Author Topic: Tcoptor  (Read 18365 times)

Richard Boyd

• View Profile
Tcoptor
« on: June 06, 2011, 08:26:59 AM »
Hi all, well I have made a first step toward FPV by building a Tcoptor.
I have had only 2 flights in windy conditions, resulting in  2 crashe    :shock:
This incoming week looks like it will be calm so I intend to do abit of practise flying and try and get used to coptor flying.

[/img]
Richard Boyd
A bad days flying is better than a good days work.

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
Tcoptor
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2011, 08:56:57 AM »
HHMMmmm is that made from an experienced ‘copter design, or a Boyd special? 8)  (This looks about right so I’ll give it a try)

In my ignorance I would have thought, if your only going to use three motors, that the arms 'should' have been spaced at 60degree to each other.
Why did you choose a ‘T’ configuration Richard?

K.
Try not to run out of airspeed, altitude and ideas....... all at the same time.

Richard Boyd

• View Profile
Tcoptor
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2011, 09:22:47 AM »
Hi Keith , this is not my design, the motors are 120 degrees spacing from each other.
I have tweeked my setup abit to try and make the coptor steady in flight.
I used higher KV motors swinging smaller 8x4 DD props.
The frame cost £4 to build , I am getting like my Scotch friend  :lol:
I decided on a T coptor as I wanted some nice video shots with no motors showing.
I never flew a heli before and I understand zero things about helis.
I originally bought a controller from HobbyKing but it was fautly !!!!!!!!!
Still waiting a refund, which I will probably never get.
I then contact a guy named Jussi from Viacoptor, http://www.viacopter.eu/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=8&Itemid=53
Jussi gave me loads of advice and help.
What a difference between the chineese robbers and the EU small business's.
Jussi has some new products coming out soon !
I will be support him with my money.
Richard Boyd

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
Tcoptor
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2011, 09:58:10 AM »
Oh,……..well I’m only an Englishman so it all seems a bit technical to me. :roll:

( I never quite got to grips with trigonometry. :(  )
Can’t figure out how the motors can be 120 degrees from each other and yet  the ‘copter have a ‘T’ configuration. :?:
(I know in my last posting I suggested 60 degrees,…..but I meant 120, silly me! :D )

Anyway, good luck Richard! :clap:

B.T.W. What are you intending to film,…………sunbathing beauties in their back gardens perhaps 8) ……you naughty man you :wink: !!

Keith

Richard Boyd

• View Profile
Tcoptor
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2011, 10:23:01 AM »
How did you guess what I wanted to film  :clap:
There is no keeping secrets when your around Mr. Keith

I now need to buy a new PC as my desktop is showing just frame by frame when I am editing video.
Anyone got good specs for a home build PC for editing using sony vega HD ?
Richard Boyd

IceWind

• View Profile
    • http://icewind.no.sapo.pt
Tcoptor
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2011, 15:15:22 PM »
Hi Richard,

Correct me If I'm wrong but you seem to be using a controller board based on the KKapteinKuk's design on that t-copter.
Despite it may be a interesting board for normal flying and some acrobatics it may be a bot tricky for FPV.
The reason is that you'll want (at least on the beginning) some auto-level features and for that it needs accelerometers.

Almost all of the people I know doing FPV with multicopters are using the Multiwii board because of that. I also use it and the tests I've been doing with FPV when perfectly fine (even when inside a car park) due to the high stability of the board and auto-level features.

As for Sony Vegas I'd start with the requirements specs and at least double them:

Vegas Pro 10 system requirements

Microsoft® Windows® XP 32-bit SP3, Windows Vista® 32-bit or 64-bit SP2, or Windows 7 32-bit or 64-bit
    2 GHz processor (multicore or multiprocessor CPU recommended for HD or stereoscopic 3D)
    400 MB hard-disk space for program installation
    1 GB RAM (2 GB recommended)

You'll want lots of RAM. I can't even understand why they say 1GB.... with that unless is XP, not even Windows will runs fine.
..Nando

Richard Boyd

• View Profile
Tcoptor
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2011, 21:50:17 PM »
Hi Nando, yip its a KK controller, I am new to this style of flying. I will invest in a Wii board as I progress. If I ever progress !
For FPV FLYING I intend to fly a plane. First I need to save some ££££. I will be asking you for some guidence when I have the money is in the bank.
No beers for me for a long long time.

