Author Topic: I want a Blender  (Read 19973 times)

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
I want a Blender
« on: October 10, 2011, 10:27:26 AM »
Okay Lads, I need some info on a manoeuvre that Richard has told me that I have to master before I die, called a “Blender” 8)

I’ve been trying this with my Phase 6 glider and a powered model but with only little and intermittent success. :!:

So, like all bad pilots I’m beginning to blame the models!! :roll:

I want to know; is it possible to perform this manoeuvre on a plane with a semi-symmetric wing? :?:  I ask because the only time I’ve seen it done was in the hands of ‘magician’ Richard who was using a model which had a symmetric wing.

So, what’s the answer lads??

Keith :)
Try not to run out of airspeed, altitude and ideas....... all at the same time.

Fred

• Slope Soaring is not a crime!
  • Administrator
  • Gliderist Simplex
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gliderireland.net
I want a Blender
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2011, 10:33:20 AM »
How does your models spin on the back?
That would be a good start.
Need big rudder on a glider to give the kick. You can also move your CG slightly more back.

But try to do flat inverted spins first, and see how it goes, as if that don't do them well, the snap will not gives you the spin if you see what I mean  :D
Education is important, but flying RC planes and gliders is importanter!

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
I want a Blender
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2011, 10:46:07 AM »
Thanks Fred.
How do I get the model into a flat inverted spin. (I thought that is what a “Blender” was. ie a flat inverted spin.)

What I’ve been trying was to………..
1/ Put the plane into steep, fast dive.
2/ Full right aileron, (to create a fast roll)
3/Full opposite rudder
4/ release aileron , and input forward elevator (to put the plane inverted)

When I watched Richard do all the above his Fox ended up in an inverted flat spin. :clap:

So what are you suggesting I should try Fred? Can you list the control inputs as I’ve just done please.

L&K

Keith.

Fred

• Administrator
  • Gliderist Simplex
    • View Profile
I want a Blender
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2011, 11:18:19 AM »
I am no expert, Richard will certainly do a better job than me here, but you should do a snap roll after the dive, end on the back , and then inverted flat spin.

You can train by decomposing the sequence.

Do some snap rolls, and try to end them inverted.

Flat inverted spin, well, it's a spin, but on the back  :wink:
Flat, you need lots of ailerons, rudder, elevator inputs. But as usual anyway, practice, practice!

Now, the glider you are using might not be the best suited for that.
You will do the snap rolls ok with speed, you will spin, but might not look like in the manual due to machine limitations!

And here we go, we can blame the glider! Easy!  :D

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
I want a Blender
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2011, 12:17:46 PM »
Okay Fred,
this sounds like a lot of fun. And if there’s one thing I enjoy,…..it’s having FUN! :lol:

I must tell Santa that I need a new aerobatic plane for Xmas, because Fred has told me I do!!!

Richard, Oh, RICHARD! Give me your input. And if you tell me I need a new plane as well, then Santa might bring me two! :clap:  
(Life gets better. :wink: )

K.

Richard Boyd

• View Profile
I want a Blender
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2011, 14:12:35 PM »
Hi Keith, Fred has given you the just of how to do a flat spin, you can enter a spin very easy from a blender/then snap. You can go into it either inverted or upright.
I find it easier to go in inverted, so I practise upright more often lol
your phase 6 should preform this maneuver with ease,  mine did !
Keep practising until you feel comfortable with the spin and then the snap.
you did it on your first attempt at Mt. L so keep up the good work.

You gave me on of the best laughs of the weekend,

Thanks Mr.Keith
Richard Boyd
A bad days flying is better than a good days work.

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
I want a Blender
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2011, 17:53:06 PM »
Thanks Richard. I’m still trying but I seem to be getting worse at it, not better. (I’ve known of this before when trying to learn something new.)

