Author Topic: Taranis QX7  (Read 6727 times)

Fred

• Slope Soaring is not a crime!
  • Administrator
  • Gliderist Simplex
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gliderireland.net
Taranis QX7
« on: May 31, 2017, 16:58:14 PM »
God, that did not happened to me in a long long time!
Bought a new radio!  ::)

After my last holidays, I was looking for a small radio that will fit in a backpack, as these tray radio are great, but they are the size of a glider! Oh, and I wanted it cheap also, because it was going to spend most of its life in a boot of a car, or in a bag. Being half moved to FRSky, my choice went naturally to their latest radio, the QX7.
And well, I have to say, it is a brilliant piece of kit for the price! Was not expecting much I have to say, but the quality, is there! And for less than 100 euros!

OpenTX (v2.2) took a bit of reading, but now, I get the logic, and it is actually not bad at all. Endless possibilities. 2 weeks now playing with it, and that radio might equip my smallish gliders... For now!

Screen is nice and clear. I installed a voice pack as well, and it's pretty nice. Oh, I have all Pink Floyd on the radio to play at the slope (yep, I'll annoy you with that!).
I just need to figure out how to get the Alti/Vario to beep instead of talking, and I will be 100% sorted :)

Anyway, just impressed by the cost/quality of this radio, that's all :) So I had to share :)

Education is important, but flying RC planes and gliders is importanter!

goreyflyer

• View Profile
Re: Taranis QX7
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2017, 22:58:26 PM »
Hi Fred
Open Tx is definitely different but as you say when you get your head around it it is incredible what can be done.
The QX7 really is incredible value for money. I still want to hold a Horus in my hands before I take the plunge However the Taranis is very good.

Rob

Fred

• Administrator
  • Gliderist Simplex
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2017, 16:12:13 PM »
Hi Rob,

I agree, the QX7 is incredible for the money. Looking forward to test it in the air now.
As for OpenTX, coming from a 3030/3010/4000, the programing is relatively the same in fact, but I had to admit, I had to watch a few videos for the logical switches etc :)

The only limit, is your imagination basically!

Never saw the Horus I have to say, so I am talking shite here, but, thinking of it, not sure about the main advantages compared with the QX7? Color screens, and Hall effect sticks might not justify the 300 euros more, but it sure looks like a nice piece of kit! :)

johnfireball

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2017, 23:40:26 PM »
Hi Fred,
          Been thinking about a QX7 for myself. The uncertainty I have is the choice of receivers as there are some cheepo ones made for quad racing etc. with I believe limited range and some more expensive ones. What receiver are you using and maybe report back on range etc.

John.
I have the body of an 18 year old.........I keep it in the freezer

goreyflyer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2017, 17:15:39 PM »
Hi Fred,
          Been thinking about a QX7 for myself. The uncertainty I have is the choice of receivers as there are some cheepo ones made for quad racing etc. with I believe limited range and some more expensive ones. What receiver are you using and maybe report back on range etc.

John.

I have been using FrSky Taranis plus for over 2 years now. No "range" issues
I'm using the XR range and are very good In EU LBT

Fred

• Administrator
  • Gliderist Simplex
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2017, 19:32:31 PM »
Hey John,

Same here, using FRSky since they exist (was testing their stuff at some stage), and never had a range issue or a glitch!
If little Keith remember, we did a test once, using a D series receiver in my EasyGlider (to be safe :) ), it was raining, we went as far as we could see that thing while Keith was standing in front the aerial and even holding it. No issues what so ever! :)

Like Rob, using the X series on my MC3030 with a XJT module and no range issues on the EU LBT, and the EU "normal" (moving everything to EU LBT now)

As for the QX7, only tested in Range test mode, and so far, goes further than my 3030 with the XJT, so it's looking good (might be the antenna).