Author Topic: Old Alpina 4001  (Read 3644 times)

Steveair2

• View Profile
Old Alpina 4001
« on: May 03, 2020, 17:57:28 PM »
Hi Guys
I am building/finishing an old Alpina 4001 and need a bit of help on installing the wing mounting bracket in the fuzz.Any one on here done it before? This is the blade type with the brass box in the fuzz.The instructions i have limited on the install. EG i presume they Extend into the side of the fuzz.
Any help appreciated
Cheers
Steve

Flamingo Flier

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
Re: Old Alpina 4001
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2020, 19:59:22 PM »
Hi Steve,
No experience of the old Alpina but I had a Flamingo Contest from the same era and the wing joining system may be similar.
The english language instructions for the Flamingo has no diagrams - they are in the German version only. This was in the days before cut and paste!

Jim

Flamingo Flier

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2020, 20:02:52 PM »
Sorry Steve,
Only 1 attachment 'stuck'

Jim

Steveair2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2020, 00:08:54 AM »
That's Perfect, Thanks a Million. I Have a Flamingo Myself but it has the Bar wing mount.
I put it together yesterday and I have tack glued the wing box in.Did you put a dowel across the fuzz at the rear and the front in case the wings move on landing? There is a cable operating the air brakes at the moment.I was looking at putting a servo in each wing to operate these otherwise I will have to mount one in the roof of the fuzz.This would be awkward assembly at the slope.I did it on the Flamingo wing but had a page from Multiplex with the measurements.
Thanks again for taking the Trouble.
Cheers Steve.

Flamingo Flier

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2020, 09:53:52 AM »
That's good Steve,
Yes I did put the spacers between the trailing edges and leading edges of the wings - I think these are important as the flat bar wing joiner allows the wings to swing back and forth if the fuselage stops in a hurry or if you touch a wing tip on landing. I had fuselage mounted servos for the ailerons and the airbrakes so I made the front dowel removable. Just a snug fit and double sided carpet tape on each end and it never moved - i renewed the tape every few years. As you say the front was a dowel but the rear one was, if memory serves a piece of 3mm ply about 15mm wide and was epoxied in. I stuck it to a length of balsa strip to fish it into place and taped the long balsa strip to the fuselage to hold it in place while the epoxy set - then I just snapped it off.
By the way I mounted the servos for the ailerons and airbrakes on a removable plate and I was glad I did. I replaced about 3 or 4 aileron servos over the 20 years I had the model  -  the gears were stripped by the wing swinging mentioned earlier.

JIM

Steveair2

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2020, 22:16:13 PM »
Thanks Jim
 For the great response, your a great help to getting this model finished, I appreciate your time. Interesting thought on a removable plate For the servos. I have the aileron servos mounted in the wings but i am still trying to figure out where to mount the servo for the brakes.there are cables in the wing coming out at the root which then go through into the Fuzz. Can you tell me please where/how you mounted the plate.Still investigating if I could cut into the wing about 2 or 3 inches along the cable just past the root rib and fit a servo for each Brake, still hav'nt got the courage.
Any thoughts ?
Cheers Steve
PS did you fly in Kilakee ?

Steveair2

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2020, 20:25:11 PM »
Hi jim
I bit the Bullet and went for surgery on the wing. I eventually found the cable and have dug a hole to fit a servo. Will do the other one tomorrow.The bad new is the cable is in a different position.

Flamingo Flier

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2020, 09:32:01 AM »
Hello again Steve,
Sorry I wasn't quick enough with the reply - I don't open the Forum every day  or even every week......

The flamingo has a ply servo tray for the rudder & elevator servos, switch and the like epoxied into the fuselage. It was necessary for the Aileron and airbrake servos to be higher in any case so I could use a stiffer 6mm ply plate for these. This could be wriggled into place with the servos attached and screwed down onto the fixed lower plate

Yes I have for many years flown at Kilakee - and will again soon.......
Jim

Steveair2

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2020, 18:23:07 PM »
Thanks Again jim for you help.
I think we have met up there before on a few occasions many years ago. I recall on day going up to killmashogue and walking a distance to get a sea breeze. I think it was a farmer you knew gave permission. Well holes cut for the servos thanks for all the help.
 Cheers
Steve