Author Topic: New Glider  (Read 5617 times)

johnfireball

• View Profile
New Glider
« on: September 12, 2011, 00:42:08 AM »

Hi all,
       New glider nearly ready to go. It's a hong kong special 2.6m dg 1000. Finish is not bad (some flat spots on wings), covering was excellent on wings and moulded fuse is good. Final weight with ballast (250 grm) looks to be about 1450 grms. Cost was unreal at €100 delivered. Anyone any experience flying this model? Seen vids on utube and seems to fly ok but needs speed. Mine is the version with flaps (has semi symmetrical foreward swept wing).
John.
I have the body of an 18 year old.........I keep it in the freezer

johnfireball

• View Profile
Maiden
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2011, 23:20:23 PM »
Hi all,
       Maidened my DG1000 tonight in 10-15 knots, it flew ok, handled the gusts very well. It's certainly no floater and needs a stiff breeze. It felt somewhat sluggish on the controls, perhaps I'm not used to the larger span models. It comes down like a stone when the wind drops and speed must be kept up. I'm semi concluding it's a dog but will reserve final appraisal with more testing.
  On the last flight I was caught short and put it down flat on the scrub,the tailplane caught a bush and yanked the fin sideways cracking the fiberglass at the fin to fuselage point. When putting the model together I did think this looked like a weak spot as it could readily flex with little pressure on the tailplane. Anyway will glass it up stronger tomorrow and have another go when weather permits. I then got some nice soaring with my middle phase, It was a great evening for flying and met another flier whilst there, he was flying a Hawk yes a living one. Great to watch and an impressive regal looking animal.
Good Winds,
John.

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
New Glider
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2011, 23:52:26 PM »
Well done John. :clap:
 I’ve never flown a DG1000 but I do have some experience of other ‘T’ tailed mouldies and they all had a tendency to crack at the tail fin/fuse junction if put on the ground with much more than a gentle touch. But it’s amazing what a bit of re-glassing can achieve.  :D I’m sure you’ll have her back up in the clouds before long!

Is your middle phase the Primary or Advanced model? :?:  I love my Phase 6. It’s my favourite’st model of all time. (So far)

Where about’s in Ireland are you based. There is a glide-in at Mount Lienster this weekend, 8) …..Coming? :wink:

Keith
Try not to run out of airspeed, altitude and ideas....... all at the same time.

rogallo

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
New Glider
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2011, 09:22:22 AM »
Just remember an ounce of added glass way back there will require 7or 8 oz of lead up front!
Spots or no Spots?
Tuff Choice.

JohnPearson

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
New Glider
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2011, 10:47:50 AM »
Hi John

The dr1000 looks great, I have one of these models in the workshop. The model you have is simliar to the fly fly DR1000, which is a good flying glider in 10-20 mph winds on the slope, she is no floater however she does have a good speed range and looks good in the air. The c of g is very important on this model, the position given on the sheet supplied in the box was way out, I will check my DR1000 and post the position. Also the angle on the tail plane is very important also, at one stage I damaged the fuslage and after a repair at the tail, the model who tip stale with out warning, a quick check of the tailplane showed it to be off a little, and needed ajusted, so check yours John, also she likes large control throws in the roll.

The model will fly around the sky in a scale manner, it is not a good aerobatic model, and the wings will flex up and down if you pull hard coming out of loops, however for the money, it is a good all round little model.

If you are coming to Big L this weekend for the glider bash, bring the model and I will have a look at it.

DR1000 on the slope

johnfireball

• View Profile
New Glider
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2011, 21:54:22 PM »
Hi Keith,
          I'm planning on making the trip from Dublin to Mount Leinster on Saturday & maybe Sunday anyone got directions to flying site? I have both wings for the middle phase but generally use the aileron version. John would appreciate your sharing of knowledge on my dg. Fuse repair is almost complete, just needs paint. Look forward to meeting you all.
John.

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
New Glider
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2011, 23:54:54 PM »
Good Man John! :)

There are southerly /southwest winds forecast at the moment for the weekend so it looks like we’ll be using the south slope at Big L. (For some reason the Paragliding lads can’t use the south slope, so we’ll have it all to ourselves!) 8)

If you leave Bunclody going towards Carlow,……. just as you leave Bunclody there is a sign to Mount Lienster (A left turn opposite a furniture warehouse.)
Follow this road for,….. I guess about 8 - 10 Km. (I haven’t used that route for some years, I can’t remember too well). There is a further sign showing “TV transmitter. Mt Lienster” (another left turn) which will take you towards the car park at an area known as “Nine Stones car Park/Viewing point” I think the road is the L3005
(In fact not long after you turn left out of Bunclody you can see the two radio masts on the top of Mt. Lienster.)
If you look on this forum’s topics, just down from “Slope soaring” you’ll see “Slope Sites in Ireland” Click on that and go to “Mount Lienster” There are some directions there along with some picies. All-be-they a few years old now.

Bring your middle phase, and the DG, and the kitchen sink. If the wind is strong enough they’ll all fly! :P  

I can see Mt L. from where I live, so if I’m awake early enough on Saturday morning I’ll post a weather/visibility report. The mountain can be cloud bound sometimes. :(
Unfortunately I have to go to a wedding on Friday, :(  so I might not be up very early on Saturday.
(I’ve brought a new black arm band to wear……..I’m sure the poor fellow has no idea what he’s letting himself in for!) :cry:

Keith
Try not to run out of airspeed, altitude and ideas....... all at the same time.