stick is there might also be evident.  :)

Repeat...

Motor where we want it.

The mustache... just needs the beret! Bill this is a 10mm +2.5° hub and the blade go flat.   :D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version