Do you use goggles or do you work from a screen ?

This was my first flight with the coptor, thankfully I have improved alittle.
I am enjoying this style of flying below trees etc.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/v/rj7P6IpMs6o[/youtube]
Richard Boyd

JohnPearson

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
Tcoptor
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2011, 12:01:36 PM »
Looks good Richard, should add a new higher standard to your video shoots, well done! :clap:  :clap:

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
Tcoptor
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2011, 18:30:28 PM »
I must say I’m very impressed young Richard! :D  Completely ‘homebrewed’ and a very good flight I’d say 8)

K.

Alan_Perse

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
Tcoptor
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2011, 22:23:23 PM »
Thats pritty cool. Great job.

IceWind

• View Profile
    • http://icewind.no.sapo.pt
Tcoptor
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2011, 23:07:53 PM »
I'd say you're already progressing.
Nice flying you already mastered it. :)

Sorry then, I didn't knew you plan was to do FPV with a plane.

I use goggles, I've been working to hack the MultiWii code to feed sensor data into my OSD to show a Virtual Horizon. That will help to identify the tricopter flying attitude.

Btw, for the owners of the PhoenixRC simulator and that want to try to fly a quadrocopter that is already possible. The last update adds the Gaui 330x.
..Nando

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
Tcoptor
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2011, 11:58:13 AM »
I read an interesting article the other day, (well, I found it interesting anyway) about tri & quad copters. The author recond it was better to have small diameter props rotating quickly, than large props rotating slowly.

His argument was that although small props aren’t as aerodynamically efficient as slow rotating larger props, (and therefore ’waste’ battery power) they have less kinetic energy. Therefore they can slow down or speed up more quickly and offer more immediate response to the pilots input.

Don’t know if that little gem of info is of any interest to you ’copter guys :?: . I thought I’d just throw it into the arena :roll:

K.

Richard Boyd

• View Profile
Tcoptor
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2011, 07:27:58 AM »
Quote from: "IceWind"
I'd say you're already progressing.
Nice flying you already mastered it. :)

Sorry then, I didn't knew you plan was to do FPV with a plane.

I use goggles, I've been working to hack the MultiWii code to feed sensor data into my OSD to show a Virtual Horizon. That will help to identify the tricopter flying attitude.

Btw, for the owners of the PhoenixRC simulator and that want to try to fly a quadrocopter that is already possible. The last update adds the Gaui 330x.

Thanks for info, I need all the help I can get !!!!!!!!!
Richard Boyd

Richard Boyd

• View Profile
Tcoptor
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2011, 07:38:48 AM »
Quote from: "Happy Days"
I read an interesting article the other day, (well, I found it interesting anyway) about tri & quad copters. The author recond it was better to have small diameter props rotating quickly, than large props rotating slowly.

His argument was that although small props aren’t as aerodynamically efficient as slow rotating larger props, (and therefore ’waste’ battery power) they have less kinetic energy. Therefore they can slow down or speed up more quickly and offer more immediate response to the pilots input.

Don’t know if that little gem of info is of any interest to you ’copter guys :?: . I thought I’d just throw it into the arena :roll:

K.

Hi Keith , I used 1100 KV motors with 8x4DD props, the norm in tricoptor would be 750KV-950KV motors with 10" props.
I was working on the theory that this would make my coptor smooth for slower style of flying.
I think it works    :?:
Now for an interesting observation,
I have 7 x 2100 3 cell packs.
The older packs are well used and I get about 3mins flying and then the coptor looses its steadiness, it goes completely out of trim.
When I use a new pack the coptor is rock solid for 6min .
I now need to buy several new packs. broke again
 :wink:
Richard Boyd

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
Tcoptor
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2011, 08:41:30 AM »
It seems you’ve come the same conclusion the author of the article I read did: For better control, small fast props are better than slow large ones.

Re Your older Lipo’s. I’m wondering if, being older and less able to hold their voltage under load, whether  they might be adversely effecting your gyro :?: . (Assuming that you're using a gyro that it.)

These copters are not something I’d be interested in flying myself, but they do seem to offer good camera platforms.
I enjoy reading how you venture is coming along :) .
(In fact I was so impressed with your first attempt I spent yesterday morning re-cutting it to see if I could make any improvements.)(Not sure I did a very good job :oops: )

Good luck with buying 7 new 3S lipos………they aint gonna be cheap! :evil:

K.