Author Topic: Newbie Sloper  (Read 5471 times)

johnfireball

• View Profile
Newbie Sloper
« on: August 21, 2011, 22:55:06 PM »
Hi all,
       Just joined the forum tonight after meeting Fred on the Killakee slope today. Many thanks to him for assisting in getting my Plouf flying nicely. By the way Fred I flew three times more before breaking it (pilot error), opened up the old tailfin wound. To inform others of my progress with this glider I flew it first with the wing to tailplane (v tail) incidence set up as per plan and it flew well in a force 2-3 breeze (nicely balanced). I then tried it in a force 4 with gusts but needed to correct elevator trim with plenty of down to correct a nosing up tendancy. I searched the internet forums and found comments to the effect that some thought the incidence angle as per plan was too great causing a balooning effect (not sure what balooning means?) and some claiming the model unflyable in standard setup. I changed the incidence to 0 degrees as they recommended and today flying in force 3-4 found I had to fly with a lot of up elevator to keep the ship level. Question is, Do I go back to original setting where she flies perfectly in moderate winds or should I go halfway house? All advice appreciated wether I take it or not.
                                 Fred I would like to get info on those Receivers you're using, like the idea of no crystals. I'm new to all this radio gear and am somewhat bewildered by all the new fangled electro speak and end up getting stuff incompatible with the gear I have so bear with me if I ask silly questions. Why didn't my piccie post?
John.
I have the body of an 18 year old.........I keep it in the freezer

Fred

• Slope Soaring is not a crime!
  • Administrator
  • Gliderist Simplex
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gliderireland.net
Newbie Sloper
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2011, 11:04:44 AM »
Hi John,

Good to see you too yesterday at the slope  :D
3 more flights! Well done, you are getting good at this sloping thing so!  :clap:  :D

For the setup now, I would not change anything except for the CofG. If you really want to change the incidence, put 1 / 1.5 degrees, that should do it, and once again, re-work on your CG after that.

For the receivers, here they are : http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__6441__Corona_Synthesized_Dual_Conv_Receiver_8Ch_35Mhz.html

They are also known as Xpower in Topmodel, and also various other brands.
Closer to us, you can buy them at Giantcod.co.uk

Buy one, try, and make your own opinion  :D
Education is important, but flying RC planes and gliders is importanter!

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
Newbie Sloper
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2011, 14:24:29 PM »
Hello John, and welcome to the party. :D  I’ve never flown a Plouf 8)  so I don’t have any direct experience of them. :(

Fred is the guy with all the testicle, :shock: …….er sorry, that should read ‘technical’ knowledge :oops: . I have less experience than him but I’d have thought that if your plane flys nicely in some conditions, but less well in other conditions then the problem is not likely to be incidence angles.

I think  :?: if I were you, I’d set the incidence to that in the spec, (you said it flys nicely in light conditions) and in stronger winds add a little more weight / perhaps set the model to be a little bit more nose heavy.
I’ve never changed the incidence angles on any of my planes, only the total weight and or the CoG and I fly in all conditions, although mostly windy/strong lift ones. :twisted:

As for your picies not posting,  I’m wondering if they might have been too big. The max size for this forum is 600 x600. Try reducing your pics to this size and then see if they’ll post :wink:

Keith
Try not to run out of airspeed, altitude and ideas....... all at the same time.

gerryb

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
Newbie Sloper
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2011, 20:54:14 PM »
hi john and again welcome to the forum.

like keith, i don't know your model either. i do know some models were designed to fly in certain wind conditions. i have a 'bird of time' (light weight model, 3m wing span, floaty type of model). in f2 to3 winds it just floats around beautifully. f4 and up it 'balloons' upwards and tends to get blown backwards, lots of down elevator needed to get it back to safety. then again, heavier models tend not to float in light winds. so it's a case of 'horses for courses......'

in these winds you start to think of having another model, more suited to the conditions. so now you find yourself trawling the net for a new model to fill the niche. welcome to the world of silent flight!!!

by the way, 'ballooning' is where the model's nose rises up and gains height very quickly. you must be very alert here. as the model slows down at the top of the zoom it could stall and fall and crash and break and we don't ever want that to happen.
hope to meet up with you soon john,

gerryb

johnfireball

• View Profile
Sorted
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2011, 23:49:42 PM »
Hi all,
      Took Fred's  advice as simpler option, removed more noseweight and tried it this evening in force 2-3. She flew straight hands free and much easier to handle got some good flying until I broke it again. Cause. me. In my wisdom I replaced the carbon wing joiner with wooden dowel assuming it would give me a weak link and break on bad landing instead of damaging the wing as I did before. I performed a fast downwind turn back into wind and the dowel snapped (guess I underestimated the forces involved). Anyhows fixing her again. She's looking more secondhand every time I bring her out.

Fred I ordered the reciever you recommended and couldn't resist the the artf 2.6m DG1000( you wouldn't buy the wood and covering for the sale price).Probably made by children who should be in school. Do you think 1.5 kg servos would be strong enough for the ailerons and flaps on this glider(its the 2 seater with scale pilots).
John.
I have the body of an 18 year old.........I keep it in the freezer

Fred

• Slope Soaring is not a crime!
  • Administrator
  • Gliderist Simplex
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gliderireland.net
Newbie Sloper
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2011, 07:38:29 AM »
Hey John,

Well done for the flight!  :clap:
Remember, changing incidence, also change the CofG  :D

For the DG1000, 1.5Kg will be more than enough.
I would put Metal gear where you can if possible.
John P have this model, so he certainly can tell you more about it.
There is a video of his model flying somewhere in the forum, nice flyer  :D
Education is important, but flying RC planes and gliders is importanter!

skyhawk newbie

• View Profile
Newbie Sloper
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2011, 23:52:38 PM »
Welcome to the forum...

Sean

Quote from: "gerryb"

by the way, 'ballooning' is where the model's nose rises up and gains height very quickly. you must be very alert here. as the model slows down at the top of the zoom it could stall and fall and crash and break and we don't ever want that to happen.
gerryb

That happend to me the other week   :oops:
when I maidend my CMPro Ventus 2.6,it's still in need of repair,
But she will fly again  :D  
Tail and nose damage...
sorted the tail...

just go to make the time to finish the nose...

:x
Too many to name
Gliders/Planes/EDF Jets.16 total...
cars.
hpi Baja

skyhawk newbie

• View Profile
Re: Newbie Sloper
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2011, 23:59:49 PM »
Quote from: "johnfireball"
Why didn't my piccie post?
John.