Planes > Scale

Something different... Lilian Bland Mayfly - Static model

(1/4) > >>

Fred:
And now, for something relatively out of the ordinary :)
I have been asked by Noel if I could produce a static model of the MayFly.
After having a look at the 3 view, and decided on the size (30cm WS), I had to say yes of course :)

I don't usually do them that small, so I knew with my big fingers it would be a challenge. I like challenges!

Back home, I had a better look at this thing, and started to decide the best way to build a small representation of the first woman to design and build an airplane in Ireland. And the best way, is to do it using materials used on the full size one. Noel, wanted it semi scale, I wanted it scale, so I cut it right in the middle. The "non essential" bits were omitted or simplified(like the number of ribs on the wings, the profile on the moving surfaces (flat)), but everything else is, I think, a fidele representation.

More about this great woman here: http://www.lilianbland.ie/

All the documentation came from this website, where you can find a great 3 views. I then drew up my plan from the information I gathered, and then, started to cut a bit of wood!
Build is all balsa (2mm sticks), Bamboo (3 and 2mm diametre). Everything is build up, the only parts that come from the shops are the wheels (Peck Polymer in the US).
Build is classic, so not a lot of comments there. You just need steady hands! All the parts were built by modules, then assembled together. I tried to use as less paint as I could, and left all the bamboo stick in their "natural" colors. Just 3 coat of varnish on all the wood give it a nice look.
Lots of wiring on this plane. I only represented about 20% of it, and left the "external" wiring out as they will be more than likely damaged during the life of the model.
The stand is home made too, and the fake grass (I wanted the model to sit on grass :) ) is a home made mix of grass from Hornby. And that does not look bad at all.

Anyway, here are a few photos, of the build first:

Fred:
Assembly

Fred:
Getting there!

Fred:
And finished!  :-*

Nhalyn:
Très joli !  :-*
Il faut en faire un qui vole ! Il sera plus facile qu'un Wright Flyer avec son hélice unique...

You have to built a flyable one ! It may be more simple than a Wright Flyer with only one propeller...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version