Author Topic: Cabin fever anyone ?  (Read 37769 times)

Alan_Perse

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
Cabin fever anyone ?
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2010, 19:06:13 PM »
Just saw it too. I hope at least one road is accesable, because they said it could take months to fix them. That means we may not be able to get to Mt Leinster for months  :(  :(  :(. You'll have to be our scout Keith. Any info?

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
Cabin fever anyone ?
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2010, 19:36:01 PM »
Yes, I saw those reports on the news this evening. :(

I haven’t attempted to go up to Mt. L. since before xmas because of the snow, ( of which there is still some up at the very top which I can see from where I live,) and low cloud.

For the next few days the winds are due to be from an easterly direction which is not much use for flying off Big L. But on Friday westerly breezes are forecast, so I might take my old jeep :roll:  and venture up to the west slope.

I’ll have a good scout around to establish which of the two access roads are usable for normal vehicles and report back on this thread.

On the news report that I saw, on RTE 6-1, the road shown as unusable was the road leading up from the Borris Road  (Kiltealy) side on the mountain. That’s the one I normally use.
By not showing the road from the Bunclody side might mean that that one is still usable. (I would think there has to be reasonable access on one of the roads, for the workers at the tv transmitter to be able to use :) )

Like I said, I’ll let you know what the state of both roads are as soon as I know.

Keith
Try not to run out of airspeed, altitude and ideas....... all at the same time.

DennisZ

• View Profile
Cabin fever anyone ?
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2010, 23:40:52 PM »
Quote from: "Fred"
:?:  Just saw on the news that the roads going to Mt L are destroyed !

Fred, have you got a chance to visit Kilakee last w.end ?
How does R115 look like these days ?

IceWind

• View Profile
    • http://icewind.no.sapo.pt
Cabin fever anyone ?
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2010, 21:14:20 PM »
Hey everyone!

Don't tell me I'm actually the one that managed to fly for the past 1 and 1/2 months! :D
While spending the christmas time in Portugal and everytime it stopped raining and sometime even waiting inside he car for it to stop I manged to fly.
Need to share some videos.

I was thinking that a nice fresh air and quietness from the Irish mountains would do me ok.
I was wondering if next weekend the weather was going to be ok to do that.
But with damaged roads..  despite I like nice off-road trails. :D
..Nando

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
Cabin fever anyone ?
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2010, 14:15:27 PM »
Right, the good news is that the roads up to Mt. L. are passable. :D

I travelled up the road from Bunclody to Nine Stones this afternoon, and although the road shows clear signs of distress in places, any average domestic car could navigate the sections of pot holes and small areas of subsidence. :)

In addition, the road from the Kiltealy/Borris road up to Nine Stones is also usable. :)

So we have full use of the slopes guys. Hoorrar! :clap:

(Believe it or not, there is still quite a few cms. of snow in the shaded areas of the mountain )

Did I get any flying in today? NO!…..no wind. It’s been nearly three months now since I’ve enjoyed any “action” on the slopes.
I guess I’ll just have to look forward to some action in the bedroom. (Well,……….it helps to pass the time. :wink: )

K.

billscottni

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nimsa.co.uk ; www.billscott.org.uk
Cabin fever anyone ?
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2010, 14:41:30 PM »
Tharts good news Keith. John and I intedn to get down a fe wtimes this year, so good to know we can get to the hil.
re Bedroom action.....................Don't let the wife know your building on her bdecovers :twisted:

joe

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.islandsloperebels.com
Cabin fever anyone ?
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2010, 16:16:56 PM »
Flying in your bedroom now!! :shock:  :shock:
You must need a very small one for that! :wink:

Good news on the road front. Been a very long time since I've been up there.  :cry:  :!:

Thanks for checking it out Keith  :clap:  :clap:

Alan_Perse

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
Cabin fever anyone ?
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2010, 17:22:32 PM »
Thats great Keith  :D  :D. Thanks. If the weather is good next weekend I might try get get up there and finally get the k8 flying.

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
Cabin fever anyone ?
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2010, 17:51:54 PM »
Building and flying model aircraft in the bedroom is not quite what I was thinking of. :roll:  
(What sheltered lives you guys have lead……..The pair of you really ought to get out more!)

As for next weekend,…………… I’d like to think we might get up there.

