Author Topic: First Flight of Big Keith's Zagi  (Read 4951 times)

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
First Flight of Big Keith's Zagi
« on: January 29, 2013, 11:10:16 AM »
Last Sunday was windy, in fact it was more than just windy, it was very windy, some might say 'extremely' windy. Whatever you want to call it, it was not a day for  fainthearted flyers. So myself, my namesake, and friend Stephen, (aka stephen.shannon.) ventured forth to do battle with the elements on the Big L. :twisted:

Keith, (Big Keith not me) had just finished building a Zagi which his good lady had bought him for xmas.
It can be seen in the following picture. Keith had covered the top of the combat wing to match his jacket and scarf. (He’s very fashion conscious  you know. :roll: )
The second picture shows the bottom of the wing,…….and Keith getting a bit stuck in the mud. :oops:

We had tried to fly off of the south slope, unfortunately the wind was tangential to the slope and although there were was lift the winds were too strong to allow penetration. I tried with my Skua but it would not go forward into the lift. I had ballast back at the car park but didn’t fancy the long walk back to the car and up the hill again.

Instead we came off the south slope and moved to the west slope. The wind was tangential to that slope as well but not quite so strong there. Following basic pre flight checks the virgin Zagi was taken to the top of the west slope and launched into the air stream. :D

To Keith’s amazement, and Stephen & my delight, out flew the Zagi into the lift. Up, up and away until she was just a  dot in the heavy skies over Mount Lienster, and then back again to land on the heather. :clap:
The Zagi will need some small adjustments to refine here performance but she flew.

So now Big Keith, (or “Mountain Man” as I thing his name should be! :lol: )with his own radio gear, models and experience, is now a fully fledged member of ISR. Welcome to the Party Keith!  :D  :clap:

K.
Try not to run out of airspeed, altitude and ideas....... all at the same time.

Fred

• Slope Soaring is not a crime!
  • Administrator
  • Gliderist Simplex
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gliderireland.net
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2013, 20:35:19 PM »
Sound like fun!

Very nice guys!  :clap:  :clap:
Education is important, but flying RC planes and gliders is importanter!

billscottni

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nimsa.co.uk ; www.billscott.org.uk
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2013, 21:14:04 PM »
Another member for the asylum, and oh no another KEITH!! only kidding !

Hope to be down later in the year to meet up with the newest members

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2013, 21:46:32 PM »
Don’t complain Bill, after all Keith is a Scottish name! :lol:

Look forward to seeing your happy smiling face again :D

K.
Try not to run out of airspeed, altitude and ideas....... all at the same time.

billscottni

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nimsa.co.uk ; www.billscott.org.uk
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2013, 21:51:07 PM »
no chance of happy smiling, at Christmas girls in the office bought me a T shirt which said

Founder member of the grumpy old gits club"

Freedom Flyer

• View Profile
Zagi
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2013, 19:40:08 PM »
So keith, that's a Zagi? Was it an option to power that kit or was it a slope plane only?  I've got a Zagi a friend of mine gave me years ago, I opened it up it was missing all sorts of stuff, or maybe that's how those kits come, so I shoved it under the work bench and that's where it sits to this day. In my present work situation I'm away from home every 8 days for 8 days and there are some possible slopes to fly on but very questionable for my balsa planes.  Thinking I should probably put that Zagi together so I can fly something that isn't going to break when coming in contact with a tree branch or rock. :?:

I'll dig it out when I get home from this shift and see what it's going to take to get all the stuff I need and get it together.  If anything I can use it as a test bed for lift conditions for my other planes. :).  Would appreciate any feed back, Thanks FF.
Still learning after all these years

Keith

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2013, 14:09:19 PM »
Hi ff i sent you a pm . If you have any questions just fire away if i dont give you the right answer there is loads of helpful people here that will jump in and put us right :-)