Author Topic: FPV and MACI  (Read 8796 times)

DennisZ

• View Profile
FPV and MACI
« on: April 03, 2012, 17:19:51 PM »
Just got a document stating the position of MACI in regard of FPV.

First Person View R/C will be a legal and recognised aspect of model flying and as such is covered by the MACI Insurance policy but ONLY where the following conditions are applied:
• The activity is solely for 'sport and recreation' purposes.
• Two MACI member pilots must take part.
• A Buddy Box system must be employed.
• The pilot in charge must operate the master transmitter.
• The pilot in charge must not wear the headset or view a screen.
• The aircraft remains within the natural unaided visual range of the pilot in charge.
• Reliable operation of the Buddy Box is established.
• A clear handover protocol is established.
• The pilot in charge is solely responsible for the safety of the flight.
• The model weight shall be limited to a maximum of 5 kg.
• The model should have the insurance number of the planes owner.
These operating conditions very clearly place the legal responsibility for the safety of the flight on the pilot in charge, additionally the responsibility for the legality of the transmitting/receiving equipment utilised also rests with the pilot in charge.

For me this is not what the rest of the world is calling FPV.

billscottni

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nimsa.co.uk ; www.billscott.org.uk
FPV and MACI
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2012, 17:35:17 PM »
Sorry Denis, that looks very similar to what the BMFA are saying too

DennisZ

• View Profile
FPV and MACI
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2012, 17:51:00 PM »
from here http://www.fpvuk.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/FPV-UK-Handbook-v1.0-20092011.pdf

7) Visual Contact / Competent Observer
Article 166(3) of the Air Navigation Order (which forms UK law) stipulates that the person in charge of a small unmanned aircraft must maintain direct unaided visual contact at all times for the purposes of collision avoidance. In practice this means that two people must participate and the pilot in charge must be the person with his eyes on the model. The FPV pilot may have control for the entire flight, if it is safe to do so, however the person in charge must be able to take over instantly if required.
Exceptions: Models under 1.8kg AUW (including fuel, if relevant) may be exempt from article 166(3) where the model meets certain criteria and specific FPV UK flying procedures are followed - including a Competent Observer.

3. Competent Observer
A ‘competent observer’ is defined as a trained and competent person designated by the person in charge of the aircraft who, by direct unaided visual observation of the aircraft, assists the person in charge with the safe conduct of the flight.

no requirement to use buddy box, just have an observer by your side.

DennisZ

• View Profile
FPV and MACI
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2012, 18:00:48 PM »
well, at least MACI provides insurance for FPV now.

billscottni

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nimsa.co.uk ; www.billscott.org.uk
FPV and MACI
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2012, 18:00:53 PM »
FPVUK was formed as a result of the BMFA's rules, which they didn't like. BMFA is still the body that the Royal Aero Club & Civil Aviation Authority will deal with re Model Flying in the UK.

Fred

• Slope Soaring is not a crime!
  • Administrator
  • Gliderist Simplex
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gliderireland.net
FPV and MACI
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2012, 20:19:46 PM »
Same rules in France (except for the pilot without the screen / goggle part, that's why there is a spotter).

But they basically follow the CIAM recommendations, with a bit of local twist.
The problem is that not a lot of FPV flyers go to the MACI meetings and therefore, their opinions are not heard  :?  (ok ok, me first, I have to admit that I haven't been at a MACI meeting in a long time! :oops: )
Education is important, but flying RC planes and gliders is importanter!

rogallo

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
FPV and MACI
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2012, 21:39:54 PM »
People here know I am a supporter of the MACI,
It may have faults but in the end it is looking out for the interest of the community as a whole.
I was asked through my club to look at the document and comment so I contacted our resident FPV flyer and he said there was nothing unreasonable here.

If people have issues they are entitled to attend a MACI meeting and have their opinion heard.

I believe the MACI has done the right thing by implementing its own rules (which it may change) before any other group NACI, IAA etc made up a set of rules for us(which we could not easily change) without any consultation with interested parties.

I think what I am saying is the MACI is all of us and if you want something changed get off your butt!

p.s. have not been to a meeting in over 5 years now :oops:  :lol:  :oops:

Ralph
Spots or no Spots?
Tuff Choice.

Fred

• Slope Soaring is not a crime!
  • Administrator
  • Gliderist Simplex
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gliderireland.net
FPV and MACI
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2012, 21:59:17 PM »
Hey Ralph,

Totally agree! Furthermore, going to the MACI meetings is always interresting. See the inside of "our" organisation. Get involved!  :D
Plus, there is always some free coffee and good chat!  :D  Well, at the time, maybe there is free beers now  :D  :mrgreen:
Education is important, but flying RC planes and gliders is importanter!