Author Topic: Easter Holiday flying.  (Read 20289 times)

Richard Boyd

• View Profile
Easter Holiday flying.
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2011, 07:04:20 AM »
These are a few snaps from yesterdays flying.

These measurement are MPH !!!!!!!!
WINDS INCREASED TO 69 KMPH AFTER 2PM

This Secret Weapon of Karls is a beautiful plane to fly !!!!!!

The Fox is the best plane I have ever flown, it really suits my style.

I took John to the Big East Cliff ! not for the faint hearted. This is a slope that produces mega lift.

Richard
Richard Boyd
A bad days flying is better than a good days work.

Richard Boyd

• View Profile
Easter Holiday flying.
« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2011, 07:13:20 AM »
This is what happens when you think your CPLR !
4 point rolls 50cm from the slope face is cruel to planes  :?:

My windrider fox is going to be another few grammes heavier with uhu por lol

Richard
Richard Boyd

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
Easter Holiday flying.
« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2011, 08:36:33 AM »
Well thank you concierge Richard, we have plenty of options there. :)

Yesterdays wind speed and visibility at Slieve Gallion couldn’t have been better could they. (Well, perhaps a little stronger wind.) I do hope they continue for tomorrow.
Do you think Andrew will show tomorrow? After all, there are an awful lot of trees at the bottom of that slope. Hope he brings his spectacles so he can see them.. :lol:   ( :?: Hmmm, that was a bit cruel wasn’t it, ……..sorry about that Andy. :D )

Looks to me as thought Karl is a Phase 6 fanatic. Pink and yellow,…….very fetching. :P  Are those wings symmetric or semi-symmetric?

As for your ‘wee’ Fox Richard, I know the feeling for doing close in aerobatics. I think the danger gives the manoeuvres that tinge of excitement that makes you feel as though you “must” try them. :twisted:  Very gratifying when they work :D , very damaging to the models when they don’t. :oops:

What time tomorrow lads? (Sun rises at 6 o/c ) (No, …..I wont be there at 6 o/c)

K.

Oh,……..one more thing,……..tell  JP to bring his BIG B52 please. I’ve never actually seen that bird in the air! :clap:
Try not to run out of airspeed, altitude and ideas....... all at the same time.

Richard Boyd

• View Profile
Easter Holiday flying.
« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2011, 09:44:24 AM »
Hi Keith , time !
What ever time suits the rest, I get up around 5am most mornings !
I had to get Mrs P to waken John at 10.30am yesterday, God bless little John.
Andrew and Terry is coming down also tomorrow !
JP has the B52 all ready to fly for you.
I hope Karl will also be there.
I have a large pump flask and tea coffee etc. if anyone else has flasks then fill them and bring them along, I have cups+spoons .
Were is the French Foreign Legioner ?
They have motto, "March to Die"
Freds motto "fly to die"
The winds are blowing strong again today !
Wall to wall sunshine, lets hope it remains for tomorrow.

Richard
Richard Boyd

billscottni

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nimsa.co.uk ; www.billscott.org.uk
Easter Holiday flying.
« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2011, 10:35:02 AM »
I'm aiming to leave Belfast around 9 so should be on the hill 10 - 1030

Fred

• Slope Soaring is not a crime!
  • Administrator
  • Gliderist Simplex
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gliderireland.net
Easter Holiday flying.
« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2011, 12:25:14 PM »
Thanks for the photos  :clap:
Looks like you had great fun up there!  :D

Sorry, can't be with you tomorrow, we just move the father in a 24/7 unit  :( , so I have a few more things to do before I can go somewhere.

Hope you have fun tomorrow! I envy you!!  :!:
Education is important, but flying RC planes and gliders is importanter!

andrew wallace

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bmfc.btinternet.co.uk
Easter Holiday flying.
« Reply #36 on: May 01, 2011, 19:38:33 PM »
hi fred
family comes first there will be plenty of other times when we will get to fly  :D
i\'m an ordinary man nothing special nothing grand

Richard Boyd

• View Profile
Easter Holiday flying.
« Reply #37 on: May 02, 2011, 20:23:28 PM »
Hi Fred sorry to hear about your Father Inlaw.

