Author Topic: Mini Gathering on the Big L. (7th Sept)  (Read 9352 times)

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
Mini Gathering on the Big L. (7th Sept)
« on: September 10, 2013, 22:17:11 PM »
Well, not to be outdone by all this gliding activity, we lads in the Sunny South East spent a eventful Saturday afternoon last weekend. :D

The venue of course was the Big L with winds of around 20 gusting 35Kph coming pretty much straight on to the West slope, (13.00h) although they backed to South West from about 15.00h

Stephen, his son Tom, Big Keith & myself arrived at the slope to be met by rain. :cry:  In fact the rain hardly stopped for the afternoon but most of the time it was just a few drops of water. But we Liensterites (If there is such a noun :?  ) are a hardy bunch. We ignored the moisture and flew anyway! :P

Here’s Stephen, myself and young Tom off to the slope. The cameraman had been on the drink the previous night so he was a bit slow off the mark. He only got the shots of our backs.

Here is Stephen wearing an almost ear-to-ear grin while brandishing his newly completed Skua. He was looking forward to maidening it.

Er,……that’s when things started to go wrong. After first launch, or should I say ‘first throw’ this is how the Skua looked.

However, once it got airborne it put in a stonking performance! Completely out flying Big Keith’s Zagi and my Skua. How disingenuous can a person be? I’d spent ages during the past couple of months answering emails and phone calls, advising Stephen on how best to assemble this wing, and then he goes and produces a model with such outrageous performance!

(Big Keith & I have decided that in future, if Stephen shows up on the slope while we are there, we’ll move off to a different part of the slope!) (But we haven’t told Stephen that yet)

Here’s a couple of snaps of Big Keith’s Zagi

Although there aren’t any pictures of him, Young Tom (10 years old) was so excited by all that was going on that he asked to have a go. :D  Fortunately a buddy box was found and he certainly enjoyed putting us ‘old-erns’ to shame :(  by showing us how quickly he could learn. 8)  Having never flown an aero model before he was flying my Skua for up to two minutes without any input from me by his third attempt. :clap:
(That’s the trouble with ‘Youth',…..It’s so wasted on the young! :evil: )

After tea and refreshments, kindly donated by Big Keith, I assembled my P6 and Big Keith assembled his MiJet. Alas, the numpty hadn’t checked the battery before launching the model and………………..Yup! You guessed it,…..the MiJet ended up in the trees! (Where else?) :roll:

We managed to get it down by Stephen very courageously climbing up the tree, all-be-it that he fell the last three feet when descending the tree. Much to our delight, (he ended up on his arse) and his dismay.

Finally to round off this little tale, here’s a couple of pictures of an old friend. Do you recognize it Fred?

YES! you cleaver man,..it's your old "Flat V tail Thingy!" :wink:  Now in the ownership of Big Keith. It gets around that plane doesn't it! :lol:

Keith (Little)
Try not to run out of airspeed, altitude and ideas....... all at the same time.

johnfireball

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2013, 22:27:09 PM »
Well done Keith and co. Any pics of Fred wielding his cleaver?
John.
I have the body of an 18 year old.........I keep it in the freezer

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2013, 22:32:05 PM »
Quote from: "johnfireball"
John.

Er :? .not sure what you are talking about John. Fred wasn't with us :?:

Keith (Little)

stephen.shannon

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2013, 23:10:58 PM »
It has to be said what a great day was had. Big thanks to little keith for the input on the skua build, it's a little duzzy and I'm delighted with it...  :lol:

It took a bashing alright but it's sorted now and ready for its first flight in Meath next weekend  :?: .... Watch this space....

Keith an even bigger thanks for taking Tom aside and showing him how to fly... He's not stopped talking about it and now wants a zagi for Christmas  :D ill post a photo tomorrow
Our deepest fear is not that we are weak but that we are powerful beyond measure..... Marianne Williamson

Keith

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2013, 00:19:56 AM »
Hi lads ...yeah it was good craic a good day had by all
Again thanks stephen for climbing the tree for the mijet you saved a lot of time and poking with the big stick  :D   :D
I have the mijet sorted and back flying i had it up on big L today. i also had the 'old reliable' zagi too  :D  :D (you thought when i said 'old reliable' that i was talking about little keith didnt you)   :D  :)

Fred

• Slope Soaring is not a crime!
  • Administrator
  • Gliderist Simplex
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gliderireland.net
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2013, 07:43:02 AM »
Very good guys!  :clap:  :clap:

So the flat V tail thingy is back in the air?!  That thing have a very hard life! Cracking machine! Must be 30 years old, and still flying  :clap:  :clap:
Education is important, but flying RC planes and gliders is importanter!

Fred

• Slope Soaring is not a crime!
  • Administrator
  • Gliderist Simplex
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gliderireland.net
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2013, 07:44:11 AM »
Quote from: "johnfireball"
John.

Hey John, was not at Big L... We were flying together at kilakee!  :P
Education is important, but flying RC planes and gliders is importanter!

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2013, 09:09:17 AM »
Quote from: "Keith"
(you thought when i said 'old reliable' that i was talking about little keith didnt you)   :D  :)

:evil:  

Big Keith has now been struck off my Christmas card list!

K.

stephen.shannon

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2013, 13:42:13 PM »

Young Tom Shannon on his first flight. Massive thanks to Guru Keith for letting the little guy have a go....
Our deepest fear is not that we are weak but that we are powerful beyond measure..... Marianne Williamson

stephen.shannon

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2013, 14:18:55 PM »

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2013, 19:18:59 PM »
Not so sure about the reference to “Guru”  but I’m glad Tom enjoyed his first foray into the world of aero modelling.

Of course, if he gets his own model, (Zagi) he’ll need his own Tx as well. Has Santa taken that into consideration I wonder? :wink:  

Okay on the video. Like I said to you. You built it and then you flew it. Well done You! :clap:

(Little) Keith