Author Topic: phase 6 test flight  (Read 46226 times)

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
phase 6 test flight
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2009, 15:11:44 PM »
To be honest Luke, I don't know of any planes that come out of a dive without at least a little "up" evelator.
Certainly none of mine do :?:

May be I'm misunderstanding you. :?:  Are you saying you expect the plane to pull it'self out of a dive?

I've always found that if a plane is in a dive I have to pull back on the stick for a moment to return the model to level flight. When it's in level flight I can let go of the controlls and (if properly trimmed) she'll continue in straight and level flight.

As for changing the angle of incidence,...............seems a bit drastic, and Fred is your man (or woman if he's wearing his frenchmaids outfit!) for matters relating to that.

Been flying my Phase 6 today. :D  Thoroughly enjoyed it. Provided it's balanced at the correct point and trimmed properly it's a lovely model. (And mine weighs 25% more than recomended.)
Very agile although, as we've said, rather quick.

If you're finding the Phase 6 a bit of a handfull, why not go back to your  foamie for a while, and then return to the Phase later. Or convert the Phase to twin aileron servos  so you can use spoilerons to slow her for landing. They certainly slow the plane up when landing.(Just an idea)

K.
Try not to run out of airspeed, altitude and ideas....... all at the same time.

DennisZ

• View Profile
phase 6 test flight
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2009, 15:45:39 PM »
Quote from: Happy Days
I don't know of any planes that come out of a dive without at least a little "up" evelator.
  Are you saying you expect the plane to pull it'self out of a dive?
I've always found that if a plane is in a dive I have to pull back on the stick for a moment to return the model to level flight. When it's in level flight I can let go of the controlls and (if properly trimmed) she'll continue in straight and level flight.

(sorry for interrupting)

according to basic aerodynamics,
plane trimmed for straight and level flight at given air speed
will recover from a dive as it's air speed increases - increase of speed will cause increase of a lift.

whether it has enough altitude is another question :(

just my 2c.

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
phase 6 test flight
« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2009, 18:45:28 PM »
WWWOOOooo,............HEAVY ALERT! :shock:

Aerodynamic theory,.........Increase in air speed causes increase in lift (and drag)

I'm afraid that's all far toooooo complicated for a simpleton like me Dennis.
I was just telling my friend Luke what I had experienced from flying the same model of plane.

I leave all the testicle stuff to people like you who understand it! :clap:

Keith

joe

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.islandsloperebels.com
phase 6 test flight
« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2009, 19:21:03 PM »
I usually set up my scale type models to be slightly nose heavy, so in a 45 degree dive they will gently pull out by themselves. For more aero stuff I try get it neutral. I'm only talking about gliders here.

Usually a nose heavy glider will pull out and a tail heavy glider will steepen it's dive which can be a little scary! :shock:  :shock:

Fred

• Slope Soaring is not a crime!
  • Administrator
  • Gliderist Simplex
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gliderireland.net
phase 6 test flight
« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2009, 19:22:21 PM »
Hey there,

Very quick answer, changing nappies duty !  :D

Luke, if you put your glider in a 45 degrees dive, and release the stick, if he go more down, your CG is too backward.
If he goes up, CG is too forward...

Idealy, the glider should recover slowly from the dive...

Of course, for a sport glider, aerobatic ones should stay in the 45 degrees dive (neutral..) etc etc...

So, for me, and as the test shows, you need to put a bit of lead on the nose, and try again...
Changing the incidence, up to a certain point, will only change the flying attitude of the glider, that's all.

As I said, CG and incidence goes both together...

Find the correct CG, Incidence will not matter.
Like the guys who always put a piece of wood on the stab to change the incidence on a mouldy, when the issue certainly come from an incorrect CG.
You should see Marcel Guyang changing the incidence of his F3F models putting whatever incidence, and fly like nothing ever changed on his machine by just adjusting the CG... After this demonstration, well, you simply open your eyes on this Incidence/CofG relation...

Fred
Education is important, but flying RC planes and gliders is importanter!

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
phase 6 test flight
« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2009, 19:49:28 PM »
I'd been understanding Luke's term of "dive" to mean a straight vertical decent.

luke

• View Profile
phase 6 test flight
« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2009, 09:55:41 AM »
wow, jeez lads thanks alot. i seem to have opened up an aerodynamical can of worms here  :lol:

ok.... The Facts:
when pushed into a  45+ degree dive she keeps going straight with no hint of coming up, AND doesnt tuck under either.
she is at the stated c.g. 4 1/2 inches from the l.e.
she is also a heavy bird 3 1/4 pound weight recomended weight is approx 21/2 - 2/3/4 pound weight

the only other thing im thinking is that, when fitting the horiz stab i had to do a little bit of filling (because it was very tight) therefore ,did i unknowns to my self change the angle of incidence?????

and if i did will tipping the wing down decreasing the angle of incidence by say 1 or 2 degree , how will that effect flight e.g handling AND c.g.
Add that to the pot  :D

Fred

• Administrator
  • Gliderist Simplex
    • View Profile
phase 6 test flight
« Reply #37 on: March 26, 2009, 11:50:57 AM »
Short answer,

Handling same, flight attitude changes, CofG changes.

Fred

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
phase 6 test flight
« Reply #38 on: March 26, 2009, 12:43:10 PM »
So there's your answer Luke. And for your info, my Phase 6 weighs exactly the same as yours, 3.25lbs (52ozs) :clap:

luke

• View Profile
thank you all
« Reply #39 on: March 26, 2009, 13:01:05 PM »
Thank you all very much for all your input :clap: . so the short version is that i can play away with the incidence , but she will still handle the same  :oops:
i weighed the amount of lead needed to balance her aswell does it seem excessive at 100 grms ?it just seems alot to me
ill just keep playing around with the rates until im happy(ish)
thanks again lads

Fred

• Administrator
  • Gliderist Simplex
    • View Profile
phase 6 test flight
« Reply #40 on: March 26, 2009, 13:30:57 PM »
You're welcome  :D
Most important anyway, is that you are happy with the way your machine fly/handle.

As for the incidence, of course, all that is up to a certain extend (even if you can be surprised how far you can go into the incidence before you have something that fly really badly).  :D

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
phase 6 test flight
« Reply #41 on: March 26, 2009, 14:24:09 PM »
I needed more than 100grms to balance mine Luke, and that's with a 1800mA battery in the nose.  :wink:

Fred

• Administrator
  • Gliderist Simplex
    • View Profile
phase 6 test flight
« Reply #42 on: March 26, 2009, 14:29:13 PM »
Quote from: "Happy Days"
I needed more than 100grms to balance mine Luke, and that's with a 1800mA battery in the nose.  :wink:

:?:  Battery pack fully charged or not ?

Not the same weight...   :mrgreen:

I'm far away already, don't look for me... 8-[

Alan_Perse

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
phase 6 test flight
« Reply #43 on: March 26, 2009, 16:13:48 PM »
Quote from: "Happy Days"

I'm the same. I think I needed 300g to balance my Ruby.

luke

• View Profile
phase 6 test flight
« Reply #44 on: March 27, 2009, 10:31:27 AM »
thanks again lads,
i think i will have to revisit the test flight, ive been tinkering around with the rates, ive the rates reduced to about 50 % in both aileron and elevator.
to try and tame her down abit
and im now waiting patiently for the next test flight.