Author Topic: Great small flier  (Read 7021 times)

johnfireball

• View Profile
Great small flier
« on: August 06, 2014, 22:34:02 PM »
Hi All,
      Here's a little model I made last week, constructed from 12" barbeque skewers for leading, trailing edges and spars , a few sheets of 1/16 balsa, a 3mm carbon rod. Wingspan is 25" and using 3 hobbyking 5 grm servos(aileron, elevator, rudder), hobbyking motor and 10 amp speed control.
It fits an 800mah 2s lipo in the fuse up front and is good for 10 mins+ flight time. Prop is an 8x6 inch attached using propsaver. The wing is symmetrical in section. Flying weight is 200g.
I have to say this is the best small model I have ever flown, even in strong wind it is easy to handle and very manouverable capable of walking speeds or zooming around. If anyone is interested in building one I would supply more details. It's a simple build as the built up tail feathers can be replaced with balsa sheet.  
John.
I have the body of an 18 year old.........I keep it in the freezer

jumbo

• View Profile
Great small flier
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2014, 21:46:16 PM »
Very nicely done   :clap:  :clap:  . Would you have more photos of the fuselage. How are the wings attached?

stephen.shannon

• View Profile
Great small flier
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2014, 14:13:55 PM »
Nice one, these types of builds are great fun. I'm trying something myself at the minute.... more to follow.

S
Our deepest fear is not that we are weak but that we are powerful beyond measure..... Marianne Williamson

johnfireball

• View Profile
Great small flier
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2014, 00:25:34 AM »

Hi Jumbo,
             See pic of fuse underside (excuse the damage, had a little incident flying last night). Its basically 3 servos glued between 2 sheet sides of 1/16 balsa with a box up front to hold the battery. The carbon rod runs the full length of the fuse with a ply motor mount glued to the front. For the wing mount I sheeted the lower center section with 3/16 balsa from leading to trailing edge and did not cover this section. This then glues flat onto the fuse top after covering.
John.
I have the body of an 18 year old.........I keep it in the freezer