Author Topic: DeAgostini Spitfire - 1:10 scale - Anyone have experience?  (Read 13429 times)

angry_muppet

• View Profile
DeAgostini Spitfire - 1:10 scale - Anyone have experience?
« on: August 11, 2018, 21:25:04 PM »
I've just been gifted a complete, unopened set of parts from this "subscription purchase" plane. I've done my preliminary research and found an abundance of horror stories...  :o

Thankfully there were one or two rays of sunshine who actually thought the kit was rather decent.  8)

Either way, I think I've found another project to add to the list for the long winter days... Having completed a quick check to ensure all parts were there, I've only found one part broken; a leading edge spar. Hopefully a little wood glue can cure it as it's a clean break.

angry_muppet

• View Profile
Re: DeAgostini Spitfire - 1:10 scale - Anyone have experience?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2018, 21:28:22 PM »
I should list the specs:

Wingspan: 4'8" (1.43m)
Length: 3'9" (1.15m)
Height: 1'2" (0.35m)

Designed for a 35MHz 4 channel tx and 6.47cc motor (offer was for a LEO @ €36.95)

rogallo

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2018, 08:30:47 AM »
Might make a nice pss model.

replace the spar/ leading edge, this is where you get strength from.

Enjoy

R

Spots or no Spots?
Tuff Choice.

Fred

• Slope Soaring is not a crime!
  • Administrator
  • Gliderist Simplex
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gliderireland.net
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2018, 14:09:52 PM »
Nice one!
I have no experience with it I have to say, other than what was said at the time about it on various forums.

All in all, not a bad flyer at all if you read what people say abouot it.

Are you going electric? Or use IC as per the original?

PS: Moved the topic to "Scale Plane"
Education is important, but flying RC planes and gliders is importanter!

angry_muppet

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2018, 12:28:52 PM »
I think I'll be going electric; much nicer not to have to cut holes in the cowling.

If I can get the balance correct with the battery on the CoG, then removing the prop and undercarriage would permit PSS as well.  That might be beyond my capabilities at present, but we'll see!  ;)

angry_muppet

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2018, 21:28:40 PM »
Just spent the last hour opening all the packets and making sure everything is still ok.

Was pleasantly surprised to find that one pack contained 2 leading edges along with a note to say that they were fragile.  :o  I can only assume that lots of complaints were received for the first having been broken in transit.

Abiding by the advice provided early in my building career of "read the instructions twice, then read them again", I now have the fun job of putting all the instructions, RC theory and Spitfire history into the appropriate section of the supplied folders.

Fred

• Slope Soaring is not a crime!
  • Administrator
  • Gliderist Simplex
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gliderireland.net
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2018, 19:54:38 PM »
Actally have a question while you mention the LE.

How do they give you the LE/TE and spars? Are they in differents pieces to fit the magazine?
Education is important, but flying RC planes and gliders is importanter!

angry_muppet

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2018, 08:46:19 AM »
Thankfully not, Fred!

Anything that fits in A4 size comes as a standard magazine style wrapper.  The spars and leading edges are full length for each wing half; the cardboard backing is extended to provide support and everything is slightly shrink-wrapped. The second set of both LEs came in a stiff cardboard tube like you'd get for posters.  They obviously learned from their mistake with the first.

The fuselage sides are "jigsaw" pieces which are then strengthened by balsa sheeting to give it the appropriate shape.

angry_muppet

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2018, 21:38:59 PM »
Well, I think it's about time I got this party started, having decided that "to make things easy", I'll go the route of a Turnigy G46 motor to replace the recommended .40 or .46 IC motor.  Obviously, it's easier to modify as I build, so the first consideration is a hatch to get at the battery as I really am lazy and don't want to have to remove the wing each time. I want to have 2 batteries; one to fly while one is on the charge, so not going to go the route of "charge in place".  Thing is, the space between formers isn't sufficient to ease a battery in. I think that the only option is to cut the top off one former (the one on the right between the jig brackets) to make a "U" former and strengthen the hatch opening with 3mm ply. To that end, I've cut the ply reinforcement first and made two "brackets" to form the front and rear of the hatch out of two layers of 1.6mm balsa laminated together at 90°. They won't be loadbearing, so I think they should be strong enough.

I haven't cut any formers yet, just in case anyone advises against the plan! I'll bow to superior knowledge and craftsmanship.

I've filled in the predrilled holes in the firewall as I intend to use a Great Planes adjustable motor mount to hold the G46 and the fitment is different.

angry_muppet

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2018, 17:03:41 PM »
Hatch formers are now dried and sanded to shape. It never ceases to amaze me how much stronger 2 laminates at 90° is than the equivalent not laminated. Little amuses the simple, I guess!   :-[

angry_muppet

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2018, 11:20:03 AM »
I finally got around to starting the modifications last night... Hopefully progress may be rather faster now that I've made a start.

I did a few calculations and figure I have approximately 60mm inside the cowl to play with to fit a battery through the present firewall. This should assist in maintaining the CoG without resorting to ballast. Having never scratch built a motor box, or battery box, this could get interesting. It'll all have to be hand cut.  :(

angry_muppet

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2018, 22:19:16 PM »
Making a little more progress...

Templates photocopied, ready to go once I clear a little more space to work!

angry_muppet

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2018, 19:54:00 PM »
Having started the build and got about halfway through assembling the frame of the fuse, I realised I'd made a clanger...  I placed the very first piece on the jig upside down. The result is now that there is left thrust angle in place of the correct right thrust angle.   :-[ I did try to abide by the "read twice and then read again before building"; unfortunately I've been the "better idiot" to break a fairly idiot proof method.

I pushed on regardless to finish off the fuselage and worry about fixing the angle later.  As I'm not going IC, the motor and battery will need to be shifted forward through the original firewall.  To do that, I'll construct a ply motor mount and affix into the existing firewall and correct the error that way.

I've cut the intended shapes from 3mm liteply; while perhaps not strong enough, it'll allow me to easily join to the fuse temporarily to test the fit of the cowl and motor.  Unless liteply will suffice?  Something tells me not to!