« Reply #167 on: April 14, 2015, 21:50:04 PM »
Pff j aurai du l emmener en irlande :wink:
si t as pas d amis, prends un curly

the Pope

• View Profile
COMET
« Reply #168 on: September 21, 2015, 18:31:44 PM »
Heuuuu, gros crash du COMET ce we à Falaise...... :roll:  
Il est déjà sur la table d opération. ......il devrait être réparé dans 2 ou 3 mois,,,,
melon et melèche............

Jonzjob

• View Profile
    • John's World of wood
Re: COMET
« Reply #169 on: April 11, 2018, 23:07:18 PM »
M. Pope I have just found and read your thread here. That is an impressive model. I believe that it is a Comet 2. The Royal Air Force used to have 6 of them back in the late 50s early 60s and I was lucky enough to work on them at R.A.F. Lyneham for 5 years. Those along with the Comet 4C and Bristol Britannia. The 2s were so very simple to work on and so safe, comfortable and reliable to fly in.

I still have the scar on my right shin, called Comet leg! It was caused by me stepping into the hole that should have been the hatch to the forward equipment bay. The hatch was just inside and to the left of the crew entry on the front starboard side of the aircraft. It was in the baggage area between the cockpit and the passenger area. It was dark with few windows and one day 2 of us boarded via the crew door. My mate was talking to me and turned to say something. I was not there because I had stepped into the hole! I found it so funny that I had done such a stupid thing that I couldn't get back out for laughing!!! ;D ;D

Did you know that they carried 37 passengers? BOAC had a big say in their design and that is the pax load they wanted. Why???? Because the buses they used to transport the passengers out the the aircraft carried 37 people!

You have done a beautiful piece of work to produce such an aircraft and I hope that is back in the air and still flying.
John.

Now I know what it's all for it's either worn out or fallen off!
https://johnamandiers.wixsite.com/johns-w-o-w-1

Fred

• Slope Soaring is not a crime!
  • Administrator
  • Gliderist Simplex
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gliderireland.net
« Reply #170 on: April 21, 2018, 17:50:16 PM »
Hey John,

I don’t know if Benoit “the pope” saw your reply, but yes, she flew again! :)

And he has now moved to 2.4giggles hertz to avoid another mishap!

She is flying beautifully, a great, and rare sight in the air.  :-* :-*
Education is important, but flying RC planes and gliders is importanter!

Jonzjob

• View Profile
    • John's World of wood
« Reply #171 on: April 21, 2018, 21:20:46 PM »
Thank you Fred, that's really good to hear!  I would love to see some video of it if there is any?

They were beautiful, graceful aircraft. Their hydraulic oil for the systems was a vegetable oil. The Britannias were a synthetic oil. One day a rigger (airframe bloke) went out to one of our aircraft and topped it up with OX38  oil because the level was down. OX38 and wrote the aircraft off! It's a synthetic oil for the Brit and it would have meant changing every hydraulic oil seal on the aircraft!
John.

Now I know what it's all for it's either worn out or fallen off!
https://johnamandiers.wixsite.com/johns-w-o-w-1