Author Topic: Vector III slope glider  (Read 17617 times)

Eiretime

• View Profile
Vector III slope glider
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2010, 21:50:23 PM »
Hey Richard,
Did you get some ballast in her yet? All these Veccy flying reports are making me so envious, might hold out on getting another till James Hammond gets going again :D  Thanks for the report on Binevenagh, will hopfully get ther some day.

ed

Richard Boyd

• View Profile
Vector III slope glider
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2010, 22:59:32 PM »
Hi Ed, Im waiting for the big winds before I add ballast. I have only flown the vector in winds up to 30mph and donot think ballast is needed. On the flip side ,tonight the winds dropped of to 8mph and I was still able to fly her and perform some rolls and stall turns, half pipes are simple to perform in light winds, James Hammond really has developed a great plane. Early produced planes had a few problems. Now these have been addressed and my build was straight forward and the carbon pushrods were perfect.
There is only one thing that I would change with the manufacture of the plane , and that is the ballast tube and formers. I think it would be more owner friendly if they were installed during production.
Ed you are welcome up any time ! Weather permitting I will meet up with you and we can get in some flying.
If your mode 1 , then I will only be to glad to give you a starr with the sticks. you will be amazed.

Andrew, there was a young couple snogging at the mountain car park. I came of the slope with a bigger smile on my face than the young lad had on his !
I love this plane big time !

Richard
Richard Boyd
A bad days flying is better than a good days work.

Eiretime

• View Profile
Vector III slope glider
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2010, 23:15:31 PM »
Yeah,
Installing the ballast tube was a bit of a pain though it was my first mouldie build. I would agree it would make life much easier if they installed the ballast tube during manufacture would also make it a little stronger no? Thanks for the offer on some stick time but im mode 2 :cry:
Plenty of time for ballast but you will be me amazed how much she can carry in such light conditions. I was generally flying three quarters ballast most of the time as far as i can remember. The one thing i can remember is there was never any wing flex with this puppy didnt matter how many G`s you were pulling :D
Any good flying spots between Dublin and Dungannon? Heading there on Saturday morning for the weekend to see a mate

ed

JohnPearson

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
Vector III slope glider
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2010, 23:30:50 PM »
Hi guys

Flew the vector 3 just before i went on hols, and the word is WOW !!!!!!!!!! what a f*!"ing great glider. 'Sorry' that's the only way to say it, this  speed machine is brillant, rolls, inverted, loops, low high, high speed passes just out of this world and I still need to ajust the C of G for better flight LOL.
Only down side to the test flight, was that I damaged the fuslage on landing, the only big stone on the slope, and I hit it! however the glider will be repaired and back in the air soon!!

johnp

andrew wallace

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bmfc.btinternet.co.uk
Vector III slope glider
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2010, 08:11:43 AM »
hi richard
some photo's from the other night

model is a 3m raven and photo's taken by uncle robert
your right about the big smile hard to keep it off your face  :D
i\'m an ordinary man nothing special nothing grand

Richard Boyd

• View Profile
Vector III slope glider
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2010, 08:13:32 AM »
Hi John, great your back from your hols ! get that Vector repaired  :clap:

Hi Ed, I only know of one flyable slope near Newry and that needs an easterly wind. Winds are forcast from the North all weekend.
John P may know of a site in the Cooly Mountains ! Come on John help us out.

Here is a few snaps I took of the Portrush airshow last year 2009.
On the friday evening I was flying on Binevenagh and then was disturbed by some larger gliders. These are at the start of the video.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/v/tTIQnWBFBo8&feature=fvsr[/youtube]
Richard Boyd

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
Vector III slope glider
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2010, 21:01:57 PM »
Well, it seems you guys are all definitely “Vector’ed” ! :lol:  Don’t you just love it when a plan comes together? 8)

I find speed and aerobatics are very addictive,……I wonder how long it will be before you start casting your eyes for a replacement to the Vector. But that’s all part of the fun, aint it! :wink:

Keep up the good work. :clap:

May the wind blow strong, and the lift be infinite! :D

Keith
Try not to run out of airspeed, altitude and ideas....... all at the same time.

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
Vector III slope glider
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2010, 09:58:49 AM »
Hey Mr. Richard (Spielberg) Boyd, you recon that was a “few” snaps of Portrush? :shock:  I made it around 180!

A surprising video, it matched nicely to the sound score and made a pleasant change from the little dots/poorly focused models of most movies.

Good on y’ sport! :clap:

K.

Richard Boyd

• View Profile
Ballast required
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2010, 20:39:05 PM »
Today I was passing the mountain and decided to call up and have a wee flight.
To my amazement winds were gusting to  64 mph and blowing a steady 57 mph.
Thats 103 kmph steady 92 Kmph  for the metrics.
Hells bells what an experience to fly the vector backwards !
I had no ballast with me, and it frightened the pants of me lol
Ed would of been in Heaven with his DS pace glider as she would have been totally awesome in these high winds.
I set the Vectors CG back another 5 mm and the elevator response is now just how I like it ''sensitive''. I only manage one roll as I WAS HANGING ON FOR GRIM DEATH ! I did a loop and again I ended up in a very strange position. Pure luck got me back to a level controlled fright path.
I only had 2 flights and then decided it was home time with the Vector in one piece.

What a day ! and the Vector survives.

Richard
Richard Boyd

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
Vector III slope glider
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2010, 22:12:36 PM »
You’re a man after my own heart Richard. :clap:

100Km/h is the top limit I’ve ever flown in. It’s very exhilarating and things happen VERY quickly don’t they. :twisted:  You can put the model way out in front of you, and in a blink of the eye she’s back over your head! :(

The down side of high wind flying, (in my opinion)
A/ Possible damage to models.
B/  Flying in slower winds afterwards seems rather tame.

Well done for getting the Vector down in one piece. And well done for having the guts to give it a try! :clap:

Roll on the autumn gales 8)

Eiretime

• View Profile
Vector III slope glider
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2010, 08:26:46 AM »
Balls of Steel, Good man Richard :D I laughed when i saw your post. How many times have we all been in conditions which are risky, you know this is probably a really bad idea but the blood is pumping, it`s to late you`ve thrown it up already! Wow what a buzz, Brilliant  :clap:

ed