Author Topic: Noob Flier  (Read 6564 times)

Oirishman

• View Profile
Noob Flier
« on: March 18, 2014, 14:02:13 PM »
Hi I just found this site. I fly rc helis  but i would like to have a go at gliding or soaring.
i,m sure there are lots of you have 2nd hand gear that you started on and dont use anymore,that you would be willing to sell on.(cheap)  
If so let me know.
Based in Bray Co Wicklow.

gerryb

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
Noob Flier
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2014, 15:58:53 PM »
hello oirishman and welcome to the forum.  good to hear you're getting into gliding.

have a look at the 'for sale' part of the site, might be something there that you fancy.  the flyfly salto is mine if you're interested.

as a matter of interest, where are you based?

gerryb

Oirishman

• View Profile
Noob Flier
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2014, 16:53:29 PM »
I looked at the flyfly and it looks good but
Could someone suggest a good starter glider and handset.theres no point in me looking in the for sale section  as the models mean nothing to me.
i would like the handset to be compatible with other models for upgrading.

Fred

• Slope Soaring is not a crime!
  • Administrator
  • Gliderist Simplex
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gliderireland.net
Noob Flier
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2014, 19:34:22 PM »
Hi Jack,

Welcome over here :)

Alright, so, the usual question in this case  :)  What is your budget? We can then take it from here and find something that will suit you

You are flying Helis, you must have a good radio, or at least something 4 to 6 channel right?  :?:

That would remove a big chunk of worries in your budget, as most of the time, the electronic cost more than the plane itself!  :cry:

I suggested an EasyGlider, or a Radian. Great gliders, cheapish, and will follow you a long way into your learning process and after.
Option B would be a flying wing, in EPP if possible to take all the abuse during your learning curve.

You can also make your own (see Jumbo's post, a thread down  :D ), unless you really want to go RTF.

If you are still not too sure, best thing to do, would be to meet at the slope, either in Dublin (Killakee) or at our next meeting if you can come (12-13 April). You will be able to see pretty everything glider wise that can be done, and also, give it a go yourself  :D
I have an Easyglider for this exact purpose, and I'm sure that little Keith, or one of our Keith (lots of Keiths in slope soaring I believe  :lol: ) have a flying wing ready to be abused at the slope!

Hope this gives you a few pointers, but please, don't hesitate to ask as many questions as you need! :D
Education is important, but flying RC planes and gliders is importanter!

Oirishman

• View Profile
12 april
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2014, 10:23:32 AM »
that sounds good   i,ll make a note and come along and have a look.
thanks for the response
will and good  heli remote work on a glider .
they are 2.4Ghz
i,m not into radio gear  i dont understand them.

Fred

• Administrator
  • Gliderist Simplex
    • View Profile
Noob Flier
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2014, 11:57:14 AM »
No problem :)

Yeah, Helis radios etc, good for Gliders.

What is your radio make/ name?
Should be fine anyway, so I would not worry too much about that  :D

A few links about the gliders I am talking about if you haven't seen them yet:

http://www.horizonhobby.co.uk/aeroonline/e3parkzone/e3pkz4700/e3pkz4700.html

http://www.modellhobby.de/Models/Modelplanes/Electric-glider/MULTIPLEX-EasyGlider-PRO-electric-1-80m-RTF.htm?shop=k_staufenb_e&a=article&ProdNr=01513271&t=130&c=31&p=31

Flying wing. Something like this:

http://www.modelmaniacsonline.co.uk/products.php?ProductID=4897&CatID=423&SubCatID=425&Title=JP+ZAGI-SI+48inch+Span&ManCode=5500285

After that, lots of choices, depending of your budget of course.
You also have the option to go for an electric glider (like the EasyGlider pro) to fly flat field etc etc..

stephen.shannon

• View Profile
Noob Flier
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2014, 23:28:45 PM »
Hi Oirishman, you're very welcome on here. I'm a novice pilot joining up about 18 months ago, I'm flying the easyglider, Fred mentioned, and a skua combat wing, my mate Big Keith started with a Zagi wing, bought from Sussex Model Center in the UK.

The 2.4ghz gear you have will suit all the models I've mentioned, the easy glider is four channel and the combat wings are just two channel with a mix arrangement on the control surfaces.

The easy glider is dream to fly, it's about €80 for the kit, €100 delivered but with a couple of hours it's built and ready to go. It's easy to fly and repair which is great. Little Keith (Happy Days) thought me and to be honest he's brilliant, mainly as he's shed loads of patience :-) I've honed my skills on a phenoix RC simulator, but nothing beats the real thing.

Come along to the April glide in and take a look, you might even get a cuppa on the mountain while you have a go.

Stephen
Our deepest fear is not that we are weak but that we are powerful beyond measure..... Marianne Williamson

Oirishman

• View Profile
gliders
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2014, 19:59:20 PM »
thanks for all the info.  do those gliders come apart for transport   i have a small car.

Fred

• Administrator
  • Gliderist Simplex
    • View Profile
Noob Flier
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2014, 20:09:07 PM »
Sorry for the late reply.

Yep, most of them have removable wings. Some, you can also remove the stabilisator, rudder etc, so they are quiet compact disassembled.

I use to fit a 5m and 2x 4m gliders in my Clio  :D  (but have to drive alone.. Not a big problem anyway, with this way of life, you are pretty much alone anyway  :lol:   :lol: )