Author Topic: New member  (Read 4212 times)

seb603

• View Profile
« on: October 25, 2017, 16:26:05 PM »
Hi everyone!

I am new on the forum, thought I could introduce myself here.
Sebastien, 26 years old, from Belgium ("French" part). I moved to Ireland a few weeks ago for professional reasons.
We live a few km North of Dublin.

I used to fly nitro rc aircrafts in a Belgian club, and I think I am going to miss that a lot. Problem solved: let's buy an aircraft and fly here! :)
Ireland seems to be the perfect place for slope soaring...  8) I plan to buy a 2.0m wingspan glider in the coming weeks.

Just a few questions:
- Do you fly during the winter?
- Do I have to register the model (and myself?) at the IAA
- Where and when do you fly?  ::) I saw you had a spot in the mountains South of Dublin.

Thank you!

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
Re: New member
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2017, 19:49:54 PM »
Hi Seb :),
Welcome to the Emerald Isle., so called because it's very green. (It's the rain that keeps everything so green.)

To answer your questions

1/ Yes we fly during the winter, but not during the rain. (Did I mention that it rains here? :()
2/ If your model is over 1Kg it has to be registered with the IAA and (to be legal) you will also need to have insurance. :-\
3/ There are various locations around Dublin to fly slope soarers, the best person to advise you might be our member called friendly Fred.
He's a Frenchman, (well,...nobody's perfect!) so we don't hold that against him. Fred lives in Dublin and will no doubt reply to your post when he sees it.

I live in Wexford and fly at a place called Mt. Lienster, commonly known as "Big L". Hope to see you down this way some time. :D

Good Luck Seb,
Little Keith
Try not to run out of airspeed, altitude and ideas....... all at the same time.

seb603

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2017, 10:10:15 AM »
Hi!

Thank you for your answer!  ::)
Sure I'll come and fly at Mt Lienster someday!

Fred

• Slope Soaring is not a crime!
  • Administrator
  • Gliderist Simplex
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gliderireland.net
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2017, 16:30:07 PM »
Ok, ok, I am catching up, and finally back in the forum (I missed you guys  :-* )

Welcome to the forum Seb!! (bienvenue quoi :) )

So, to answer your questions. Do we fly during winter? IT'S ALWAYS WINTER!  :'( ::) But yes, we do, they are usually nice days.. Cold, but nice!

As Keith said, you need to register everything over 800Grs with the IAA. You also need to be a member of the MACI (for insurance).

For a club, you can visit maci.ie for a list of them (there are a few power clubs in Dublin, that depend of your location) and for gliders, well, there is only one, us. We drink and have fun, but overall, we are a nice bunch of misfits! :) Contact me if you want to join. We also provide MACI insurance.

We do fly in Dublin, namely Kilakee. Do you have mean of transport? I can show you the slope(s) etc. I live in Dublin South, but work nearish the quays. And defo, come and join us at any time, regardless of what you are flying! :)
Education is important, but flying RC planes and gliders is importanter!