Author Topic: GWS Skyhawk  (Read 9983 times)

JohnPearson

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
GWS Skyhawk
« on: November 24, 2010, 23:19:38 PM »
Hi All

Another model for 2011 season, the gws skyhawk, a foam ducted fan model which could make a very nice little PSS jet for the slope, or you can fit a fan unit and fly it of the flat. I have two projects already on the go, however I could not resist this little jet at the price! £29.00 + postage from BRC hobbies. I always liked the skyhawk and this model is a good size with lots of detail and extras in the box. I have the F15 ducted fan model and Fred flys the F15 PSS version, both models fly very well and I think great value for the Euro!.

The model is a very quick build kit. as the photos below show ( 3hrs work) and the jet is ready to paint.

I will use common household water based paint and seal it with flair sealer satin finish.

I will keep you posted how she flys.

andrew wallace

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bmfc.btinternet.co.uk
GWS Skyhawk
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2010, 16:18:34 PM »
i think john you'll have more gliders than me the way you're going   :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
i\'m an ordinary man nothing special nothing grand

JohnPearson

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
GWS Skyhawk
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2010, 16:36:03 PM »
Mr Wallace, you could open your own model shop with the stock of models you have in your collection :lol:  :lol: this was just a wee impluse buy, a wee bargain, to good to miss. retail therapy is good for your health!! :D

billscottni

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nimsa.co.uk ; www.billscott.org.uk
GWS Skyhawk
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2010, 21:02:10 PM »
NEED therapy..............................MUST have therapy!!

JohnPearson

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
GWS Skyhawk
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2010, 21:38:57 PM »
well, I finished the Skyhawk today, with a nice paint scheme in one of the US Navy's training colours. I just need to seal the model with spray sealer, however it is a little cold in my workshop today, and I need to keep the door open when using flair sealer.

I was going to use a grey scheme however, the sun never shines when I get the chance to fly, so a nice bright scheme was used.

Hopefully I can get it in to the air next week if the snow disappears :?:

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
GWS Skyhawk
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2010, 11:56:53 AM »
Well, Mr. JP, for £29 and a couple of servos that looks a pretty good deal I‘d say. :clap:

I take it you’re not going to put a fan unit in her…………….They are rather noisy with a motor in them aren’t they. (Gliding is far more civilized.)

I assume you’ve left the air intakes ‘open’. I’d have thought to block them off would cause too much drag,….right?

We’re snowed in here….. The only things moving are 4x4’s Could be some time before Big L is usable again. :cry:  :cry:

K.
Try not to run out of airspeed, altitude and ideas....... all at the same time.

billscottni

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nimsa.co.uk ; www.billscott.org.uk
GWS Skyhawk
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2010, 15:36:24 PM »
pretty much snowed in here too Keith. I got to the bottom of the hill we use today, but there was no way I was geting the car up the hill and had to turn around.

I vaguely remember something years ago, that said at our scales, it was better to balnk off the intakes, something to do with the "wetted" area of the ducts? Bigger friction surface for the air to act on

Richard Boyd

• View Profile
GWS Skyhawk
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2010, 08:14:51 AM »
Hi John , your new toy looks cool, cannot wait to see her fly !!!!!
I really am worried about you and Andrew, I hope the men in white coats do not hear about your antics ! Even worse the wife !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock:

Slieve Gallion has 18'' (480mm) of snow on the slopes, temperatures were minus 16DC yesterday and with further freezing temperatures forcast I recon there will be very little flying this side of Christmas.
Who said, winter is the season for sloping ?

Richard
Richard Boyd
A bad days flying is better than a good days work.

Alan_Perse

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
GWS Skyhawk
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2010, 10:46:28 AM »
Looks Great John  :D  :D . Love to see it fly some day.
Looks like we will have plenty more building weather to come. Only problem is its to dame cold in the workshop to do any decent amount of work. The instructions on my wood glue say it won't set in temperatures below 4 Deg.

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
GWS Skyhawk
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2010, 11:21:32 AM »
So what’s the matter with the kitchen table Alan. Surely it’s not below 4 Deg’s in your kitchen,....... is it??? :lol:

K.
Try not to run out of airspeed, altitude and ideas....... all at the same time.

orionis

• View Profile
    • http://orionis1.free.fr
GWS Skyhawk
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2010, 13:01:37 PM »
Very nice color scheme, John!
(You don't forget me, do you?)