The mountain has been plagued with low cloud for weeks at a time, or, like today, clear skies but no wind! It’s really frustrating.
As you say Alan, may be next weekend you’ll get a chance to put your K8 through it’s paces. :D
Saturday is looking good at the moment in terms of wind but there’s also low cloud/showers forecast for the afternoon. As always, we’ll have to wait and see. :!:

Are you in Ireland Joe, or are you still ‘earning a crust’ travelling?

K.

Peter

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
Cabin fever anyone ?
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2010, 20:32:42 PM »
Good to hear Mount Leinster is still accessible.  I tried Kilakee last weekend - but the road was still blocked by thick snow drifts so gave up.  Tried again yesterday - road now open but still m-thick banks of snow piled beside the road.  Unfortunately although there was a light NW breeze, fog was condensing as the breeze met the mountain.  Travelled down to cloud base on the lower road and spent a half hour flying close and low in the mist which came an went.  A small fix.  Roll on spring-time.

Got caught out by the Airtraffic Controller's strike during the week and had to transit via Paris CdeG - where I got to see an A380 take off.  Now that is some sight!!

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
Cabin fever anyone ?
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2010, 17:31:34 PM »
When the mother of my kids was pregnant with our first child we both spent the last few months of the pregnancy on “tender hooks.” Any slight twinge, any uncomfortable feeling, any movement by the baby sent us scurrying to the phone, to call the hospital and tell them that we were on our way.

These days, every few hours I search the weather forecasters web pages looking to see if any of them are predicting a chance that Mt. Lienster. will be flyable. :(

I constantly stare at the skies over the Mountain to see if there is any break in the cloud cover. I strain my eyes in the hopes that the prevailing winds will bring a clear section of sky towards the slopes. All to no avail.
 :(  :(

Then, this afternoon, I saw patches of clear sky over the mountain. I checked the wind speed, 20Kmh., that’ll do! :D  (Just)

OOOOO! It was such a wonderful feeling. Back on the slope, with a glider in the air and the wind in my face.
For me there’s nothing more therapeutic. :D  :D (Well, almost)

Not the best lift I’ve ever had on the north slope. The wind was slightly to the west. And it was a bit,……er…..how shall I put it……CHILLY. Especially with snow still around. But Boy did it feel good!

The Phase 6 and Skua put in a passable performance, and the car’s heater provided one of life’s little comforts between flights.

I'll be BACK!!

billscottni

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nimsa.co.uk ; www.billscott.org.uk
Us too!!!!!!
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2010, 18:02:18 PM »
We got out too!! But a bit more snow than you! :shock:

A good days flying in -4C with 12 - 15mph wind from Santa in the North

John's DG is now flying well after he sorted the tail incidence and he got the little MB339 flying, although the wind was a bit low.

Just to prove the Fiu is a parcel shelf model

Alan_Perse

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
Cabin fever anyone ?
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2010, 18:38:59 PM »
Some nice pictures Bill.

Hey Keith. What time were you up at Mt Leinster. I was there at around 2.30pm. Unfortunately I was not there for long because this happened.

OOPS

Now I have nothing to fly, except the K8 which is ready to Fly again.

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
Cabin fever anyone ?
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2010, 19:28:30 PM »
OH! :cry:  That’s a pity Alan. What happened? Not another radio problem again!? :?  (Had you done a range check before you flew?)

Er…to answer your question I was at Big L from 1 till 3.30pm Can’t understand how we didn’t meet? :?:  I was on the north slope for most of the time although I did try the west slope at about 1.30 but found the lift very patchy. So I returned to Nine Stones.

……………………………….............

Well done Bill and John for braving the weather. :clap:  Bare hands in sub zero temperatures John!!!!! I’m very impressed. :P

And Peter got out last weekend, well done you. :clap:

It seems gradually we are all making our way out onto the slopes again.

(I texted Fred when I was on the slope. Told him I was having a great time. He texted me back saying he was ill and stuck indoors. Poor chap. :()

Alan_Perse

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
Cabin fever anyone ?
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2010, 20:01:43 PM »
I was on the west slope. The wind was almost blowing directly onto it when I was there. Did not think of going up to the nine stones. I had a feeling that there may have been someone flying up there. I could see some people on the slope.
There was no radio problem with my model. I was coming to land and the model was only about a meter off the ground with the wings level. Then I'm not sure if it was a control input from me or a sudden gust of wind but the model suddenly turned and the left wingtip hit the ground and the model cartwheeled resulting in what you see in the pictures. That west slope can certainly create a lot of turbulence.