Author Topic: Solange...it's new to me!  (Read 23176 times)

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
Solange...it's new to me!
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2013, 23:28:29 PM »
Oh, very funny! Bren.  :clap:

If you want one, make your mind up fast. I’ll be ordering mine tomorrow morning. :D

K.
Try not to run out of airspeed, altitude and ideas....... all at the same time.

Fred

• Slope Soaring is not a crime!
  • Administrator
  • Gliderist Simplex
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gliderireland.net
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2013, 11:01:14 AM »
So, is it ordered?  :D
Education is important, but flying RC planes and gliders is importanter!

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2013, 13:41:50 PM »
Certainly is! Mr Fred, and on it’s way.

The manufacturer tells me this is the first Solange to be shipped to Ireland.

Does this mean I might be a tend setter!? :D

Keith

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2014, 12:03:20 PM »
And so I’m coming to the final stages of this build. As I’ve mentioned elsewhere on the forum I’ve not enjoyed this build. There have been too many niggly little aspects to it. :evil:

One little thing that got up my nose was that the supplied control cables for the V tail were of the old stranded metal wire type which have to have a threaded cap soldered to the ends. Not a major task in itself, but also not one that can be done with a 15 - 30 watt type pcb soldering iron. Why they couldn’t have supplied nylon snakes I don’t know, they’re much simpler and smoother running as well.

Another little ‘niggle’ that I have is about the little under-wing belly pan. I can just about grip it at the CoG with my figure tips. I don’t think I’ll have much chance holding the plane for launching using a gloved hand or in brisk winds, particularly if the belly pan were wet form a previous landing.

An interesting point is that the V tail is only secured  by a single M4 nylon screw. Fine when flying but I’m wondering how that will hold when landing on an undulating surface like the landing zones of Big L.

The instructions said to fit the supplied under-tail sub fin which was made of thin light ply. No doubt that would be fine for landing zones of long lush soft grass but I don’t know too many of those, so I changed it for something a little smaller but more substantial. (I don’t think the smaller size sub fin will impair the handling.)

The wiring is in a bit of a mess at the moment,......

and I’ve still to balance the model but with a bit of luck I might be able to take her for her first flight this Sunday, although the winds are forecast to be a bit light. :(

Let’s hope it flys better than it builds. :wink:

Little Keith

johnfireball

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2014, 13:50:41 PM »
Hi Keith,
          A cigarette lighter works well for soldering cables.
John.
I have the body of an 18 year old.........I keep it in the freezer

andrew wallace

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bmfc.btinternet.co.uk
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2014, 17:46:14 PM »
:clap:  :clap:  :clap: nice lookin model keith  hope it flies well  :D
i\'m an ordinary man nothing special nothing grand

Keith

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2014, 20:51:35 PM »
It's looking good keith 😀😃 lets hope the wind picks up for sunday

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2014, 05:08:52 AM »
Thanks lads. The proof of the pudding is in the eating so let’s see what she flys like. :D
Personaly I prefer a slightly tail heavy plane,……..I like a sensitive elevator, one that can get me out of trouble faster than I got into it :lol: , but for the test flight I’ll keep her at the recommended CoG.
Only ailerons on this model so I’ve set up some spoilerons to slow her down, should I need to for landing.

Oh John: I hadn’t thought of a cigarette lighter for the soldering! :clap:  (May be because I don’t smoke :roll: ) I actually used a big 80watt electric soldering iron that I had left over from a previous life.

So, hoping for favourable winds on Sunday, (and no low cloud) watch this space………..

Fred

• Administrator
  • Gliderist Simplex
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2014, 07:57:36 AM »
Very good build Keith!  :clap:

Soooo.. We all want to know! Any flying done yesterday?  :D

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2014, 09:06:27 AM »
Hey Fred,
Well,.........

