Author Topic: ASW 20  (Read 71020 times)

Rasmussen

• View Profile
ASW 19
« Reply #45 on: September 02, 2014, 21:18:46 PM »
Hi Peter.

Thank you for your info.

Yes we are both building Mike Trew`s ASW 19 but mine will have an electric motor in the nose "instead of lead". No flaps or wheel. I am flying from flat fields and often alone.
I am working on both fuslage halfs and have not yet started on wings.

Cheers Joern

:D

alibodin

• View Profile
ASW 20
« Reply #46 on: September 02, 2014, 22:18:07 PM »
Mine is the 20, flaps no wheel, started on a wing.

Traplet kit is pretty good, one part is wrong which is wrong on the plan. One has to cut ones own dihedral wedges, apart from that all fiddly bits are done. All ribs formers, tailplane ribs and rudder ribs all done.

Alistair

orionis

• View Profile
    • http://orionis1.free.fr
ASW 20
« Reply #47 on: September 03, 2014, 05:59:01 AM »
Feel free to post pictures of your own building, as this glider is the next of my to-do list!

alibodin

• View Profile
ASW 20
« Reply #48 on: September 13, 2014, 22:46:19 PM »
It has taken a while and my first ever planked half fuz is done.

No where near perfect, however it is straight and it looks right.

Next challenge is add the other half to the first half and then make it all smooth.

I have a plan to make it smooth adding 1/32 inch sheeting over the current planking  as it can be added in long wide strips.

Alistair

brian245

• View Profile
ASW 20
« Reply #49 on: July 10, 2015, 09:06:57 AM »
I have just received my plan for this and looking over it, the main spar seems a bit fragile compared to my prievous builds.
Have other builders built 'as per plan'and found it satisfactory?
Any comments appreciated.
One other question, what method of wing retention have you used?

alibodin

• View Profile
ASW 20
« Reply #50 on: July 11, 2015, 20:44:27 PM »
Hi Brian,

I am still building my ASW20. The wing structure looks fine to me. Mike Trew is a competent designer. Peter and Joern on here have both built and flown the model and not heard of any mishaps.

For wing retention I plan to use white electrical tap wrapped round the root of the wing and the fairing of the fuz. Used it on scale models in the past and it is very reliable.

Alistair

brian245

• View Profile
ASW 20
« Reply #51 on: July 11, 2015, 21:21:30 PM »
Hi Alistair,
Thank you for your comments, tape was one idea I had considered and is probably the most simple

alibodin

• View Profile
ASW 20
« Reply #52 on: August 31, 2015, 21:27:03 PM »
Well after nearly a year I finished my ASW 20, thanks to Joern for the encouragement.

Now on with the Pilatus B4,

Alistair

Andrew101

• View Profile
Re: ASW 20
« Reply #53 on: April 26, 2020, 08:26:17 AM »
Hello All,

Anyone still available to talk about the ASW 19/20?

I've picked up a laser cut kit but tbh don't have a clue what I'm doing!

Many thanks Andrew.

Peter

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 26, 2020, 20:46:07 PM »
Yes -  still here Andrew!

Peter

Andrew101

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 27, 2020, 08:28:35 AM »
Ah hello Peter,

Great job on your build, how are you and the glider getting on ?

I'm just waiting on plans to have a good look at, then will be ordering  the relevant supplies. Main issue for myself is that this will be my 1st kit and 1st plane! I have a fair amount of experience with helicopters, but zero fixed wing.

I'd also like to go with a powered version.

Any help welcome 😊

Order of steps for powered glider?
Supplies/tools needed?
Suggestions for electronics and Spektrum RX ?

Thank you.

Peter

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 27, 2020, 22:36:01 PM »
I would say this may not be the best place to start for a first build as it is a rather complex project and it might be easy to get disheartened.  Probably a good idea to cut your teeth on a simpler project and get some traditional building (and fixed wing flying) experience before getting stuck into this one.  I had built about 10 gliders (including some from plans only) before tackling the ASW20 and even then some bits were challenging - took me ages to get those spoilers to work. There are good electric RES glider kits out there now with useful build logs on the web to follow that would probably be an easier and more satisfying place to start.  Others may have additional advice in this regard.  I'm afraid I can't help with the power option as I just build and fly unpowered gliders.  Anway see what you think when you get the plans.

All the best,
Peter

Andrew101

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 28, 2020, 08:33:22 AM »
Hi Peter,

Yes I realise I'm definitely in way over my head. The plans haven't arrived yet but was going to attempt the build anyway for the learning process and let it take as long as needed. But you're right I'll probably try and sell off the kit, canopy and plans and buy 2nd hand. Maybe have a go in a few years.

Thank you Andrew 😊

rogallo

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 28, 2020, 09:20:50 AM »
Welcome Andrew,
  Andrew Boyle from the phone call by any chance?

https://www.hoelleinshop.com/Planes-Helicopters-Quadcopters/Planes/Electric-gliders/Multiplex/EasyGlider-4-KIT-Version-Spw-1800mm-Multiplex-214332.htm?shop=hoellein_e&SessionId=&a=article&ProdNr=M214332&t=49301&c=12333&p=12333

is a good model to learn to fly with, this is the electric version. It requires 3 servos and the motor kit (listed in the accs tab) and a few leads etc. Are you already using Spektrum radio ? Is it DSM2 as you can no longer buy receivers for this any more.

Also requires is a battery an a bottle of glue and a radio set. Assuming you have a radio should cost about 250 euro.

Regards

Ralph

Spots or no Spots?
Tuff Choice.

Andrew101

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 28, 2020, 11:43:58 AM »
Hi Ralph,

Sorry that wasn't me.

I've been flying Heli's for 10 years on and off, can fly inverted circuits etc and just about manage piro flips. I have a trex 700L V2 and Sab Goblin 570 running a Spektrum DX9 using DSMX.

I'm not too keen on buying something that I may want to replace quickly. Long term goal is to fly a mid scale acro powered glider.

This was an impulse buy that I'd be happy to try and start, see how I get along and seek advice along the way. But think I'll just buy a ready to fly or ARTF. Don't really want to buy something that I would want to replace quickly though.

Thanks Andrew.