Author Topic: mount leinster  (Read 3700 times)

johnfireball

• View Profile
mount leinster
« on: September 27, 2011, 23:55:17 PM »

Hi all,
           Pic of my1000cc Diahatsu turbo diesel sidecar motorcycle. Thinking of loading it up with with models for trip to mount leinster this Saturday or maybe Sunday. Long range forecast south to sse winds. Anyone be there?
John.
I have the body of an 18 year old.........I keep it in the freezer

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
mount leinster
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2011, 07:12:29 AM »
What a monster!!! I’d say you need some pretty strong arm muscles to steer that beast, for any length of time, with such a long wheel base. (Before the roads of England became congested I used to love my sidecar “outfits” or “chariots” as we used to call them.)
 Must have taken a fair bit of ‘shoe horning’ to get a thousand turbo diesel (Thank god for electric starters!) into the frame. What size engine did it have originally John? Did you have to beef up the suspension much?

Alas this weekend my time is promised to the other flying club I belong to. (Model County Flying Club)
They have a working party on Saturday, and a guest fly-in on Sunday.

Besides, the forecast for Sunday that I’m seeing today, shows light easterly/south easterly winds. This amounts to two problems at Big L. John.
The only slopes that easterlies blow on to are slopes up near the TV masts which, a) mean a very long up hill walk, and b) very rocky landing areas! In fact there are no areas up near the masts to qualify for the title “Landing area.”

Just as an addition I should tell you that the Southern slope that we were flying off of last Saturday needs a fair bit of wind to produce any sensible amounts of lift.
Wind speeds of much less than 20kph = a lot of walking up and down the slope! Unless you’re luck enough to get a strong gust when launching that  would give you the height to get right out & away from the ridge, where you’ll find more lift in lighter winds. (Out over the top of the forest area in the valley.)
The best wind directions for Big L. are SW, round to NE, (Northerlies are the best.)

Maybe you could find some slopes to fly up nearer Dublin this weekend. If not then be a “Family Man” and store up some Brownie Points for better winds in future!

I do believe the sloping bug has bitten you. Good Man John! :clap:

K.
Try not to run out of airspeed, altitude and ideas....... all at the same time.

johnfireball

• View Profile
mount leinster
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2011, 23:54:02 PM »
Hi Keith,
           Yea bit of muscle reqd, cruises nice at 60mph. Used to have a 650 boxer twin but totally underpowered and unreliable have had her up to 80mph steady as a rock. Suspension is perfect but braking was a problem. Not anymore as disc fitted at front.
Perhaps I'll give the roadtrip a miss this weekend and as for browneys the time I'm spending at home due to amount of work i'm doing these days, I could disappear for a week. Anyways maybe do it when winds are more favourable. By the way landing area + me= crash zone.
John.
I have the body of an 18 year old.........I keep it in the freezer

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
mount leinster
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2011, 00:15:15 AM »
Yea, I had an 800 boxer.  :evil:
They say there are two types of BMW owners; Those who swear by them, and those who swear at them. I’m of the latter group! I found mine to be under powered & under braked. The only good thing about boxers is that they keep your feet warm in the winter! 8)  

If you’ve already scored plenty of brownie points and fancy a trip south, I’m free to fly most days of the week. Just say “when” :D  (I live 25K from big L)

And as for crash zones. Every rc glider pilot you will ever meet knows exactly what you mean. Ask me how I know! :oops:
The sooner you can master crow braking, the easier you’ll find it. That’s my opinion. :wink:

Keith
Try not to run out of airspeed, altitude and ideas....... all at the same time.