Author Topic: Model County Flying Club........New Flying Ground  (Read 13458 times)

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
Model County Flying Club........New Flying Ground
« on: January 31, 2011, 17:27:19 PM »
Here’s some general info concerning the Model County Flying Club.

The Clubs’ flying ground used to be just outside the village of Ferns Co.Wexford.
Due to the ESB building a sub station close by and stringing new power lines over the site, that site is now closed for flying. :cry:

A new site near the village of Monageer, (about a twenty minute drive from the old site) is in the process of being constructed.
The land is owned by one of the club members, (Brian) and together the club is creating what I think will prove to be a near first class flying site. :D

It comprises of a ten acre field. There will be three Main runways of around 90mter length with a large hexagonal ‘any direction’ take-off/landing area in the center thereof.
A Clubhouse with a kitchen for  ‘light’ cooking and tea/coffee making facilities, lounge with heater, where viewers can sit in relative comfort while looking out over the flying ground 8)  (and no doubt comment on other pilots faults, ) and a “charging room” to charge up those power hungry Li-Po’s. (Mains 220v supply laid in.)
The place will even have a flushing toilet for the benefit of pilots who had a particularly violent curry the previous night! :(  

A hard standing car park and outside bench table/seats will be available for those alfresco types. :wink:

All ISR members will be welcome to use the site.
With mains electricity available, I’m thinking that winch towing for gliders may well be possible.
I’ve never seen winch towing gliders launched before, sounds a good idea to me as it won’t need a tug plane and second pilot. If need be, the winch could be left at the site, (under secure lock and key.)

Turning to the slightly more delicate matter of money.
The M.C.F.C. welcomes all Cert A (and B) pilots with recognized insurance cover. (Those pilots without a Cert. would need to have a certified A or B pilot in attendance.)  However flight grounds don’t run themselves and members of the MCFC do have a rota of duties, mostly grass cutting.
If any other pilot wanted to use the flying site, other than during competitions or organized fly-in’s,  a small fee would be requested to go towards the clubs funds. The amount is yet to be decided, but I don’t think it’s likely to ‘break the bank.’
( The idea of this charge is so that  non MCFC members who aren’t involved with the ground’s work rota won’t feel that they are exploiting the good will of the MCFC members who do have to cut the grass and maintain facilities at the ground. )

The only times that gliders won’t be allowed on the site are during MCFC competitions days, the dates of these I’ll post in due course.

I honestly believe this is going to be a excellent flying ground and the more pilots who want to make use of the facilities the better.

So, with the summer not too far off (I hope) some (or all) ISR members might want to factor in the opportunity of some thermal flying here in the “Sunny Southeast”
Incidentally,……….Mt. Lienster is about 40minutes drive away. So if you went to Big L. and found insufficient wind to slope soar, you could toddle off to Monageer for some thermaling. Sounds good to me! :D

See you there,

Keith
Try not to run out of airspeed, altitude and ideas....... all at the same time.

Alan_Perse

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2011, 19:44:40 PM »
Sounds great Keith  :D  :D . 90 metre runways, they should be big enough for aerotowing.  When do you think it will be up and running?

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2011, 20:07:12 PM »
I  think aero towing of really big models would be no problem at all Alan. :D

You ask when it will be “open”. That’s a very ‘open’ question. (Pardon the pun. :lol: )
It all very much depends on the weather. :(

What is now a ten acre field was two smaller fields. Last autumn the dividing ditch was removed and the whole area ploughed, rolled and re-seeded. Unfortunately the seeding was completed just before the really cold weather came in, stopping any growth in it‘s tracks. :cry:
I was working at the site today and there is still hardly any grass growth at all. :x
So,…..to answer your question. If we get a mild Feb and March I would guess the runways would be ready for use around mid to late April. Other than that it could be late April early May. Certainly by the time that good thermaling weather arrives I should think the grass will be well established. 8)

K.

Fred

• Slope Soaring is not a crime!
  • Administrator
  • Gliderist Simplex
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gliderireland.net
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2011, 08:40:14 AM »
Hi Keith,

This is good news  :clap:
Might explain why Brian is really quiet these days!  :D

Alright so, let us know when you have the fees etc, and maybe if Brian agree, we can certainly try to have an aerotowing event planned  :D

That might boost me to finish my tow plane! :oops:
Education is important, but flying RC planes and gliders is importanter!

Alan_Perse

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2011, 15:27:09 PM »
Keith. Do you know where in Monageer it is. Might be able to see the Field with Google Street View.

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2011, 14:10:36 PM »
Hey Alan, the new flight ground is south east of Monagear, and about 2/3 mile north of the Enniscorthy to Oulart road.

I’ve tried looking on Google earth but their image was taken in 2002 and is of rather poor resolution. I can’t make out the field at all.

I’ve been there a number of times but at this moment I couldn’t tell anyone how to get there because I don’t remember any specific land marks. :roll:  (If only roads had names in Ireland!)(Although we’re getting post codes by the end of this year, I’m told.) So I can’t really help you there.

I, and others in the MCFC, are going there this weekend to do some more work on the site.
The large ‘mobile home cum club house’ was installed the weekend before last. This weekend we’re erecting some tall poles to support the safety nets that will shield the clubhouse and car parking area.

Then we’ll be having a “stone picking” brigade to leave the runways clear of obstacles and hopefully allow the grass to grow more profusely!

The ESB will be installing 220v into the clubhouse soon. And there will be a toilet to be built as well. All takes time though :!:
If you’ve got nothing to do this weekend, come down and join us if you like. :D  (Well, I thought I'd ask)

Keith

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2011, 09:29:23 AM »
Here is a new 2010 Google earth image of where the flying field is. The hedge row / ditch just to the right of the marker has been removed to form one large field.

The Google earth coordinates for the location are GEB3D9.kmz ( 52 30'32.28"N, 6 29'32.61"W )

We have done some flying there over the past weeks although the runways are still far from being fully grassed yet. They desperately need some rain. :(

I’ll update you further as developments occure.

Keith

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2011, 08:31:04 AM »
Perhaps a little late in the season for thermaling but just to let you all know that the MCFC flying ground is now open for powered and glider flying.

As stated before there is a club house with 240v main supply & a number of 20amp 12v DC power supply unites for battery chargers. There are 3, 90mtr runways so aerotowing is definitely possible even for the largest models, and to cap it all,……a  hard surface car park, so no muddy, slippery parking if it’s been raining.

Unfortunately the m.c.f.c. web site is totally out of date at this time. I am awaiting notification from Joe with a view to revamping it. (He has all the passwords and info). I got a text from him last night so hopefully that site will be updated very soon.

Above shows the "Clubhouse". There is a 'charging room' there for pumping electrons into batteries, and a kettle for all those cups of tea/coffee.

One of the 90 meter runways, with Vinegar Hill in the distance.

See you there!

Keith

Fred

• Slope Soaring is not a crime!
  • Administrator
  • Gliderist Simplex
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gliderireland.net
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2011, 12:04:45 PM »
Does that mean Aerotowing in 2012??  :D  :D  :?:
Education is important, but flying RC planes and gliders is importanter!

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2011, 12:19:02 PM »
It means Aerotowing in 2011 if you want to Fred :D

There's an F3A contest being run at the club on the last weekend of September, but other than that...............whenever you like!

K.

Alan_Perse

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2011, 17:40:58 PM »
Looks great Keith. Love to fly there some day soon.

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2011, 19:32:50 PM »
Provided you’ve got a current MACI card,…..name your day Alan!

I have a little tug that can tow most gliders up to about 2mtrs,  :)   or you could bungee, :D  (provided you have one.) Or, if you wanted to, you could have a go at flying one of my powered planes. 8)  (With  buddy box if you felt a little unsure.)

You’d be very welcome.

K.

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile