Author Topic: mount leinster 14th,15th May......so who is going?  (Read 27616 times)

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
mount leinster 14th,15th May......so who is going?
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2011, 00:31:51 AM »
What a great time. Thanks to all who made it. Bit wet on the Saturday with showers every hour or so :roll: , but we still got some good flying in.
Commiserations to Chris who’s plane ended up in the trees canopy. :cry:  Most of us have either done that, or come close to doing it, haven’t we.

Sunday there was no rain, but low cloud to start. But we flew for almost all of the day. :D

I took an old little stills camera with me on the Sunday and recorded the following footage. Not very clear but just about watch able I think :wink: . It only shows a few of the pilots who where present. (It doesn’t have a very big memory, so couldn’t record all who where there.)

JP presented himself in usual fine form from the north. Chris’s brother, Joe flew a fine glass covered Phase 6. (It looks a lot better condition than mine I have to say. :!: )
Of course “our” Joe was there also, showing us all up with his normal display of expertise. A new pilot in the making, Darren joined us and took the sticks of his new Radian for the first time. Well done Darren! :clap:  
On Sunday we were joined by Peter, Alan, Les, Ralph, Dave, Ger, Fergal and a couple of other pilots who’s names escape me at the present. Welcome back to the slope lads 8) . It seems we also have another potential pilot thinking of joining us in the form of local lad Graham. He couldn’t stay on Sunday as he was just passing with the wife and kids in tow. But he says, “I’ll be back.” :D

Now, let me see……can I remember how to link in this video from Vimeo :?:
[youtube]http://www.vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=23772693[/youtube]

Keith
Try not to run out of airspeed, altitude and ideas....... all at the same time.

Richard Boyd

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2011, 10:34:35 AM »
Quote from: "Happy Days"
What a great time. Thanks to all who made it. Bit wet on the Saturday with showers every hour or so :roll: , but we still got some good flying in.
Commiserations to Chris who’s plane ended up in the trees canopy. :cry:  Most of us have either done that, or come close to doing it, haven’t we.

Sunday there was no rain, but low cloud to start. But we flew for almost all of the day. :D

I took an old little stills camera with me on the Sunday and recorded the following footage. Not very clear but just about watch able I think :wink: . It only shows a few of the pilots who where present. (It doesn’t have a very big memory, so couldn’t record all who where there.)

JP presented himself in usual fine form from the north. Chris’s brother, Joe flew a fine glass covered Phase 6. (It looks a lot better condition than mine I have to say. :!: )
Of course “our” Joe was there also, showing us all up with his normal display of expertise. A new pilot in the making, Darren joined us and took the sticks of his new Radian for the first time. Well done Darren! :clap:  
On Sunday we were joined by Peter, Alan, Les, Ralph, Dave, Ger, Fergal and a couple of other pilots who’s names escape me at the present. Welcome back to the slope lads 8) . It seems we also have another potential pilot thinking of joining us in the form of local lad Graham. He couldn’t stay on Sunday as he was just passing with the wife and kids in tow. But he says, “I’ll be back.” :D

Now, let me see……can I remember how to link in this video from Vimeo :?:
[youtube]http://www.vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=23772693[/youtube]

Keith

Loved the video !
The music had me dancing while the tears ran down my cheeks with laughter.
Fantastic !
Richard Boyd
A bad days flying is better than a good days work.

DaveMc

• View Profile
    • http://uk.geocities.com/dave72ie/
« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2011, 11:25:28 AM »
Fun day out lads,

Cheers all.. Nice Vid Kieth.

D.
At least we walk towards our crashes and not run screaming from them ;)

JohnPearson

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2011, 13:01:59 PM »
Hi Lads

Thanks for a great weekend, great flying with good friends. Keith your video is the best one yet, produced so far from the new wexford studio and I am sure Icelandair's PR department, will have quite a few comments from their last set of passangers on the 787 flight to Ireland, well, we had the french ground crew union rep on strike again on take off :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Highlight of my weekend, had to be Davemac's big 4m Fox, what a fantastic plane and looked so real in the air!

look forward to the next event.

'O Yes' sorry but I have no photos to post, I was to busy flying and forgot to take any :oops:

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2011, 14:49:00 PM »
Glad you liked the vid lads. I kinda had to make the story up as I went along :? .

Fergal, you said you were going to get a Phase 6. I’ve made a list of modifications which I use and posted them on this forum under the heading of "Techniques" and "Topic" of “How to…”

I shall expect to see your ‘6 flying at the next event :clap: . Please don’t let me down! :lol:

I’m sure I saw Fred brandishing a camera at the weekend 8) . Comon Fred, share the picies!! PLEASE :wink:

K.

gerryb

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2011, 16:10:40 PM »
adding my thanks to everyone's for a great day out yesterday. physically, i was in the car driving home. mentally, i was still back on the hill enjoying the flying and the banter! hope to see ye all on tountinna 11th june. gb

Alan_Perse

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 16, 2011, 16:46:31 PM »
Thanks for the great days flying lads. Looking forward to the next meeting.

joe

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.islandsloperebels.com
« Reply #37 on: May 16, 2011, 20:14:15 PM »
Great days flying on Saturday. Shame I missed Sunday. Hello to all. Nice to see ye all and sorry i missed ye all on Sunday. See ya next time.
 :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  8)  8)

Fred

• Slope Soaring is not a crime!
  • Administrator
  • Gliderist Simplex
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gliderireland.net
« Reply #38 on: May 17, 2011, 10:49:23 AM »
Hi there,

Sorry for the very late post, had to deal with some emrgencies at work since Sunday night!  :!:

Once again, thanks to all of you for coming  :clap: Great people, great slope and epic lift do make a real good mix for one of the best week end we had this year!

The showers did not stopped us to fly on Saturday (we are real hard core slopers or what!?), and even if the weather was not looking too good for Sunday, all finally lifted at around 10.30, and all was set for another great day.

Some great display from the Shannon guys (no buns though... So went to plan B and brought some nice models to keep us distracted!), Ralph with the Kulbutin, JP with a passenger jet when not doing bombing runs, Fergal with his Typhoon, Peter, Jim, Chris (sorry for the glider  :!: but at least, we know where it is, so we'll keep an eye on it!) and other pilots (sorry, not too good with names  :oops: )

I have a few photos (not much sorry, ran out of batteries  :oops: ) and no videos from me (thanks Keith for the video  :clap: ).
On another note, for me, as Bono once said : "...And I stiiiiillll haven't found, what I'm looking fooooorrrr...." Start to stress now at this stage!  :!:  :?

Anyway, time for some photos!

Saturday, setup a tent to wait for the showers to go through.

On Sunday, Ralph was thinking we were in summer! Fool! Time to gear up and stack the layers!  :P

Dave 4m Fox

John's 3m Fox. That thing fly and looks great! Makes you re-think about the cheapo Chinese stuff! That one definitively worth a look at!

Education is important, but flying RC planes and gliders is importanter!

Fred

• Administrator
  • Gliderist Simplex
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 17, 2011, 10:52:20 AM »
More!!

More to come from my phone!  :oops:  (John Boeing etc...)

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 17, 2011, 13:06:17 PM »
Good Man Fred. There are some nice, clear, in-flight photos there :D . Well done that man!

Thanks for posting them :clap:

K.

gerryb

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 17, 2011, 21:11:05 PM »
thanks for the photos fred. a little bit too clear methinks keith! i hate to see scale models sail by with huge canopies and no one in the cockpit. terrible! what d'you think dave, ralph? will we make a bit of an effort to 'occupy the office'? even jim's profile of himself in the k8 is better than an empty cockpit. now, where's the camera?

Fred

• Administrator
  • Gliderist Simplex
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 18, 2011, 07:53:13 AM »
Ok, more photos.. From the phone, sorry for the bad quality!  :oops:

Real or what?! JP Airliner...

Boys in the wood... Looking for Chris' glider...

It's here somewhere...

Look closer! (wings are yellow...)

Dave Pik 20 just before touch down...

Impact! Nothing broken. Re-clip the rudder, and off you go again  :D

rogallo

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 18, 2011, 13:55:05 PM »
Fred,
 thanks for a great days flying, Yes I do think scale models should have pilots but mine often go on strike due to the other pilots flying :oops:

Ralph
Spots or no Spots?
Tuff Choice.

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 22, 2011, 15:04:03 PM »
As a final piece of news from last weekend…………. :D

I was up on the west slope of Big L. today.......... Very windy, in fact almost too windy, couldn’t launch the models :!: …..had to wait for a lull, then launch and quickly get the models out and away from the turbulence created by the  top of the slope :? .
I found it very demanding flying but surprisingly (for me) nothing got broken. :)  Maybe I’m finally getting the knack of this flying lark. 8)

But anyway, a really good thing today was that Chris’s Stargazer fell out of the tree that had been holding it captive this past week. :clap:
Slightly damaged and soaked through, it actually looks in not bad nick considering what weather it’s endured this past week.
So Chris is a happy chappie! :D

Keith