But tell me,……….you said your phase 6 did it, but is it not true that your Phase 6 had a symmetrical wing? :?:

Just as an aside. (If you hadn’t noticed, I tend to do this on threads. :wink: )

Last Thursday morning I was flying my ASW 22 on the west slope of Big L. By about 1.30pm I packed it all up into the car and drove home. But when I got home I noticed that I’d left the wing joiner at the slope. BUGGER! :evil:

I took the ASW, and the Phase 6 up to the same slope today. Luckily the wing joiner was still there, and no one had driven over it so it was still straight. :)  

I assembled the ASW and had a good flight with it. Then landed it and assembled and flew the Phase 6. All was good. :D
After some cups of tea and biscuits, (chocy biscuits, of course!) and a few more flights of the Phase 6 trying to do this bloody manoeuvre, (Blender :evil: ) I noticed the plane was misbehaving. :shock:  
To cut a long story short, the ballast retainer in the fuse had come loose and the CoG was constantly changing.
Not being something I could fix at the slope, I packed it all up and started driving home. After a few minutes I noticed the car sounded different………….it wasn’t rattling as much as it had when I drove out to the slope this morning. Hhmmmmm?
I pulled into Nine stones Car park. Had a look around the car. Happened to glance towards the west slope where I’d been flying. There, all alone, sitting on the top of the slope was the ASW 22. :oops:

How could I have forgotten it?? It’s not exactly small. (4mtr w.s.)

I think I must be going soft in the head. Last week I forgot the wing joiner, this week I forgot the entire plane!!
No doubt next week I’ll forget the car and walk home. :roll:

K.

andrew wallace

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bmfc.btinternet.co.uk
I want a Blender
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2011, 21:37:44 PM »
:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
hey keith you drinking that red wine your Mrs likes or smokin something  :lol:  :lol:
i\'m an ordinary man nothing special nothing grand

Richard Boyd

• View Profile
I want a Blender
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2011, 07:41:53 AM »
Hi Keith , do not listen to the young Andrew Boyo, he has it all infront of him lol
I forget what day it is , never mind leaving wing joiners, I left 2 of them in JP'S camper  :!:

Yip your right about my 6 wings, but I think it is not an issue. Plenty of rudder and elevator and you will be fine.
After all I watched you perform a really good blender on your first attempt.
I would suggest that you are now thinking to much on the imputs and not relaxing, maybe you got a fright and you are trying too hard to ge it right.
Just relax and think of Natasha, skow gentle movements leading to a few thrusts of the sticks into a snap and flat spin.

Practise it on your flash, but make sure to get plenty of speed on the down spin and use throttle when your in the flat spin, I mean full throttle.

For the rest of you here is Natasha, she like big PROPs, I have asked for her to come to Ireland and feel my tow releaser, she has not replied  :roll:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/v/joNIzrXiiCA[/youtube]
Richard Boyd
A bad days flying is better than a good days work.

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
I want a Blender
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2011, 08:15:05 AM »
Thanks for those pointers Richard.
I have tried it with my Flash. Having a symmetrical wing I thought I should be able to do it. It didn’t work very well, but then I was cutting the throttle so it would act like a glider. Now I know I should have been opening the throttle!!! (No wonder it didn’t work)

As for your suggestion of me thinking too much about it,……..I totally agree, I think I’m ‘trying too hard’ And yes, I did get a fright,……But it was FUN wasn’t it! 8)  (I enjoy a bit of excitement. )
Thank you for your comments. I shall persevere. :wink:

As for Natasha liking BIG props :shock: ……………..I‘d be no good to her, after all, I haven’t got one :oops: !

(Not on my gliders anyway!!)

K.

Arthur89777

• View Profile
Re: I want a Blender
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2016, 18:20:33 PM »
So, you want to learn the Blender.
The glider is not for this, ofcourse. Maybe you can try the trainer, like this one?
http://www.rcfair.com/52052/blogs/view_entry/14200/

Fred

• Administrator
  • Gliderist Simplex
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2016, 15:44:12 PM »
I like that! :-*

Arthur89777

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2016, 15:25:02 PM »
So, it's very nice you like it)
And how about this one?
http://www.rcfair.com/blogs/view_entry/13244/
I think it's nice blender too)))