Author Topic: FAO: Fred.  (Read 9034 times)

Adrian14MZ

• View Profile
FAO: Fred.
« on: November 25, 2015, 02:31:40 AM »
Hi Fred, re Insurance.
How does the A + B cert test work/apply to a new person wanting to get into the hobby but only wants to fly Gliders from registered slopes ( ie. Joins the ISR ). How does he do his A or B cert test and if he is a novice starting out, is it not necessary for him to have an A or B cert model pilot stand beside him, as he fly's, just like standard powered MACI affiliated clubs.  

Adrian.
Fly Futaba every time.

Fred

• Slope Soaring is not a crime!
  • Administrator
  • Gliderist Simplex
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gliderireland.net
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2015, 07:59:12 AM »
Hi Adrian,

There is no A and B cert for gliders (so far!)

On another word, we don't think like power flyers :) We are much cooler  :P

New comer, just come and enjoy the hobby with us. No questions asked! (well, insurance is a plus :) ) Help will be provided by whoever is here, and he don't even have to be an ISR club member. And free. Might even get some drinks and food in the process :)

Now, if the same guy goes to other slopes and events that are handled by other clubs / people, I can't answer, but officially, there is no A+B certs, and I guess local club rules applies.

I can ask the question at the AGM on Saturday, as I have to admit, I don't have a clue what is the "official" answer, but maybe someone knows (Ralph?)
Education is important, but flying RC planes and gliders is importanter!

rogallo

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2015, 10:27:25 AM »
Hi,
   first if you read the section from the MACI website it explains all of this.
I would advise that all ISR events are MACI published events and thus are subject to the rules and regs of the MACI. People are welcome to attend any of our events but should note we expect all flyers to have adequate insurance cover. It is in all of our interests for this to be the case. If a person wishes to fly in a public space we have no control over the individual but as far as the ISR are concerened they are individuals and not participants in our events.

Please note we welcome everyone to our events but we must also safeguard the members of our club and the MACI.

please read MACI regarding the insurance cover as they provide the insurance cover through their insurers and not the ISR.

I hope this answers your question.

http://www.maci.ie/rulebook/AB-cert-rules.html

(PDF version includes schedules for the aerobatic and helicopter A and B tests)

The main aim of the A and B Achievement Schemes is to encourage model flyers to reach a minimum standard of flying ability and safety and to promote a desire for personal betterment in achieving as high a standard as possible in their flying.

Two R/C power categories are covered:

(A) Fixed Wing Aircraft
    (H) Helicopters

M.A.C.I. will not charge any fees for any A or B certificate examination.

There shall be 2 achievement levels for R/C powered model flying:

The A Certificate level
    The B Certificate level

The A certificate shall generally be an acknowledgement of a person's capability to control an R/C model in a safe manner in normal circumstances without the assistance of a supervising instructor.

The B certificate shall generally be an acknowledgement of a person's capability to control an R/C model in such a manner that he/she is able to fly at a public display. A member must pass the relevant “A” certificate before completing the B Certificate.

MACI do not guarantee any capability or the performance of any individual as a result of the issue of an achievement certificate. The certificate only states that the candidate achieved the required standard during the test.
Spots or no Spots?
Tuff Choice.

Fred

• Administrator
  • Gliderist Simplex
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2015, 11:15:56 AM »
What he said ^^

Thanks Ralph. Insurance is a must, more especially for us who fly in "public" places.
After that, I think we all agree, we will not stop anybody flying because they don't have their A or B certs (I have none here, but I have all the French ones :) )

Adrian14MZ

• View Profile
SO ?.
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2015, 11:43:47 AM »
Hi Lads.

So does this mean or are you saying that we, the members of the ISR do not need an A or B cert to cover us by MACI Insurance, against any accident that may occur, unless we are flying an Electric Powered Gliders off any of the recognised slopes within the 26 Counties. I take it, the ISR, are paying an affiliation fee to MACI and it is registered as a recognised Club within the MACI and its individual members pay the MACI fee for their membership No. IRL 346 + Insurance cover. If this is the case and it looks like Slope Soaring is in a Grey area within our Insurance cover. Should we not seek clarity re this question and get the answer in writing from the powers that be. One never knows what is around the corner and it may be needed some-day.

Adrian.
Fly Futaba every time.

rogallo

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2015, 11:49:09 AM »
I am being deliberately vauge as it is for MACI to report what you are and are not covered for. Also I would not publish in a public place , such as this, what you are and are not covered for. MACI have an insurance officer. If you have a question I would reccomend contacting him.
Spots or no Spots?
Tuff Choice.

Adrian14MZ

• View Profile
Fly Futaba every time.

Fred

• Administrator
  • Gliderist Simplex
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2015, 13:48:17 PM »
Howdy.
We are fully covered, this has been "covered" already.

As Ralph said, any issues or deep questions, can be asked to the MACI insurance  officer (details for contact are on the MACI webpage of course).

Fred

Adrian14MZ

• View Profile
Asking questions on the Forum.
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2015, 10:48:17 AM »
After reading this on the Forum, I asked Fred a question:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:53 pm    

Funnily enough just yesterday I was flying off the north slope of Mt Lienster and a member of the public walked up to me and asked if I had any insurance to cover personal injury to other members of the public who were milling around the landing area.

I know from experience that the only time people look at the small print of their policies is when they come to make a claim, ie when it’s too late to change anything on their policy.

Thanks again Fred. Wink

Little Keith

-------------------------

Now my original question to Fred was as follows: Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:31 am    

Hi Fred, re Insurance.
How does the A + B cert test work/apply to a new person wanting to get into the hobby but only wants to fly Gliders from registered slopes ( ie. Joins the ISR ). How does he do his A or B cert test and if he is a novice starting out, is it not necessary for him to have an A or B cert model pilot stand beside him, as he fly's, just like standard powered MACI affiliated clubs.

Adrian.

------------------------------

So:
I will refrain from asking questions on the Forum in the further.

Yours in Model Aviation.

Adrian. IRL 346.
Fly Futaba every time.

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2015, 19:47:32 PM »
:oops:  Er,.........this seems to have become a rather heated thread, so without wishing to 'fan any flames'  what did the Insurance man at MACI tell you Adrian?

Keith
Try not to run out of airspeed, altitude and ideas....... all at the same time.