I waited until 11.00 yesterday before setting off for the Big L. From my house I could just see a little “Crown” of cloud on the mountain. Driving up to Nine Stones I could see the cloud base was indeed low and when I arrived at the car park I could reach above my head and put my hand into the cloud. So no flying :( . An hour later and the cloud had come down lower still. :evil:  
It was horrible because if I walked just a hundred meters down the road from the car park the air was clear! (But with no visible landing zone available)

So, to cut a long story short, a brief clearing in the cloud occurred around 12.30. The wind was slightly off slope at a variable 10 -30Kph. I tried my trusty old retainer (Phase 6) which flew well on the gusts but languished during the lulls, which made me cautious about putting the Solange in the air. But then I could see a mass of lower cloud approaching the bottom of the slope so I landed quickly before the cloud enveloped me at the top of the slope! :shock:

An hour latter another brief (10 minute) window of clearing in the cloud occurred but with lighter winds and further cloud approaching I didn’t want to risk the Solange landing “Out” and the incoming cloud obscuring her whereabouts :oops: , so I didn’t get to maiden the Solange at all! :!:

The weather patterns on the mountain can be very frustrating, particularly at this time of year.

During my times of inactivity I got talking to a local ‘old timer’ who come over to ask about the models. He told me that many years ago they used to fly full size gliders off of the Nine Stones area 8) . I asked him where they could have landed, he said he was only a lad then and couldn’t remember. (Perhaps they landed  in the fields in the valley below.)

As I’m writing this I’m also looking out of the window. The winds are still N - NW, which is good, but the cloud base is very low and completely obscuring the mountain.
Maybe it will lift by this afternoon……………I’ll let you know.

Little Keith

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2014, 19:21:09 PM »
Do you have trouble getting to sleep at night? :(  Keep thinking about the todays events, do you? and worrying about what tomorrow will bring? :cry:
Relax, and read this report. It’ll have you catching up on those zzzzzzz’s in no time. :arrow:

And it came to pass that the day to maiden the Solange arrived.
Bedecked in the Keithy’s standard colour scheme, Blue and white on top, Red and a yucky mustard colour underneath, she was displayed to the world for the first time on the west slope of the Big L.
Wind was an almost constant 25Kmph straight on to the slope. Good visibility. Ten degrees Centigrade.

Because I hadn’t enjoyed building this model I had pre-formed the opinion that I wasn’t going to like her flying characteristics either. Apart from a couple of ’niggles’ she proved to be quite a pleasant little flyer in fact.

Once out in the lift it took four down clicks to bring her into straight and level flight. The lift was nothing great but she floated along rising nicely on the lifts and not loosing too much height elsewhere. Turns were firm and precise.  The Stall was gentle and clean, with no inclination to tip stall and, bearing in mind that for this first flight I had put her CoG 10mm forward of that recommended, her 360 rolls were pretty good. Not fast and a little barrel’y (Not axial) but pleasant enough to watch with no great loss of height. Loop-the-loop? Well yes, all models will loop given enough entry speed of course, although inverted flight didn’t seem to be her forte, not today anyway.
It wasn't really the conditions to test for flat out speed, that will have to wait. I was quite impressed with the amount of rudder authority she has. I’ve only flown a couple of other V tails with rudder operation and this Solange has much more than those others. Stall Turns are quite easy and without the need to input aileron to sharpen the turn in.

How about the landings? I’d already mixed in 25% down elevator with the spoileron function for air braking. When I tried the brake, while she was out in the lift, no unhealthy pointers were noted so in towards the landing zone I bought her. A procedural turn bought her into wind, and she slowed up considerably, but not enough to land so out she went again into the lift. A slow sweeping turn out to the right, to bring her over the L.Z. again, and another turn into wind but this time I fed in a little brake. After a pause she started to loose height and slow down. Gentle forward pressure on the stick with a wee bit more brake had her nestling onto the grass and slithering to a halt. All in all, pretty satisfying.

It’s too early to say whether this model will replace my love for the Phase 6, frankly I rather doubt it, but this is a stable little model with no apparent flying vices. I say “Flying vices” because, as I said earlier, she does have a couple of niggley ‘difficulties’ shall we say. But certainly in her present set up (with forward CoG) she would make a nice advanced trainer/ intermediate model.

