Author Topic: SU 35 from one of our South African pilots Mike Mays  (Read 7033 times)

JohnPearson

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
SU 35 from one of our South African pilots Mike Mays
« on: November 09, 2011, 19:24:49 PM »
Hi

Here are a few photos of a pilot from South Africa Mike Mays, who I have been in contact with over the last month. Mike has designed a PSS 'SU 35' which I am glad to said has made her maiden flight over the weekend.

I will let Mike in his own words tell you all how the first flight went:

Hi John,
              Firstly thanks for your interest and assistance when I was really grasping for confirmation from outside that this beast looked like it would fly.
Not only did she fly but extremely well. The PSS fest I entered was held on a mountain just outside a sleepy little town called Volksrust, fairly near the escarpment , which means the winds generally blow in this area.
On saterday we had a nice blow of about 35kmh with gusts up to 40km/h as big thermals passed by.
After flying one of my smaller 3mtr scale ships to check out the air I decided to give it a go.I rechecked the balance and because of the strong wind decided to move the battery slightly more forward. Just before launch my helper and I decided to go full rates, rather than 50 percent incase I needed control authority in a hurry.
On giving the nod my mate Norbert threw it and after a small wobble left and the right she started climbing, I put in 2 x clicks of down initially , but once on the step I took these back out, so it flew perfect trim free. I kept reminding myself to keep the speed up but I even went into a passing thermal and slowing her down she climbed up well in the lift, the flight was about 30 minutes long and she is fairly quick , but incredibly smooth to fly, I was actually astounded by how well this thing grooves in the turns, no sign of any tip stall tendancies.

After gaining some height I circled around in the calm air at the back of the slope and just let the Su-35 mush down , it lands a bit like a brick but thankfully at least no damage.

I think I could get hooked on jets they just look awesome in the air.

Thanks Mike for sharing the joy of a first flight and a great model from  all the pilots on Gliderireland

johnP

Fred

• Slope Soaring is not a crime!
  • Administrator
  • Gliderist Simplex
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gliderireland.net
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2011, 20:22:15 PM »
Very good!  :clap:
Thanks JP, and of course Mike for sharing his work with us!  :clap:  :clap:
Education is important, but flying RC planes and gliders is importanter!

billscottni

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nimsa.co.uk ; www.billscott.org.uk
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2011, 23:09:17 PM »
Phenomenal :shock:

andrew wallace

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bmfc.btinternet.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2011, 15:25:55 PM »
:clap:  :clap: looks well in the air  :clap:
i\'m an ordinary man nothing special nothing grand

mario

• phpBB moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2011, 16:44:24 PM »
:clap:  :clap:
si t as pas d amis, prends un curly

the Pope

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2011, 19:00:04 PM »
Brilliant.;;;;;;; :clap:
melon et melèche............

woodstock

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2011, 22:32:39 PM »
I am in complete awe of Mike.  Not only is that a brilliant plane, but he seemed to build it in almost no time in composite materials from scratch!  Check out this build: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1535397.  Unbelievable. :shock:
Chris van Schoor