Author Topic: Opinion please  (Read 8193 times)

goreyflyer

• View Profile
Opinion please
« on: January 20, 2017, 22:43:27 PM »
Hi all
I'm looking for some feedback, an opinion or from the correct retail standards point of view.

I have been in contact with a uk retailer who stocked a particular model plane I've always liked and there was also a dealer in Germany who also stocked the same model.

The price including delivery from Germany was ?338.00

I contacted the reatailer in the Uk who informed me he "thinks" the kit was ?221.00 (sterling).

He contacted the supplier for me for a correct price and shipping costs to Ireland
Which he confirmed the kit was ?221.00 plus ?70.00 delivery a total of ?291.00 or ?344.00 euros.

Emails confirm the two times that the price of ?221.00 quoted.

As I'm from over there! I thought I would support a uk bassed shop and place my order. Payment with visa debit card.
Today he called me...
Good news the plane is on the way but I priced the model incorrectly and it's another ?100.00 sterling
I have explained that if I would have known this I would have never ordered from him and gone to The German retailer.
He has admitted over the phone it's his mistake.

But I find the idea of now having to pay him ?100 extra a little smart for his mistake.

I realise we all make mistakes, or this is a bit of a scam he may be pulling.

Thoughts please.
Rob

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
Re: Opinion please
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2017, 07:47:49 AM »
Citizens Advise Center would be a good place to start with this I think Rob.

I believe you'll find that it will all come down to how the confirmation email was worded. If 221 was a 'Quote' than that is the highest price the seller can charge you for the item.
If 221 was an 'Estimate', then the final price can be higher.

Good luck 'ol fruit

Keith
Try not to run out of airspeed, altitude and ideas....... all at the same time.

goreyflyer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2017, 12:32:36 PM »
Hello handsome

As per the email.

"Robert

The pc 21 is ?221.00 plus delivery of ?70"

So to me that's not a quote now but a confirmed price.

He has admitted it's his fault, but I don't really see why I should now have to pay an additional ?100 for his mistake??!?!?

Rob

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2017, 17:24:03 PM »
Hi Sexy,

I assume his admission of fault was only verbal, however if you've quoted exactly as per your last post I'd say you've got him by the "short & curlies." ie he's offered you the model for a specific price. Therefore it's his mistake = he pays for his mistake.
Sweet and simple,..... just like me! ;D

k.

Fred

• Slope Soaring is not a crime!
  • Administrator
  • Gliderist Simplex
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gliderireland.net
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2017, 18:44:35 PM »
AAwww Keith, are you seeing someone else! :(

Anyway, that sound fishy to me! And 100? is quiet a mistake as well. Would be curious what is the amount on the bill in the box.
If it says 344?, well, that's it. You paid what is on the bill, end of story.

You can send it back also, he must pay for it (European law if you return it within 7 days), but you will need to ask the money upfront, as he might refund it without the shipping cost, and you end up at loss!
Tricky one I have to say. I would get the package, check the bill, and take it from here.

On a side note, I have to say, and unfortunately, I very very rarely order anything from the UK. Last time I did, they tried to get me on shipping (International shipping... For Ireland, when an European shipping was available... Excuse was Ireland was an Island... No sh#t Sherlock! So I had to pay triple. I get anything shipped from Germany, Italy, France at a fraction of the cost from anywhere in the UK).
Education is important, but flying RC planes and gliders is importanter!

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2017, 09:02:52 AM »
Hey Fred, don't be disappointed in me :'(, we could have a
 menage a trois! :D What do you say?

Fred

• Slope Soaring is not a crime!
  • Administrator
  • Gliderist Simplex
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gliderireland.net
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2017, 10:08:01 AM »
But I want you all for myself  :'(
Education is important, but flying RC planes and gliders is importanter!

goreyflyer

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2017, 19:31:39 PM »
AAwww Keith, are you seeing someone else! :(

Anyway, that sound fishy to me! And 100? is quiet a mistake as well. Would be curious what is the amount on the bill in the box.
If it says 344?, well, that's it. You paid what is on the bill, end of story.

You can send it back also, he must pay for it (European law if you return it within 7 days), but you will need to ask the money upfront, as he might refund it without the shipping cost, and you end up at loss!
Tricky one I have to say. I would get the package, check the bill, and take it from here.

On a side note, I have to say, and unfortunately, I very very rarely order anything from the UK. Last time I did, they tried to get me on shipping (International shipping... For Ireland, when an European shipping was available... Excuse was Ireland was an Island... No sh#t Sherlock! So I had to pay triple. I get anything shipped from Germany, Italy, France at a fraction of the cost from anywhere in the UK).

Hi Fred

Yes £100 sterling is a lot of money and a bizarre mistake to make especially after me twice asking the price and then the final response as per my earlier post "£221 sterling plus £70 sterling"

He had enough opportunity to realise the mistake.
He said it would be one kit coming direct from Europe so if by chance I was the only person on that day asking for something from that supplier surely when he ordered and started processing the payment the mistake would have been realised surely not 3 days later when the item was shipped already.

He also hasn't contacted me since. I don't think I will be calling him to remedy his mistake.
Using customers to pay for your own mistake in business doesn't seem right!

As for Keith he does like to put it about a bit!!

Rob

goreyflyer

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2017, 20:30:11 PM »
Just got this as a reply!

Got my name wrong and said on Friday it was on its way!! 

"Pc21
James I sent an email but I am not sure whether it got through as I have not received a reply. My supplier has the kit delivery on hold for now waiting on a response from you.
I must apologise for my mistake I simply hit the 2 instead of a 3 with my quote which I explained on the phone. If you wish to cancel the order can you forward the original card details I will refund in full the price charged if you wish to proceed with the order can you forward the balance payment when possible"

No email received think I may take my business elsewhere! 

Regards Rob

angry_muppet

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2017, 07:05:55 AM »
I took this from an article in the Telegraph...

The legally binding contract is complete when a retailer accepts an order. However, acceptance does not necessarily happen at the point of order. Even the confirmation email may not be an acceptance. Some retailers reserve the right to cancel an order up to the point of delivery. It is therefore important to carefully check the retailer’s terms and conditions (which must be available on their website) and emails – if a retailer simply acknowledges an order, there may be no contract at that point.

If you've paid, then check out the T&Cs, you might be entitled to it at the cost charged.

goreyflyer

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2017, 08:46:50 AM »
Well refund recieved.

Now ordered from www.modelhobby.de instead.

Definitely wouldn't be recommending the uk bassed retailer.

Rob