Author Topic: Racing League  (Read 8503 times)

joe

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.islandsloperebels.com
Racing League
« on: November 13, 2008, 17:36:53 PM »
So Fred. You are thinking of putting together a simple basic racing league?

Maybe keep it really open so we can all take part?

We could probably get 4/5 people out on a regular basis.

Standard 1000metre course or were you thinking of smaller?

What about classes? maybe a foamy and a standard open class?

Count me in. Anyone else into it?

Alan_Perse

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
Racing League
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2008, 17:51:37 PM »
I would love to take part. But unfortunalty i have a lot of college work at the moment. I can not garentee i will be able to take part until after May next year.

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
Racing League
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2008, 19:47:09 PM »
Oh Yes! :lol:  I don't know how it all works but it sounds great.........someone explain to me what I have to do! :?:

Are there any prizes for best crashes?

I've just ordered a Phase 6, could I use that?

Tell me! Tell me! Tell me!

Keith.
Try not to run out of airspeed, altitude and ideas....... all at the same time.

Brian

• View Profile
Racing League
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2008, 21:25:53 PM »
Hi Keith,
The model wont make much difference.
What's involved ??;
1000M course made up by placing two markers 100m apart on the ridge.
You ,when the whistle blows,run ten times between the markers to complete the 1000m then toss off your model perform a loop a roll then land. Fastest time wins. !! :lol:  :lol: !!

Brian
Serious Power

IceWind

• View Profile
    • http://icewind.no.sapo.pt
Racing League
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2008, 21:43:31 PM »
What type of race, something like F3F?
Either way count me in! :-)

--
Brian answered while i was writing. So it is like F3F. :)
..Nando

Fred

• Slope Soaring is not a crime!
  • Administrator
  • Gliderist Simplex
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gliderireland.net
Racing League
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2008, 12:18:01 PM »
Alright guys, sorry for the late answer.. A bit overbooked !  :!:  :!:

So, yeah, the idea is to relaunch/launch (we did a trial one day in Kilakee... Joe still beat me by 1 sec !!  :twisted: ) racing over here.

I am working on a dedicated page (http://race.gliderireland.net not working yet !!) with all the "rules", pilot list, event calendar and so on...

Sooooooo.. The plan, is to keep it simple, open to everyone. I'm working on a way that all the machines will have the same chances, and insist more on the regularity of the results over a year of race, than single "record type flight" with expensive machines just once in a while. Sorry, not sure if this is clear, but let me know if not  :?:  But later, you will see what I mean !

Categories ? Yep, F3F, Foamies, 60", Open.

F3F--> well, easy, all the F3F machines out there, competing together in the same class
Foamies --> everything made out of foam !
60" --> for 60" machines (like the Destiny), but we can certainly extend that to all molded gliders,  size up to 2metres....
Open --> everything else (so yes, you can play with a phase 6, a Spirit even !  :D )

Race, type FAI F3F, on a 1km course (10x 100m laps)

We will have specific rules for us (we will not follow the FAI ones yet !), and they can change along the event/experience during the events/year.

We can work all together on rules here if you want. We can create a new thread for that, to keep it clean. What do you think ?

The only FAI rule I would keep, is the minimum wind speed to have a viable race (3m/s and up), as by experience, racing in low wind condition, is... well, boring ! This is not F3J, we still have to go fast at some point !  :P

I propose to host each time we do a meeting , a racing event, to be added to the calendar.
Of course, and I hope, other clubs out there will join us, and put dates on the calendar !

Oh yeah, because we need to get organized, all pilot who wish to participate to the races, must register first ( we need to have judges and so on.. Cannot move people if we don't know if people are coming or not !), so after a calendar update, registration will open.

Each pilot can participate to as many races and categories during the year as they want, at the end of the year, we count the points for each pilot in each categories, and declare a winner by category. As you can imagine, regularity will pay, maybe more than pure hardcore speed !
You can win in your category, even flying like a blind snail  :P  a 1920 glider as long as you are regular in your results over the year/season.

I think that will open the categories to a large public, and is fair to everybody !

So, here is the idea... Still work in progress, but any inputs are more than welcome !
Race page should be up soon !
Of course, if there is no interrest, well, that's it, I'm done, but at least, we've tried !  :D
Education is important, but flying RC planes and gliders is importanter!

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
Racing League
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2008, 18:14:21 PM »
Okay Fred, thanks for the explanation. Not too sure what F3F and F3J are? :?:

(Reminds me of A1A and J3E in the world of Radio communications,.... but never mind about that!)

Yup I'll have a go at racing. My Zagi is made of foam, (Max speed: two miles a fortnight :roll: ) can I race that?

In my mind I can't see how and where markers could be placed but I'm sure it's all a well practiced formula.

Tally-Ho
Try not to run out of airspeed, altitude and ideas....... all at the same time.

Brian

• View Profile
Racing League
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2008, 19:12:53 PM »
Hi Keith,
Try ; www.fai.org/aeromodelling/documents/sc4
All the sections are down in the middle of the page.
See F3 Soaring competitions and click on 'FAI' opposite that not Belgium.
All there.

Brian
Serious Power

Fred

• Slope Soaring is not a crime!
  • Administrator
  • Gliderist Simplex
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gliderireland.net
Racing League
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2008, 22:40:27 PM »
Hi Keith,

F3F, is slope soaring race, on a 1km race, 10 laps of 100 metres. You race between 2 poles 100 m apart.
F3J, is thermal flight (on flat field)
Then, you also have F3I, F3B etc etc... You can check the FAI website as suggested by Fernando if you want to know more.
Lots of categories, but for gliders, that's pretty much it ! (well, add HLG to the list!)

Anyway, to answer your question, yes, you can participate with any models you like !  :D
So, you can race with your Zagi in the foamy class, and the Philip or even your Spirit in the Open class !
Most important is to participate !  :D  And be regular !
Education is important, but flying RC planes and gliders is importanter!