Author Topic: MDM 3m Fox  (Read 20857 times)

JohnPearson

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
MDM 3m Fox
« on: March 22, 2011, 22:41:56 PM »
Well I have done it again, yes, purchased another glider because, it was a wee bargain. I got the Fly fly Fox 3m, from Slough RC models for £160, normally £230 in most model shops, also they only charged me £6.50 for p&p and two day delivery.

On inspection the kit looks good, well packed and a good finish, the build should be quick as with most of the flyfly range. Here are a few spec:

Specification
Wingspan: 3000mm (118.11")
Length: 1520mm (59.84")
Weight: 1700 - 1900g
Servos: 5x 9g, 1x Standard
Radio System: 4 - 5 Ch. (Req.)
Wing Section: Eppler 205

I will keep you all updated with the build and test flights.

johnp

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
MDM 3m Fox
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2011, 23:22:41 PM »
Now that’s interesting John, and unquestionably a very good price. :D

I’ve been told that Fly Fly models tend to be of ‘light weight’ construction and consequentially not very strong.

Having had a chance to take a close look at your model what do you think? My greatest concern would be about the strength of the fuse, how does it look to you?
Is it a built up wing or foam core?

Keith
Try not to run out of airspeed, altitude and ideas....... all at the same time.

Alan_Perse

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
MDM 3m Fox
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2011, 10:52:49 AM »
Looks like a nice model John.
Quote from: "Happy Days"
Is it a built up wing or foam core?

Thats what I'd like to know as well. Looking at the root of the wing in one of your pictures it looks like a built up wing to me.

JohnPearson

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
MDM 3m Fox
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2011, 11:54:25 AM »
Hi Keith

Overall the the glider looks good, no twists or damage to the parts. The only concern I have is at the back of the fuselage where the tail meets, the glass is  thick here, however the sides do flex a little due to poor bracing supports inside the fuselage at this point ( most likey to safe weight). Other than that, I think overall, it is good value for money. Fly fly gliders fly well, if you want a standard fun model at a price, however, even spending £300 or more for a glider, does not mean that it will be any better quality, just look at my vector 3, great flying model but sh*# quality fuselage!

A new 3m glider at this price,  :lol: after all it will give me a good base for when the big 5m fox comes along later this year :wink:

andrew wallace

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bmfc.btinternet.co.uk
MDM 3m Fox
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2011, 16:37:35 PM »
nice one john
i had ordered one through bill's hobbies here in coleraine last year and never got it there was some problem with ripmax and now the fly fly models are hard to get
can't wait to see it fly you'll have it ready for Moneymore in april  :D
i\'m an ordinary man nothing special nothing grand

JohnPearson

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
MDM 3m Fox
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2011, 17:47:10 PM »
Hi Andrew

Should be ready for the moneymore slope fest' I see that hobby store are also selling the fly fly range at a great price, slough are selling the dr808 4m glider for £174, I paid £250 last season :x

I am now nearly as bad as you, when it comes to buying gliders, boyd will be rolling the eyes when we meet again :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Fred

• Slope Soaring is not a crime!
  • Administrator
  • Gliderist Simplex
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gliderireland.net
MDM 3m Fox
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2011, 21:15:07 PM »
Looking good John!  :clap:

But still 2metres short of 5!  :mrgreen:
Education is important, but flying RC planes and gliders is importanter!

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
MDM 3m Fox
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2011, 23:06:27 PM »
Yes, I’ve noticed the problem with fuse’s flexing normally resulting in cracks at the base of the tail (particularly with T tail models) or just behind the wing saddle area. :evil:

Let’s hope this one can stand the strain of all your wild aerobatics. :wink:  (Certainly a very good price)
ER,…..and what are the wings made of again??? :?:

Ignore Fred’s comments,……….he has an obsession with size :roll:

Keith
Try not to run out of airspeed, altitude and ideas....... all at the same time.

JohnPearson

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
MDM 3m Fox
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2011, 23:43:22 PM »
Hi Keith

Size does matter :wink: in the glider world!, still want a big fox fred :lol:

Now keith, the wings are made up with ply and a very hard balsa, I have checked them, and they seem stiff and strong, the wing support is the biggest rod of carbon I have ever used in a glider. The tips are  solid plastic with a hard white finish.

Tonight I fitted the rudder and close loop system, added the tailplane and fitted the elevator servo, also fitted the under belly wheel with a kind of spring system to act as a shock absorber, so far, no problems.

JohnPearson

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
MDM 3m Fox
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2011, 22:48:20 PM »
A little more work done on the Fox today, I fitted the canopy and with the space available, I added a pilot. I just used the decals supplied with the model, later I may replace them with another set, however they look fine. Next I need to finish the wings, which hopefully will be this week if the servos arrive on Monday.

A photo of the model with the orange flame design supplied with the kit:

happy Landings

JohnPearson

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
MDM 3m Fox
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2011, 22:51:26 PM »
Hi guys, well what a weekend, the fox flew on her maiden flight and all I can say is WOW!. This may be a cheap model and not up to the standard of the european gliders, however, what a great flying glider, smooth, fast and a great model for scale aerobatics. I gave the fox a good hard workout with high speed turns, four point rolls, loops. spins and the best 1/2 pipes and stall turns I have ever done, she done all this with ease, with only a slight flex of the wings on the turns. When it came to call for a landing, the fox nearly landed herself, just turn into wind and use the elevator to a smooth landing right on the wheel, no flaps needed. On the second flight, I flew back behind the slope to far, and had to land in a stoney area, however i set her down luckily between two big stones, you could say a spot landing :lol:

I think there may be some video, I will post if any

I have now had about 4 flights and this model just gets better with every flight.

Dislikes : plastic wheel in undercarrage, servo covers,

Overall a great model for the price (£160.00) if you fancy a bit of scale aerobatic on a budget!!