Author Topic: Flying at Lacken, Co. Wicklow  (Read 15424 times)

Alan_Perse

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
Flying at Lacken, Co. Wicklow
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2011, 21:17:42 PM »
Hi Fergal. I hope to be there.

Fred

• Slope Soaring is not a crime!
  • Administrator
  • Gliderist Simplex
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gliderireland.net
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2011, 14:07:52 PM »
Sorry, could not be there  :!:
Did you had some good flying ?
Education is important, but flying RC planes and gliders is importanter!

Fergal Gordon

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2011, 14:58:08 PM »
Hi Fred,

You missed nothing, the wind was modest and the lift was not not great.  It was bumpy with the occasional sink.

I was trying my RCRCM Typhoon with the CG a little further back.  I think I over cooked the change in CG.  It flew OK, however the Typhoon response to the turbulence was more extreme with the CG moved back.  Not nice flying.  I flew for about 10 minutes but then a sink forced me to land.  Of course, I would find that little hidden rock in the heather and undid by repair to the nose.

I taped it up, moved the CG back to where it was and got another 30 minutes flying with the Typhoon.  The wind dropped and it was time to try my floater.

So you missed nothing.

We must organise a fly-in at Lacken sometime.  Hopefully, when the wind is blowing strong from the west.

Best regards,

Fergal

Fred

• Slope Soaring is not a crime!
  • Administrator
  • Gliderist Simplex
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gliderireland.net
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2011, 12:42:06 PM »
Hi Fergal,

Thanks for the mini report  :D

Well, at least, you had almost an hour flying time  :clap:

Ok, so now, stupid question, full of shame... but how do you go to Lacken ?
I know where it is, but actually never been there, as fo SW winds, I go to Glencree.

What wind direction can you fly there ?

Also, any photos of the slope for the mini slope database ?

Fred
Education is important, but flying RC planes and gliders is importanter!

Fergal Gordon

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2011, 21:10:20 PM »
Hi Fred,

Sorry for not getting back sooner, I was out of the county for a few days.

Firstly, you will find the Lacken flying site at Lacken 53.13814 N, 6.441808 W.  Try Google maps.  It is a saddle between two hills and we fly off the west facing side.  There is a car park at the top of the saddle.

You get to Lacken form Blessington, about 10 km.  Again I suggest Google maps for details.

The flying site is a horse shoe shaped valley, generally facing WSW.  Winds ranging from NW all the way around to S can be accommodated by moving around the valley.  The main flying area, near the car park is ideal for the prevailing winds, W and SW.  Here there is a reasonably flat area out of the lift for landing.  You need to plan your landings in advance to avoid the odd rock.

For southerly winds you need to go back down the road and fly off the south facing side of the valley.  You fly from the side of the road.  There is no flat area here as the slope continues up the other side of the road, so landing is a bit more tricky here.  However, there are areas of long growth so you can usually find a nice place to land.

NW winds require a 15 minute walk across the heather to the far side of the valley.  This is the steepest slope and there can be nice flying here.  The is no flat area but the slope is covered in a thick covering of heather and cross wind landings are usually OK.

Here are some photos from my cheap camera phone.  I will get some better photos the next time I am at Lacken.

SW slope with the car park in the background:

NW slope with Pawel and Ed:

As regards Glencree, this is an east facing slope, suitable for NE to SE.  How do you manage to fly SW winds there?

Best regards,

Fergal

David Kelly

• View Profile
Flying at Lacken Sun 26 June
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2011, 21:57:37 PM »
Hi all,
Anyone interested in flying at Lacken tomorrow. Am meeting Fergal at the slope for about 3 o clock. Location in Fergal's previous post.

David

David Kelly

• View Profile
Sunday at Lacken
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2011, 21:52:47 PM »
Beautiful day at Lacken this Sunday. Wind was tad strong for what I brought along but Fergal & Pablo (hope I have that right) both got in some good flying. Fergal has the 2m Typhoon and Pablo has something he built himself which flys incredibly well.

Wind slackened about 6.30 and got in about an hour with the floaters.

Some photos of day at Lacken. Have some camera video footage which I might post when I figure out how to upload (Fred?).

Alan_Perse

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2011, 10:10:19 AM »
Dame I wish I could have made it. Had to go somewhere else.

Fergal Gordon

• View Profile
Tuesday evening, 5 July
« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2011, 20:59:31 PM »
Hi Everyone,

Some nice southerly wind tomorrow, 25 km/h.  I am hoping the rain will have blown over by tomorrow evening.  I am packing my Typhoon into the car in the hope of heading straight to Lacken after work.  Hope the weather is kind and to see some of you there.

Regards,

Fergal