Club House > Road trips

Cheapest/best/fastest way to Irleland with my van

(1/4) > >>

DownwashSoarer:
Dear All,

it's your fault, you have been too nice, so I want to come back :lol:
The thing is - I would like to come with my van and bring every model I can find in my basement. My government accepted slight changes in holiday planning. This freed one week in May.
Does it make sense to come by car and ferry to Ireland for only one week (~1700km one way)?

When would be the very best time? Should I go via the UK or take a direct ferry from France? - any recommendations for ferries?

Nollaig Shona agus Athbliain faoi Mhaise Dhuit 2010!!

Karl

Happy Days:
Hey Karl

Whether a 3400Km total journey is worth the effort for only one week,…. only you can decide.

But bear in mind that there are other slopes in Ireland apart from Mt. Lienster that offer good flying. :D  

So, when planning any trip to Ireland you might want to factor into your plans the possibility that if one area of the country is forecast to be rainy or no wind, then you could travel to another part to get some flying. :wink:

As far as planning your trip,…………….If possible I’d leave the actual dates that you want to come until the latest possible moment, so that you can check the weather forecasts and see which days will offer the best weather.
If you get the weather right,…… flying here will put a smile on your face that will last for years! :lol:

If you get the weather wrong,………….it’s an awfully long way to come for a glass of Guinness! :!:

K.

Fred:
Hey Karl  :D

Maybe Stephan can help you on this, as he came in Ireland this year, pretty much the same way you show on your map.

As for me, each time I went to the continent, I took only one ferry to Cherbourg... You have to check both possibilities, but I think all in all, you have less driving at the end taking only one ferry, but the ferry journey last 20 hours !
You save on driving, but not necessarely on time ! And with my great organisation  :lol:  I prefer to deal with only one ferry (yep, one year, missed the ferry by... 24 hours!  8)  )
You basically lose 4 days on your week, just for the travel...
Is it worth it ? Well, each time I drove 2 days to go to Retroplane, that was totally worth it at the end !

lothar4862:
However,

I made the trip last year, You marked on the map. I can say, it was the cheapest and the easiest way to go to Ireland. To drive to Cherbourgh costs maut for the Autobahn too. And the trouble with the ferry dates.... I strongly recommend the landbridge. I do it via Denmark also, when I go to Sweden or Norway. The long ferrys make Your timetable unflexible...

Ok. You have to touch England.....

Regards

Lothar

Fred:
Hi Lothar,

How long was the rip for you ?  :?:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version