Today we were joined by the Honourable Mr. Keith/Happy Days ! and it was a happy day that we had on the slope.
I arrived at 10.20 and Keith was already on the slope, John soon followed as did Andrew , Terry,Robert and Karl.
Winds picked up in the evening to 72KMPH !!!!!
This was fun fun fun.
Thanks to Keith for travelling up and for the good company !!!!
John flew the big B52 and it floated about the sky with presence.
Beautiful :clap:

All in all another fantastic day on Slieve Gallion !

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/v/fweZ53njqA4&feature=player_embedded#at=120[/youtube]
Richard Boyd

JohnPearson

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
Easter Holiday flying.
« Reply #38 on: May 02, 2011, 22:49:17 PM »
Hi Terry thanks for the fantastic video, yes it was a great day on the slope today, with very strong winds. It was good to get the big lady into the air again, she likes plenty of wind beneath her wings for a smooth flight and today she was in her element. The B52 is not hard to fly but she will kick back at you if you don't treat her with respect, the light touch is required.
It was good to have Sir Keith joining us up north and his good lady, also the ballymoney lads, overall a good day with lots of flying, with good craic and Richard's standard supply of Hot dogs.

Sorry, but I have no photos, I was to busy flying, I have flown more in the last couple of months than I did, all last year :lol:

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
Easter Holiday flying.
« Reply #39 on: May 03, 2011, 00:15:54 AM »
Well,……that was SOME days flying. The East Slope at Slieve Gallion is very interesting having two lift zones. ( Created by two slopes.) The first lift comes off  the top ridge, (Flying ridge) The other comes off a further ridge some 2 -300 meters in front of, and a hundred feet below the flying ridge.
As I found to my displeasure, if I flew too low in front of, and below the top ridge, there seem to be eddie currents coming from the second (lower and further forward) ridge that just pushes the model down!

Just as an aside to the matter of flying, when I went down to retrieve my plane I inadvertently walked straight into a bog. Knee deep,………fell forward,…….got covered in rotting organic compounds. Didn’t feel very nice. (soggy jeans, squelchy shoes, a wet jacket and nothing to change into. More on this anon.) Luckily this happened right at the end of the day.

Good winds generated masses of lift, which for my little models, needed full ballast just to get them to penetrate. It was a really good day with great flying, greater company, and a wonderful landing zone,….Long smooth grass with very few rocks making landing soooo easy. Unless you’re J.P. who loves to show off by spot landing between the only two rocks within half a mile of the flying area. (He’s such a flash bugger that guy. :roll: )

The Big B52 looked incredibly majestic silhouetted against the blue sky, and very dramatic when flown in close to the ridge. Wonderful sight.
JP and Richard enjoyed their 3mtr Fox’s while Andy seemed mesmerised with his very ballistic Bullet. Meanwhile Karl was flying his phase 6, which I now see isn’t a phase 6 at all. And no one seems to quite know what it is, but it certainly flys. Say-no-more! :D

Many thanks gentlemen for your company, help and advise.  Many thanks to Richard for all the tea, and sandwiches.

Oh,…..and about that bog I fell into……………

For the first hour of driving home I rather forgot about the incident. Mandy and I just talked about how our day had gone. She shopping, me flying.
Eventually the conversation went quiet…………….
After a while Mandy sniffed the air, turned to me and said, “Have you farted?”
“No” I replied, (pause……) “May be a farmer has been muck spreading.”
A couple of miles passed.
“You have farted!” she insisted
“I haven’t!!” I protested.
Turning to look out of the passenger window she muttered under her breath, “I recon you’ve either farted or you shit yourself on that ridge today.”
I ignored the comment.
Thirty seconds latter we both turned to each other and said simultaneously “It’s that BLOODY BOG!”   :evil:  

Thanks again gentlemen,…it was a pleasure flying with you. (I shall return!)

Keith
Try not to run out of airspeed, altitude and ideas....... all at the same time.

andrew wallace

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bmfc.btinternet.co.uk
Easter Holiday flying.
« Reply #40 on: May 03, 2011, 14:03:29 PM »
:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
sorry for laughing keith
a great day and many thanks for coming up and spending the day with us :clap:
i\'m an ordinary man nothing special nothing grand