As I see it there are two problems. (Oh sorry, we don’t have problems in this day and age do we! I should have said “there are two issues”, ) although one is more ‘inconvenient’ than a problem as such. Being a low wing model the wing, obviously, attaches to the bottom of the fuse. This means that to fit the wing you have to turn the fuse up-side-dawn. The problem (issue) here is trying to keep the V tail off the ground while connecting the aileron servo leads and securing the wing bolt. This can  be overcome by using a model stand of course, but then I’ll have to remember to bring one with me to the slope. I don’t have to for any other model so I’ll likely forget it as many times as I remember!
The other problem is a definite problem, (big issue) and it comes back to that narrow belly pan under the wing.
With most high wing/shoulder wing gliders there is plenty of fuselage to grip around the CoG  when launching it. But with the Solange I could barely hold onto the model for launching by myself. If I tried to hold the fuse forward of the wing the model ‘fell’ backwards onto my forearm. (Making for a very high angle of attack) If I held the fuse rearward of the wing the model nosed downward. (That’s not much good either)
The only place to hold the model near the CoG is by using my figure tips to grip the sides of that thin belly pan.

I had stuck some fine sand paper either side of the belly pan to try and give myself some more grip. It worked a little but trying to launch this plane by myself in strong winds, or with a gloved hand will be almost impossible.
The only way round it is to have someone else launch it for me, or drag out a bungee on top of the slope and launch her straight out into the lift with that.
Knowing how much of a lazy sod I am, I probably wont bother with the bungee. So this is almost certainly going to be a fair weather model only.

Still not asleep yet??? Oh well, read on……………..

Here is the Solange and the Phase 6.  With almost the same W span, fuse length, and tail moment. As you can see the Sloange has a greater sweep on its wing and has a slightly larger Chord. The airfoil section is completely different. Although both are semi symmetric the Solange is more “Flat bottomed”.
The Solange is sporting the very latest in white nose bands today. ( Because I haven’t figure out a way of holding the top of the canopy on yet.)

Whilst flying the Solange today I noticed an ‘anomaly’ while she was flying straight and level without any input from me. She tended to build up a slight oscillation in yaw. If I inputted any rudder, aileron or elevator the oscillation would stop immediately.  
I wondered if I should have fitted the larger sub fin below the V tail as recommended in the manual. But then I thought that there are plenty of other V tails with no sub fin at all and they don’t have this problem with yaw oscillation.

I only flew the Solange twice today but I noticed that by the second flight this oscillation was getting more pronounced. Unable to figure a reason for it I flew her low and close to me across the landing zone. It was then I saw the apparent cause.
The V tail was loose relative to the fuse and the yaw movement coincided with the ‘wobbling’ of the tail.
Once again I took her out into the lift, swung her round to the right in a large sweeping turn,…. back over the LZ,…. turn her into wind,…. apply a little bit of brake,…. keep the wings level,…. slight forward pressure on the stick,…. She touched down sliding over the wet grass to come to a stop.
Inspection of the tail showed the tail was indeed loose. It’s retained by a single M4 nylon screw. I imagined that this must have come loose. However, a half turn with a screwdriver merely caused the head of the screw to break off! I don’t think that the little M4 is up to the job. I’ll glue the whole of the V tail to the fuse before I take her out again for further trials.

Another little job for the workshop.

Are you still awake???

Look,….here’s a trick for getting to sleep that works every time.

Just lay on the very edge of the bed,……..you’ll soon drop off!……………………………...... :lol:

L. Keith

selleri

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2014, 01:07:04 AM »
Congrats on the maiden!   :clap:
Sverrir - Icelandic Volcano Yeti

Keith

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2014, 22:10:04 PM »
Well done ..

Fred

• Administrator
  • Gliderist Simplex
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2014, 11:42:21 AM »
A bit late!
Congrats on the first flight Keith!  :clap:

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2014, 15:42:29 PM »
Thanks Lads.

The tail is now permanently secured to the fuse and the CoG is set to a little rearward the recommended setting. I’m looking forward to seeing how this little girl performs in some of the stronger winter winds. :twisted:

L. Keith