Author Topic: PSSA Great Orme Oct 2013  (Read 7954 times)

JohnPearson

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
PSSA Great Orme Oct 2013
« on: October 15, 2013, 20:23:52 PM »
Hi All

Well, now that I have recovered from a fantastic weekend flying with our fellow slope pilots from across the irish sea, on the Great Orme in Wales.
This was the last event of the 2013 PSSA flying season, and what a great event it was, with a large turn out of pilots from all over the U.K.
After an early start, my good wife Roisin and I arrived at the great Orme ski carpark around 12.00pm. Ray and Anne Jones arrived shorty after us, along with Phil Cooke and Matt, then after we had the usual hand shakes and greetings, it was off to the slope to meet up with the rest of the pilots.
The east slope was a new location for me to fly off, however the lift was fantastic, which was good, as any mistakes on the part of the pilot, would see the model end up in the sea.
Ray and I flew the two magisters first, and both flew smoothly out over the sea in the pure lift, them the two MB 339A's got a flight, again both flew well. I had a couple more flights during the day, however as always, I spent more time talking than flying, 'well it was nice to chat with some old faces and make many new friends.

My good friend Ray( designer of the Magister and MB 339a) and myself pose for a photo before a flight.

Getting the Magister ready for her first flight.

One of the most impressive flights of the day was completed by Phil Cooke
with his new MB 339A in the Peru Colours. This model was one of the Islandmodels kits, with the new RG14 wing sections and the model had full cockpit details designed by Phil. The AUW of the finish model came out at almost 7lbs, double the weight of standard model, however, the model flew fantastic in the strong lift with a fast turn of speed and a very smooth aerobatic flight performance, the best I have seen from this version of the model.

Close up of the cockpit details

Phil and myself with our two MB 339A's

With the light dropping off on the slope, it was time to go to our hotel and out for a bit of Craic in the local bars and clubs.

We arrived on the slope around 10.30am on the Sunday. Phil and Matt had already tested the lift, which was again good off the east slope. I had carried the big B52 on the roof of the car all the way over to wales, so today was the day for the big BUFF to grace the skies over the Great Orme.
Phil give me a flight with his Shooting star, which I had to fly in Mode 2 :?: 'I fly Mode 1' however after a few mins, I was happy soaring out over the sea and along the cliff edge.

With Ray and phil's help, I managed to put the BUFF together quickly and we carried it off to the slope. The looks that Phil and I got from the local walkers as we passed them was priceless, 'good god look at the size of that plane!' 'can you guys sit inside that model and fly it' and the best comment from a guy as we passed him, ' lads is that a B52 bomber, why not fly that model over Westminster and drop your bombs on them Tory bast*/~*'.  :clap:  :clap:

Phil keeping a tight grip on the B52.

Pilot and ground crew ready for take off!

When we got to the slope, surprise, surprise, the wind had dropped to 4mph, so we would have to wait about 45mins before we could fly the big Buff over the Orme.

While waiting we took a few pics with the big model.

Big Tim and myself

Simon and I get the big lady ready for flight!

Simon must have had 'three weetabix' for breakfast that morning for he managed to throw off the big Buff on his own :clap:

The flight was great and the big lady flew very smooth in the strong lift, however I did damage the model on landing breaking the fuselage behind the wind, 'I hate big ROCKS' :evil:  :evil:

Rock number one on approach!

I just missed this rock, and then had to fly into the ferns, however the model is repaired and ready for another mission :lol:

Ray with his Alpha Jet, along with Dave and myself.

This is Simon's U2 about to go off the slope.

U2 and B52 in formation

A group photo of all the pilots on Sunday

Well another event season over, and a big thankyou to Phil, Matt, Simon, Sue, Tim and all the local pilots, not forgetting my good friends Ray and Anne for a fantastic weekend, I look forward to attending next years event, and maybe a squadron of B52 bombers flying over the Great Orme :?:  :?:

Hawk172

• View Profile
PSSA Great Orme Oct 2013
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2013, 23:40:26 PM »
Great write up John - Im glad that you and Roisin enjoyed your weekends flying with us on the Orme, it was great that you travelled over with the big B-52 and all the other squadron of PSS models!!

Some more pictures from the weekend here :
http://www.flickr.com/photos/98511435@N05/sets/72157636599337904/

Fred

• Slope Soaring is not a crime!
  • Administrator
  • Gliderist Simplex
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gliderireland.net
PSSA Great Orme Oct 2013
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2013, 11:49:57 AM »
Many thanks for the photos and the story!  :clap:
Looks like you had fun!  :D

Hopefully, I will make it next year, just the motivation I need to finish my PSS!  :oops:

By the way, do you want me to move the entire section to the PSS forum?
Education is important, but flying RC planes and gliders is importanter!

bren.p

• View Profile
PSSA Great Orme Oct 2013
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2013, 23:35:42 PM »
Fantastic lads thanks for sharing your fab models.

Something we hope all to aspire too someday.

Timbo

• View Profile
PSSA Great Orme Oct 2013
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2013, 11:17:11 AM »
Nice write up JP, and great to see you and your lovely missus up the Orme again. Hope the buff went back together OK, and look forward to meeting up with you guys again soon, on either side of the sea ;-)
Brushes are for floors

Hawk172

• View Profile
PSSA Great Orme Oct 2013
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2013, 22:13:39 PM »
The event write up and photo editing is now completed and uploaded to the PSSA site HERE;

http://www.pssaonline.co.uk/events-review/Great%20Orme%20PSSA%20Event%20October%202013.htm