Author Topic: Build attempt / learning process  (Read 13255 times)

AndyB

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
Re: Build Log
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2021, 09:33:45 AM »
Those videos are great, thanks.

I finally got my spars from the slow boat and have the right wing sheeted and left one nearly complete, pics coming soon.

I am struggling to get my hands on mylar sheets, can anyone point me to a supplier or an alternative to mylar?

Fred

• Slope Soaring is not a crime!
  • Administrator
  • Gliderist Simplex
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gliderireland.net
Re: Build Log
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2021, 16:59:44 PM »
Hi Andy,

Lindinger have some (from R&G) about 10€ a sqm.
If you need smaller sheets, Amazon and all that. I only know shops in France really but depending of the usage, PVC sheets will do the same.
Education is important, but flying RC planes and gliders is importanter!

AndyB

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
Re: Build attempt / learning process
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2021, 12:32:20 PM »
I was planning to use it for covering the wings in light glass and get a smooth finish. But in the interests of seeing if my wing design will hold up, I think I will plough ahead with covering it with some easycoat I have spare (horrible green that cheap and was never used).

AndyB

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2021, 17:45:26 PM »
While I'm immobile recovering from hip surgery I finally have some time for some "progress" updates. Again this is all a learning process for me and I know I am probably doing stuff wrong with wrong materials in the wrong order, but I feel it's the best way for me to learn, and I'm having fun doing it anyway.

I guess I'll start with the wings, there are 4 sections with one main spar that tapers from 12mm to a 10mm and then a small spar or 8mm to stop rotation. I used a small Dremel CNC to cut the ribs and root out and the 4axix hotwire for the core.

The ribs, spars and foam core were glued together first and then finally assemble, I added some carbon tow, because why not, and peelply at 45° for the hinge. Then all covered by balsa sheet and vac bagged.

Happy with the results, but I doubt these will be the final wings, but I should be able to fly with them.

AndyB

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2021, 13:03:22 PM »
Next was to trust my measurement and cut out the flap to the peelply, space for servo and run the servo wires to the root.

rogallo

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2021, 16:30:00 PM »
Hi Andy,
   keep up the good work. Just a few questions, where did you get the carbon wing joiners and the vacuum bag and connector, I have a set of wings to bag here sometime if I can track down the parts.
Cheers

Ralph
Spots or no Spots?
Tuff Choice.

AndyB

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2021, 16:41:13 PM »
Hi Ralph,

The spars are actually fibreglass tubes from Ali express  :-X. I did want to use carbon but decided on the cheaper alternative for the first set of wings as I would be learning and wouldn't feel bad if I screwed it up and had to throw them away.

The vac bag connector is from easy composites; https://www.easycomposites.co.uk/tbc2-through-bag-connector, I did a bit of a bulk order so saved on postage. I also got the air hose coupler from the local motor factor.

AndyB

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2021, 16:53:26 PM »
I made sure the wings were correctly aligned with a laser and holes were bored through the fuselage. I made exact copies of the wing root ribs for where the wings join the fuselage and made a fillet with epoxy and silica, was actually really worried about this part but saw a good video from Reed on this process and it turned out quite neat.

Kevin O'Donoghue

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2021, 21:34:41 PM »
That's an absolutely super build so far. Well done! Can't wit to see the finished product. No pressure!!!!!!!!

AndyB

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2021, 10:39:36 AM »
Thanks Kevin, I'm really happy with the progress so far and excited that it might actually be able to fly.

AndyB

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2021, 09:20:16 AM »
I got some primer on the fuselage and the good/bad thing is it reveals all the low and high spots, so plenty of filling and sanding still to go. It's coming together now. I still need to figure out how to attach the horizontal stabaliser, at the moment I have a sleeve that it fits into. I am thinking of either just bonding it in or creating a hole or two on the ventral side of the fuselage to allow access for a retaining screw/s.

Kevin O'Donoghue

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2021, 19:20:16 PM »
Looks really good. You'll have to go into mass production!

AndyB

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2021, 12:45:36 PM »
That primer just revealed how uneven the glass shell alone was, I had to acetone it all off and got some west 407 on followed by lots of sanding. I had red and black spray cans from when I added some colour to my weasel, these went on well.

I did the electronics and fixed the mpx wing connectors into place, so now the wings slot on nicely and the servos are connected. I made a pretty rough pushrod with balsa, piano wire, thread and glue, works great. I got it all programmed and even added braking and elevator mix.

Next is to cover the wings and horizontal stabilizer. Last is to bond in the horizontal stabilizer, I wanted to make this removable, maybe in my next build attempt or when I make a new horizontal stabilizer.

rogallo

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2021, 09:49:59 AM »
Andy,
  looking good. I would put the battery in front of the regulator as the kinetic energy will ensure the battery hits the reg and causes a big fire, or not!

Just saying

R
Spots or no Spots?
Tuff Choice.

AndyB

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2021, 10:34:51 AM »
 ;D preparing for a crash already. I really hope I can keep this intact for at least a couple of flights.