Author Topic: Wake up lads, it's nearly Spring Time.  (Read 3650 times)

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
Wake up lads, it's nearly Spring Time.
« on: February 20, 2014, 15:30:57 PM »
Here’s a little tale to wake you slope soarers up from you hibernation.

A couple of weeks ago, Big Keith and myself  made our way to the big L. Unfortunately, when I got there , while I was going my pre flight checks I noticed that the right tail plane was broken away from the fuse’. I don’t know when it had happened. Maybe I’d had a rough landing the previous time out, or maybe it was “Hanger Rash”. Whatever the cause I wasn’t going to flying the Phase 6 that day.

When I got home I repaired it. A couple of days ago I flew the model and it was fine.

Today, once again on my favourite slope, the weather was very gusty. I brought the P6 in to land. The winds were gusting quite strongly. Suddenly her nose pitched up. She gained some height and started blowing backwards towards the trees. I pushed the elevator forward in an attempt to get her nose down and allow her to make some headway into the strong wind. Well, she pitched down all right but didn’t loose much height or progress forward much and ended up,…..in the BLOODY TREES !!! ( I haven’t had that happen for a good few years.)

Fortunately she wasn’t too high in the branches, but in the process of getting her down,……I broke the left tail plane! Oh Bugger!

There! That’s put a little smile on your faces hasn’t it. So start considering getting those modes out of the hanger and checking them over. After all, it’s only a couple of weekends away from the first Glide-In of the year. Ypieeeee. (That should read ‘Yipeeeee’)( I thought I’d just point that out in case Mr. Buckley picks me up on it. )

Little Keith
Try not to run out of airspeed, altitude and ideas....... all at the same time.

johnfireball

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2014, 22:33:37 PM »
Hi Keith,
          So the new phase is broken already  I regularly break tailplanes just putting models in the car. Looking forward to flyin.
John.
I have the body of an 18 year old.........I keep it in the freezer

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2014, 08:02:24 AM »
Yeah, it’s an ‘occupational hazard’ isn’t it John. :(  If you don’t want them to get damaged,….don’t fly them!

14 days - and counting……………… :D

Fred

• Slope Soaring is not a crime!
  • Administrator
  • Gliderist Simplex
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gliderireland.net
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2014, 08:53:25 AM »
13 sleeps :)

Talking about Spring being back, it is also time to do a bit of glider maintenance to get ready for the new season :)

Cycled batteries last night, a bit of WD40 there and there, cleaning fuselages, wings etc  :D
Education is important, but flying RC planes and gliders is importanter!

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2014, 09:32:59 AM »
Oh my,……aren’t you a good boy Fred. :clap:

I do hope the weather is good for us. This glide-in is a bit earlier in the year than past times I think. It could be a bit chilly. Time to dig out those Willy Warmers lads :D  (cock sock) and give them a wash to freshen ‘em up. :lol: