Author Topic: Cabin fever anyone ?  (Read 38018 times)

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
Cabin fever anyone ?
« Reply #45 on: February 24, 2010, 09:35:29 AM »
Sunday is looking slightly better Ed. (Less low cloud forecast)

I was thinking of popping into the indoor Fly-In at Kiltealy, to marvel at how other pilots can do the things that I can’t, :cry:  and then going onto the slopes. :D  Two birds with one stone, so-to-speak.

Fred? Anyone else??
Try not to run out of airspeed, altitude and ideas....... all at the same time.

Fred

• Slope Soaring is not a crime!
  • Administrator
  • Gliderist Simplex
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gliderireland.net
Cabin fever anyone ?
« Reply #46 on: February 24, 2010, 09:38:24 AM »
Definitively a no go for me on Saturday !
Sunday... Still negociating that one ! Hopefully, I will be able to make it to the indoor, then Slope (as soon as I crash my plane, should not take long!  :D )
Education is important, but flying RC planes and gliders is importanter!

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
Cabin fever anyone ?
« Reply #47 on: February 26, 2010, 16:29:23 PM »
Yank & Bank returned today! :D  

Yes folks the good times are back. West Slope of Big L……..wind speeds 40 - 50Km/h gusting 60. WSW, and masses of lift---------WEEEeeeeeee! :D  :D  

It’s been months since I’ve had to ballast up a model but it’s great fun to have them flying at a fast’ish speed. Strangely the Phase 6 didn’t seem so fast as I remember it being. :?:
Think it may be time to consider  getting a mouldy. Something with a V tail and a thin profile. (I’m getting excited!) :lol:

Only slight ‘fly in the ointment’ was,……… It weren’t ‘alf bloody cold. :(

Conditions for Sunday are due to be a little gentler but bring your winter woollies’ me thinks your gonna need ‘em. :wink:

Keith.

Eiretime

• View Profile
Cabin fever anyone ?
« Reply #48 on: February 26, 2010, 17:57:11 PM »
Hi Keith,
 Great news that you got on to the mountain too. Fergal and myself finally got out as well for a cold and showery blast at Killakee. Pretty good feeling to get some decent lift under the Vector`s wings at last  :D Fergal was flying his Typhoon which is 2 meter mouldie which looks the business indeed. Looks alot bigger than a 2m when it`s`flying and very stable. Over all a very cold and
 short days flying but no crashes! If the weather plays ball on Sunday you can count me in for Mt.L

Ed

Alan_Perse

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
Cabin fever anyone ?
« Reply #49 on: February 26, 2010, 19:30:26 PM »
Hi Keith.
Is there much snow up at the nine stones? Is it difficult to drive up there? I might try and go up on Sunday. Have to wait and see.

Eiretime

• View Profile
Cabin fever anyone ?
« Reply #50 on: February 26, 2010, 19:59:05 PM »
Hi Alan,
If the roads are in bad shape i can give you a lift from Naas or Bunclody if you want.

ed

Alan_Perse

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
Cabin fever anyone ?
« Reply #51 on: February 26, 2010, 20:13:46 PM »
Thanks for the offer Ed.
But I think I'll be OK. I can't guarantee that I'll be going anyway. I'll have to wait until Sunday morning to be sure.

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
Cabin fever anyone ?
« Reply #52 on: February 26, 2010, 20:24:18 PM »
Hey Alan,

There was a very small amount of snow on the mountain today. Mostly on the windward grass areas, hardly any on the roads. I made it up there in my little "Bubble Car"
Going by todays conditions, (and I don’t think any more snow is forecast for this area before Sunday) you’ll have no problem getting up there. :D

I’ll post a weather report early on Sunday morning, you can make your decision then. :wink:

Eiretime

• View Profile
Cabin fever anyone ?
« Reply #53 on: February 26, 2010, 20:31:08 PM »
Hey Alan no problem

Alan_Perse

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
Cabin fever anyone ?
« Reply #54 on: February 26, 2010, 21:17:28 PM »
Thanks Keith

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
Cabin fever anyone ?
« Reply #55 on: February 28, 2010, 07:38:36 AM »

At the center of this picture is the Mighty Mount Lienster in all it’s Majesty, taken at 07.30 this morning from a position of aprox 25Km South east of the mountain.
Unfortunately you can’t actually see Big L,…. because there is a bank of cloud in the way! (But the sheep assured me that it’s going to be a grand day)

There was no snow fall last night although there was a slight frost. The roads to the slopes should be clear.

Wind speed at my location at this time is: 18Km/h

Wind direction: N.W.

Temperature: Zero degrees

Humidity: 91%

Atmospheric pressure: 992mB rising

Wind speed is predicted to be between 20 and 30Km/h today. That should produce a good degree of lift on the slopes.

It all looks set for a fair day’s gliding, provided that cloud clears away.

I intend to be at the indoor venue by about 11.00 then head off to the slope about 13.00.

I’ll post another update in an hour’s time.

K.

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
Cabin fever anyone ?
« Reply #56 on: February 28, 2010, 08:41:52 AM »
Time: 08.30

Big L. is still obscured by a long bank of cloud covering all of the Blackstairs mountain range that I can normally see from my location. The rest of the sky is basically clear with small amounts of high cloud.

Wind speed has dropped slightly to 15Km/h

I think the slopes will clear of cloud by this afternoon by a combination of sun and wind action.

Right, I’m going to start loading the car! :D

(I’ve just noticed that the max number of users of this forum, at any time, was at 1o/c this morning! :shock:  40 people using it at one in the morning. :?  Couldn’t have been much on the tele’ last night)

Eiretime

• View Profile
Cabin fever anyone ?
« Reply #57 on: February 28, 2010, 09:15:39 AM »
Good morning Keith,
Wow what a weather report! Thanks a million for that, very detailed indeed. Myself and Fergal should be down there about 12.00 / 13.00 so see you then. Have fun at the indoor.

ed :D

Alan_Perse

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
Cabin fever anyone ?
« Reply #58 on: February 28, 2010, 09:18:13 AM »
Thanks for the update Keith. Very Detailed  :D  :D. Have you got a weather station at home? I'll probably be leaving Naas at 11.00am. So I should be at Mt Leinster at 12. Hopefully I will get to fly the K8 and everything works out.

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
Cabin fever anyone ?
« Reply #59 on: February 28, 2010, 20:59:16 PM »
Well, despite the odd shower, and later in the afternoon a lull in wind speed, I think that was a pretty good afternoons flying. :clap:

Always a pleasure to fly with like minded pilots especially those I’ve not met before, so I trust Fergal and Richard will be on the slopes of Big L. again soon. :D  (I noted that Fergal has a fascination for  flying at Mach 2 and Richard has joined the SSSHHHHWWWWiiiissssssssss club……..He knows what I mean :wink: )

Most of us sustained a little bit of cosmetic damage to our models, :!:  but that’s ‘par for the course’ so long as we learn from each occasion. And besides, it puts some thrill into the experience of flying, or should I say Landing!

Next up...... PSS meeting in a couple of weeks. (Actually any gliders will do, it’s just an excuse to tell the wives' that we’re having another fly-in. :P )

See You then.  Keith