Author Topic: Epoxy and Polyester Resin  (Read 4290 times)

Alan_Perse

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
Epoxy and Polyester Resin
« on: June 29, 2014, 15:37:30 PM »
Hi All.
Just wondering, can you use Epoxy resin to glue things into a fuselage that's made from polyester resin? Trying to get my Pat Teakle Vega ready for this aerotow next month. I think the fuselage is made from polyester so wondering if using epoxy in it is ok. I have Delux Materials Speed Epoxy 2 and it says on the box that if I want to stick things to polyester I have to use Delux materials Fusion, not speed epoxy. I don't see why I can't use the speed epoxy.

billscottni

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nimsa.co.uk ; www.billscott.org.uk
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2014, 23:26:19 PM »
I can't remember which way round it is Alan, but either polyester doesn't stick to epoxy or epoxy doesn't stick to polyester.  :!:

Suspect it's probably epoxy doesn't stick to polyester as un gel coated polyester normally has a "waxy" feel.

May improve your chances by abrading well and wiping down with meths or denatured alcohol  :?:

Alan_Perse

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2014, 08:32:48 AM »
Thanks for the reply Bill.
I did an internet search and it appears that epoxy will stick to polyester, but you have to prepare the surface very well by sanding and then wiping it down as you said. Polyester apparently does not stick to epoxy. Still don't understand why it says on the box that you can't use speed epoxy 2 on polyester. I guess I'll use a different epoxy just in case.