Author Topic: Cork Model Aero Club Aerotow/Electric flyin 12,13,14th July  (Read 8394 times)

rogallo

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
Hi Everyone,
    it is that time of the year again. We are hosting our annual Giider towing event. Plenty of flying promised with the choice of flat field or slope depending on the conditions. We aim to tow the Friday Sat and Sunday. If you are coming for the Friday please give us a heads up at 0878322791. Toilets are available on the flat field site in Brinny.

We have towing capabilities for models from 2M up to 6M but if you have something, else we will try and sort you out.

Looking forward to seeing you there

Rogallo
Spots or no Spots?
Tuff Choice.

rogallo

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
Re: Cork Model Aero Club Aerotow/Electric flyin 12,13,14th July
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2019, 08:13:03 AM »
Anybody traveling, we need to arrange burgers for the meeting. Thanks
Spots or no Spots?
Tuff Choice.

Alan_Perse

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2019, 16:26:36 PM »
I’ll be there  :)

mario

• phpBB moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2019, 10:36:41 AM »
Good flight  8)
si t as pas d amis, prends un curly

rogallo

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2019, 12:15:10 PM »
CMAC Glide-in 2019   

The annual glide-in now in its 14th year was held on the weekend of 12th, 13th and 14th of July and what a weekend it was. We started on the Friday afternoon with some bungee launched gliders, with some very hi-tec kit and some not so hi-tec on display.
Pilots briefing gave a quick summary of the operation of the event to all the pilots in order to achieve a safe and trouble free event.
With the wind coming from the north it limited us to using the electric tow plane on the short runway. By the time the BBQ was fired up we had around 10 pilots in attendance with people traveling from Dublin, Armagh and Kildare.
Frederic Marie put on a super display with his Ava glider from Vladimir in Russia. A lightweight but exceptionally strong bungee launched glider. Also available was the ISR training model a MPX Easy glider converted for towing to allow all the pilots a chance to cut their teeth aerotowing. The Island Slope Rebels must be commended for providing the equipment and people to encourage our members to try a new discipline.

The towplanes for the event consisted of a 80cc Piper Super Cub and a purpose built towplane called a Bidule with a 55cc petrol engine up front. Also available was the Multiples FunCub XL with a 6 cell power pack capable of towing models up to 3M wingspan.
After a few burgers we all got back to flying for the evening with the last flight finishing about 9.40pm

Saturday started with a fry-up and a cuppa tea to get some energy to get going. Unfortunately the wind was still Northerly and gusting 20kph which meant it was more of the same for the morning. By 12 the carpark was overflowing and about 15 flyers in total.
Adam Kelleher, a junior, from the Bandon MFC showed everyone how to use a bungee with his super Echo Fox a vintage design from France. After lunch the wind died down a bit and the petrol towplanes were put into action. The Bidule was first up with Fred Maries ASW15, an easy tow with such experienced pilots.

Next up was John Pearson with his ASW 15. Conditions for these flights revealed little or no lift but the flying continued. Mr John Beasley gave an excellent demonstration of his 3M FMS Fox, launched from a dolly sporting a 6S pack powering the electric motor onboard. Next up was Kevin Barry with a Chris Williams 5M Slingsby Petrel. A little snag on release caused some mionor damage to the tug but soon Mr Barry was "Happy" as he found some weak thermals to the west of the site. Richard O'Brien stepped in, while repairs to the Bidule were carried out, with his Piper Super Cub and towed without a hitch for the next few hours.

There was no stoppage for the afternoon for food although plenty was served up by Mr M Perse manning the BBQ providing those perfectly cooked burgers for all attending.

As the day went on the thermals improved as did the flying. Again we continued until 8.30 pm that evening.

Our final day started with some now tired looking pilots but still eager to fly. Again Fred and John put their models through their paces. A new model appeared this morning however. A scratchbuilt K8 by Mr Alan Perse. His first time on a petrol towplane, with both Pilot and model proving very capable with the task in hand. The tow went off perfectly with Mr Perse having a +10min flight after release. Again the day continues until about 3.30pm with lots of food and flying.

I would like to thank all the people who attended the event, as without them there would be no event. I would like to thank the CMAC for providing funding and a site for the running of the event. I would like to thank Mr Richard O' Brien who kept the towing going over three days. I would also like to thank all that helped out Mr and Mrs Perse, Roisin, Bredan and Jodie and anyone I may have forgotten, Many thanks.
Spots or no Spots?
Tuff Choice.

rogallo

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2019, 10:29:16 AM »
Please see the report with pics in Flightlines

https://indd.adobe.com/view/bc1f2081-4a72-4dbb-968e-f110c10cbd02

Enjoy

Ralph
Spots or no Spots?
Tuff Choice.

billscottni

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nimsa.co.uk ; www.billscott.org.uk
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2019, 17:50:16 PM »
Cracking pics Ralph, made me even more upset to have missed it  :( :( >:( >:(

Fred

• Slope Soaring is not a crime!
  • Administrator
  • Gliderist Simplex
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gliderireland.net
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2019, 19:21:07 PM »
A fantastic weekend! Thanks Ralph for organizing it, the tows and of course to Richard with the workhorse piper cub, without forgetting the club, and MR Pearse for manning the bbq!!

Tons of flying, that was bungee or tow or electric ones. Longest flight recorded on my radio was 42 minutes!! Conditions were on and off, but it was mainly very difficult to see the glider with that too blue of a sky! (nice complaint!! :) ) highlight for me was the first flight of the 4.2m Fox. A real pussycat! And of course, getting to know more the Ava.

Attached are a few photos from my phone as I forgot my camera like an idiot!

Can’t wait for next year already!
Education is important, but flying RC planes and gliders is importanter!

Fred

• Administrator
  • Gliderist Simplex
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2019, 19:25:05 PM »
More? More!

Fred

• Administrator
  • Gliderist Simplex
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2019, 19:29:06 PM »
Last batch

mario

• phpBB moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2019, 19:49:37 PM »
Wahou
si t as pas d amis, prends un curly