Author Topic: ka-3  (Read 32593 times)

gerryb

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
ka-3
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2011, 23:23:36 PM »
thanks sheldon!!! i'll have to read that again tomorrow when my head is clearer.  (thinks) god, i hope he doesn't find fault with anything there, this could go on forever and ever and eve.........

billscottni

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nimsa.co.uk ; www.billscott.org.uk
ka-3
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2011, 10:35:51 AM »
Condolences Fred and don't worry about what's going on here for a while. Family comes first

mat2verre

• View Profile
    • http://falaisemodeleclub.free.fr
ka-3
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2011, 15:02:50 PM »
Quote from: "woodstock"
Beautiful work Gerry  :clap: !

(I don't suppose you really meant to post in the "for sale" section, did you?)

No, he just wanted to post in the "for sCale" section  :lol:

Great building, has your pilot been bought at AH Design's?

@Fred: toutes mes condoléances, on pense bien à toi et à ta petite famille...*

@Gerryb: Thanks for nothing... "I told you... My mother brought me to pass tests, I'm not crazy"  :D  :D  :D

Mat
"Tu vois Bernard, toi et moi on a le même problème: on peut pas tout miser sur notre physique, surtout toi..."

gerryb

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
ka-3
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2011, 22:06:06 PM »
hi mat, thanks for compliments on ka-3.

yea, i bought pilot from ah designs. i asked for a sweater with the doppler effect on display but apparently it had been taken by someone on this very forum. imagine that!!

i hope to cover ka-3 this week, ready to fly soon

billscottni

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
ka-3
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2011, 11:47:36 AM »
What did you think of the AH Design pilot Gerry? I bought one for my KA-3 and I thought the legs were a bit out of proportion: too long?

Alan_Perse

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
ka-3
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2011, 11:55:49 AM »
Condolences Fred. Please give my condolences to your wife.

Bill I agree with you about the pilots. I have two pilots from AH Design. One 1/4 scale the other 1/5 scale. The legs on both seem to be two long. In fact I'm going to have to shorten the legs on the 1/5 scale pilot because it won't fit in my skylarch 2.

billscottni

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
ka-3
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2011, 12:21:15 PM »
It's a bit unusual, because there is a formula that uses a ratio between , (I thinK) shoulder to elbow which gives you a leg length.

gerryb

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
ka-3
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2011, 00:00:58 AM »
just spent a bit of time measuring the pilot in my ka-3 (what else would you be doing at 11.30 on a sunday night...must get a life!!).  length of head/neck is 3"; body is 4 1/4"; legs are 9 1/2". total 16 3/4".

if you multiply each measurement by a scale factor of 4, you get length of head 12"; body 17"; legs 38".

at 1/4 scale, i figure this gives us a full size pilot of 67" or 5' 7". not a very tall pilot you'll agree but the proportion of body to legs doesn't seem right.

i think the problem is not with the legs but with the body. i think it should be about 1" to 1 1/2" longer to be in better proportion to the legs. some time, when you have nothing better to do, take your own measurements and see what you think.

just make sure nobody is watching!!

billscottni

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
ka-3
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2011, 08:22:32 AM »
I could say I was training to be a tailor!!  :roll:  :wink:

Fred

• Slope Soaring is not a crime!
  • Administrator
  • Gliderist Simplex
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gliderireland.net
ka-3
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2011, 09:19:12 AM »
Thank you all for your kind words, much appreciated.
(to stay on this topic, I replied to a few texts also, but my colleagues told me this morning they never received them! I have a new phone for a few weeks now, so that might be since day one! If I never replied to a text etc, please accept my apologies! Vodafone is having a look at that now!  :!:  :!: )

Anyway, as usual, great work from Ger!  :clap:  :clap:  Your Ka3 is really looking good!  :clap:
What colours are you going to do yours? (if you already know)
Education is important, but flying RC planes and gliders is importanter!

gerryb

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
ka-3
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2011, 14:02:38 PM »
thanks fred. i decided from the start that i would build a typical ka-3 rather than a specific one. so i put parts of different '3s for scale effect.
 i'm going to use the same scheme you used for your 1/4 sc model except in light blue and yellow solartex.
i'm cutting parts at the moment, so hopefully i'll be finished covering by the weekend.

USA Thermaleer

• View Profile
ka-3
« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2011, 23:39:40 PM »
Very nice build, Here in America very few people build anymore and even fewer, scale sailplanes! Kudos to you and I am going to order a short kit from Fred! Keep up the great work, Joser

Fred

• Slope Soaring is not a crime!
  • Administrator
  • Gliderist Simplex
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gliderireland.net
ka-3
« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2011, 20:04:21 PM »
Hi Joser,
Welcome to the forum!  :D

Strangely enough, considering the number of modellers in the US, I think you are right!
You have some very very good builder, like Fred China, but most reports from scale events only shows RTF glider (off the shelves), very few hand made / built up glider. But that seems to be the way the hobby is going to these days I guess. The technicality of the hobby is pushed backward more and more, but who is to blame? Modellers or manufacturers?

Ok, end of the OT rant, sorry Ger!  :oops:
Education is important, but flying RC planes and gliders is importanter!

gerryb

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
ka-3
« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2011, 21:09:57 PM »
thanks joser and welcome to the forum. lots of building going on here and more to come.
re arf's, i find i go through stages, sometimes lots of building, then something arf takes my fancy, then enough of that, back to the building.
i think arf has its place, especially if you want to get into flying quickly. i'm sure lots of guys who would never have got into models did so because arf's were so readily available.  once you're comfortable flying with a couple of models under your belt, then it's time to consider building your own. with a bit of practice on easy-build models who's to say what you might take on as a project, even a ka-3!! (me climbing down off speech box).
are you going to show us some of your work joser? please do, we'd love to see it.

gerryb

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
ka-3
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2012, 23:41:44 PM »
finally got out for 1st glider flight of 2012.  went to tountinna today for a couple of hours and flew  my new ka-3.  it flew beautifully javascript:emoticon(':D') wind was nw, about 8 to 10 kts, some low cloud and a very enjoyable outing was had by me!!!  some photos as promised.
colour scheme is not scale, but the blue and yellow show up very nicely against the sky.  thanks again fred