Author Topic: Island models 1/3 scale Grunau Baby 2 build  (Read 6872 times)

pbarrysmith@hotmail.com

• View Profile
Island models 1/3 scale Grunau Baby 2 build
« on: September 13, 2019, 08:58:27 AM »
Hi all,
Been aeromodelling pretty much all my life but let it slip thanks to Celtic tiger fallout. Always was in go all forms of fixed wing aircraft. Anyway, have decided to try go get started again, and decided to ease myself back into the hobby with a nice easy project, namely Island models 1/3 scale Granua Baby 2  ???.Now I have the short kit, I am starting to look for all the other bits and pieces. Does anyone have a materials/ wood list having built one and any suggestions where to go for balsa/wood supplies.
Quite a daunting prospect as a first build for over 10 years absense, but hell  here goes sanity. :-X
Barry

rogallo

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
Re: Island models 1/3 scale Granua Baby 2 build
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2019, 10:05:21 AM »
Hi Barry,
  welcome to the forum. have a look at http://www.gliderireland.net/forum/index.php/topic,3888.0.html in google chrome and it will translate it all into english. Loads of pics. We are meeting in Bunclody Co. Wexford on the 28/29 Sept if you want tom come along and fly?

Ralph
Spots or no Spots?
Tuff Choice.

pbarrysmith@hotmail.com

• View Profile
Re: Island models 1/3 scale Grunau Baby 2 build
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2019, 16:46:30 PM »
Hi Anyone who might be looking. Well I have started the build of the Granau and intend to keep a photo log and post progress at some stage. I must say I had forgotten the pleasure and satisfaction to be had from real building of models like this. Hope I can keep up the enthusiasm. Spent ages pawing over the plan and components and it is very nicely produced, thanks Fred.
I bought a fortune worth of clamps, a proxxon fet table saw (nice) and some various hardwood lenghts to cut to size.
Can anyone point me in the right direction as to where to buy .6mm ply for sheeting the structure. Anything I have seen seems to be only smaller sizes or/and costs a small fortune. Any help would be appreciated.
Watch this space.

Barry
Barry

Fred

• Slope Soaring is not a crime!
  • Administrator
  • Gliderist Simplex
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gliderireland.net
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2019, 08:23:51 AM »
Hi Barry,

First thing first! My sincere apologies for the loooonnnggg silence! (work, life, kids, me :) )

Glad you started the build, and really looking forward to the first photos!! On a side note, I am looking at a Proxxon table saw. Is it the scrollsaw? or the circular saw you have?

For the wood, it does cost a small fortune alright, especially in this size of plywood! I buy mine online in Germany: https://www.balsabar-shop.de/59-birken-flugzeugsperrholz?p=2

I would go 0.8mm for the fuselage, and 0.6 for the wing. Now, saying that, that really depend of the finish you want to achieve. If you are going to paint it, use balsa/covering. 2mm balsa will do just as nice.
For varnished wood (my favourite I have to say!0 you also have an alternative. Do the entire sheeting in balsa, then, cover the balsa with Samba sheets. Much much cheaper, and after a nice sanding, will give you that grain effect.
I did almost this on my Ka1, but smaller model, so I used 0.4mm plywood, but I covered it in 1mm balsa first:

Now, Joe did his Grunau all in Balsa, varnished, and I have to say, the finish is fantastic! But he is much better at it than me!

Hope this helps!
Education is important, but flying RC planes and gliders is importanter!

rogallo

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2019, 14:44:43 PM »
Fred,

if you buy the proxxon saw, buy the more expensive one. I has more torque and a bettor motor and drive system.

Good luck with the build Barry

Rogallo
Spots or no Spots?
Tuff Choice.

pbarrysmith@hotmail.com

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2019, 12:12:11 PM »
Hi Fred,
No need for apologies, life tends to get in the way of the more important things like building models!
Thanks for the reply and the link, I will check it out. I have loads of time to decide so am looking into the different options/techniques etc.
I am really enjoying the build, it is a lovely kit and the quality truly superb. I am taking my time as this is the largest model I have ever attempted and it must be 20 years since I have built a open frame totally built up model. rediscovering the magic.
I bought the FET table saw (the larger one) it is great at cutting the longerons as long as you set it up level with a worktop to support the wood as you cut. I experimented with first cutting over size and gradually re cut the same piece using the micrometer adjustment to shave down to size until I was happy with the fit. Very satisfying!
Lindinger have a €20 off offer at the moment if you spend over €180 so could be a good time.
Here is a photo of the saw in use, does a nice clean cut with the standard blade, but I di buy a 80 tooth fine cut blade as well. No tried it yet.
Barry

pbarrysmith@hotmail.com

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2019, 12:15:02 PM »
Thanks Ralph. I will post some photos soon.

Barry
Barry

pbarrysmith@hotmail.com

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2019, 17:14:24 PM »
Hi Fred, Going to try to upload a video of me using the saw to cut some 5 mm sq pine 2.4 mtrs long,
Barry

pbarrysmith@hotmail.com

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2019, 17:18:32 PM »
By the way, the mask I am wearing is a 3M model 4251. It is brilliant if you wear glasses being a full face mask you do not get any steaming up of the Specs.

Barry
Barry

Fred

• Slope Soaring is not a crime!
  • Administrator
  • Gliderist Simplex
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gliderireland.net
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2019, 09:14:47 AM »
HHmmm, I like your Proxxon! I was also looking at the table bandsaw, but not sure what are the advantages of one to another!
Maybe straighter cuts with the circular?
Education is important, but flying RC planes and gliders is importanter!

pbarrysmith@hotmail.com

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2019, 11:10:35 AM »
Fred, It seems the table saw is generally more versatile, especially for long straight cuts and good square cross cuts. Bans saw is more usefull for anything that involves curves. The best advice I have read up on always says to get a good table saw first, then other types depending on your needs.
As one guy put it "the table saw is to the woodworker what the fishing rod is to the angler"
 :)
finding mine very useful. I suppose I could have bought the strip wood, but then I like the hands on experience of making my own.
Plus it is very handy for very fine cuts to make them fit properly.
Hope that helps
I probably need to invest in a dust extractor too  :-X, any experience on these Fred or anyone else?

All the best.
PS looking forward to meeting you Fred, so I can say I have met the legend  8)
Barry

rogallo

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2019, 11:42:18 AM »
Hi Barry,

re the dust I have an old dyson type vacuum connected to mine. Still need to clean the inside out after every use. I ordered the thicknesser/planer last week and looking forward to the new "Stripper" in the workshop.

Fred, the table saw is worth its weight in gold, I use it for everything, just make sure to but the more expensive model, it will last a lifetime.

Ralph
Spots or no Spots?
Tuff Choice.

pbarrysmith@hotmail.com

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2019, 14:45:52 PM »
Hi Ralph, yes Im the same, an old vacuum cleaner for the mo. Hope your missus doesn't object to stripper, might explain why your in the shed all the time >:D
I would like to see that as I was intrigued by it, but not to the tune of around €500. Might take a trip over to look at it.
Fred Ralph is right , go for the FET saw, it is well built with nice features. and surprisingly quiet , until you start to cut of course ::)
Barry