Author Topic: ISR Glide-In - 22-23 May2010 ****IT'S A GO!****  (Read 56947 times)

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
ISR Glide-In - 22-23 May2010 ****IT'S A GO!****
« Reply #75 on: May 22, 2010, 18:57:32 PM »
Well, I hope the rest of you guys had as good a day as Fred, Peter, Dennis, and I did. :D
Wall to wall sunshine,  clear skies 20 gusting 30 Km/h winds on the ridge. Thermals and ridge lift. Fantastic! 8)  

Everything flew today, in fact Fred and I decided to have some combat, even though neither of us had brought a wing. So we fought with built up winged gliders! (easy to repair) In the end I let Fred slice the rear off my V tail plane. (The hell I did!!!) So it’s one point to Fred. I shall have my revenge tomorrow. :twisted:

All in all a surprisingly good day. :D

Anyone care to join us tomorrow?
Try not to run out of airspeed, altitude and ideas....... all at the same time.

Alan_Perse

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 22, 2010, 19:40:22 PM »
So there was actually some wind. Great. I hope there is that much wind tomorrow.

JohnPearson

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 22, 2010, 23:35:29 PM »
Well what a day!! we had 20mph winds on Moneymore today with some of the best lift I have ever had on sw slope. Richard and I went up to the slope with forcast of 6mph winds, well we got it completely wrong richard was in his element with his little Fox glider and I flew the x-treme. Poor Bill dropped out ealy in the morning, however we did give him a call just to comfort him when he realised he had missed a great day.

Lesson for the future guys, stuff the forcast lets just go for it !!!

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 23, 2010, 09:21:34 AM »
Glad you guys enjoyed yourselves. The weathermen certainly got it wrong yesterday didn’t they. :?  

Let’s see what today holds.

K.
p.s.  Nice legs! Richard :lol:

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 23, 2010, 20:51:29 PM »
The lift was not so obvious today, (Sunday) on Big L. Of course Fred can fly on nothing more than a rabbits fart :evil:  but I struggled for the first part. He was doing rolls and loops while I was scratching around trying to stay in the air! :evil:  :evil:

At one point I had my (Freds’ ex) 4mtr ASW 22 sinking fast, unable to find any lift at all. I could already see the top of the plane but Fred kept shouting “Go further out! go further out!” So with the plane getting further and ‘smaller’ as she sailed out into the distance, while getting lower and lower, I resisted the urge to turn back to the slope. :(
“But Fred,” I protested, “she’s already a kilometre out from the ridge and still sinking, I’ll never get her back!” :cry:
“Keep going you’ll find something, just keep going……..use minimal input to the controls!“
So with dry lips and sweaty palms I watched this 4mtr bird shrink to the size of a dot………….and then she went up :) ……..and up a bit more :D …..and up, up, up…….And I started breathing again. :lol:

There was more ridge lift to be found further along the South slope today although still not quite as much as yesterday so it was there that I made camp and enjoyed the pleasures of the ASW and also the much repaired and patched Phase 6, which flew remarkably well considering she has a curved fuse’! Looks a bit like a banana,…..only blue and white instead of yellow!

Alas, no one else was to join us so by just after 2pm I collected up my gear and started back down the hill.
Just before arriving at the car park I met Alan who was on his way up to the slope. How did you get on Alan?

The weekend turned out much better than I had expected, although I definitely prefer ridge lift to flying out from the hill hunting for thermals. Each to their own,……but I’d rather let someone else find the therms, then I’ll fly out to them once I know where they are. (I enjoy breathing!)

K.

billscottni

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nimsa.co.uk ; www.billscott.org.uk
« Reply #80 on: May 23, 2010, 20:59:35 PM »
Can we have a "Green with envy" smiley please Fred?

Glad you all had a good weekend. I competed at NIMSA's thermal event today and came........................LAST!!

All in all NOT a great weekend!

Alan_Perse

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 23, 2010, 21:07:11 PM »
Quote from: "Happy Days"
How did you get on Alan?

Well lets just say that my K8 will need more patching and repairing like your Phase 6. Lesson learned. Do not let someone who does not know how to launch a big glider launch your big glider. But I did manage to get one very short flight with it before the bad launch. During that flight it did not fly quite right. Needs some more tweaking.

JohnPearson

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 23, 2010, 22:08:03 PM »
Hi Alan

Get that K8 repaired, It's my favourate scale model on the slope, and your model is great. Never made it to the slopes today, she who must be obeyed had other ideas :cry:  :cry:

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 23, 2010, 22:14:37 PM »
Question time: :?:

How many others were in the contest Bill? One!

Alan, did you fly your easyglider, or just the K8?

Fred was playing with his camera throughout the weekend,………………..where are the pictures Fred?

Richard; how did you find your Windrider Fox?…..I found the aileron controls rather ‘floppy’ on mine.

billscottni

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nimsa.co.uk ; www.billscott.org.uk
« Reply #84 on: May 23, 2010, 22:17:54 PM »
Question time: :?:

How many others were in the contest Bill? One!

8 Keith. My excuse is that I'm getting used to a new model that needs a little fine tuning :?:

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 23, 2010, 22:20:44 PM »
Bill, in the words of the song,…..and if you’ll pardon the pun,…..“The only way is up”
 :lol:

Alan_Perse

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 23, 2010, 22:21:14 PM »
Alan, did you fly your easyglider, or just the K8?

Yup. I few the Easy Glider as well. It was easy to fly   :P  :P .

Fred

• Slope Soaring is not a crime!
  • Administrator
  • Gliderist Simplex
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gliderireland.net
« Reply #87 on: May 24, 2010, 08:51:56 AM »
A quick message (in meeting all day in Limerick  :!:  :!: )

Well, certainly the best week end I had since last year !
Big sun, big wind in the afternoon, thermals, dynamic, everything !  :D

More tonight when I get home. I only have 3 or 4 photos though, as we were only 4 on the Saturday.
Education is important, but flying RC planes and gliders is importanter!

Fred

• Slope Soaring is not a crime!
  • Administrator
  • Gliderist Simplex
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gliderireland.net
« Reply #88 on: May 25, 2010, 12:25:11 PM »
Alright so, here are a few photos  :D
Once again, fantastic week end ! For me, on a personal note, the highlight of my week end was on Sunday morning.
Was at the slope at around 9am. Launched the Algebra, and when down scratching the tree tops down the valley for around 20 minutes or so, fighting for every centimetre of altitude until I came back up at horizon's level.. For a victory (relief) roll, and a landing! The glider at some point, was only a dot just above the pine forest... Best 1 hour flying session I had in a very long time!  :D  :D  Just regretted not to have launched the asw15... Would have been even more interresting (and I guess, slightly easier too with a much bigger machine!)... Ah well, we'll see that next year!  :P
So, here are some photos, and next official meeting for us will be in September  :D

That one's for Joe...  :wink:

BBQ!!!  :D

Happy Flyers  :D

Education is important, but flying RC planes and gliders is importanter!

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 26, 2010, 17:25:19 PM »
Thanks Fred, :clap: …….who’s the handsome guy with you in the last picture? 8)