Author Topic: I'm drowning, in bits of an Mu28  (Read 34737 times)

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
I'm drowning, in bits of an Mu28
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2011, 08:14:12 AM »
More information! Thanks Ger, Yes I did pick up on what Fred had said about not using the floor, thanks.
Since I’d read that I started looking at our kitchen table. It’s a solid old thing and Mandy goes to England for a week next month :D , so I’d been thinking about using that. (in secret of course) Only problem is that it’s just under 2mtrs. :!:

Thanks for the idea about using a flush door. (BTW. Whilst I can see a vague correlation between flush doors and toilets, a toilet that uses a liquid to transport biological waste by means of a siphon is called a flushing toilet, as a verb,. Not a flush toilet. Oh do shut up Keith! :roll: ……..Okay,) Back to model planes….. I’ll give that matter of using a door some more thought.

As for the obechi, yes you are quite right it was in one of the pictures. I remember ‘Copydex’ glue from years ago. As I recall it has a very pungent smell. Didn’t know they still made it. (Used to be the glue of choice for sticking ‘Formica’ covering to old tables tops and kitchen cupboard doors didn’t it?)  Useful to know that it can be used for covering the wing core. Thanks for that information as well Ger.

This is what I need lads, lots of input……….I have a lust for knowledge.

Keith.
Try not to run out of airspeed, altitude and ideas....... all at the same time.

rogallo

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2011, 09:18:36 AM »
Hi Keith,
  whats "Formica"?
Just kidding, it is the stuff you use on timber when it you wooden engine mount is soggy with glow fuel!

Good luck with the build..
Spots or no Spots?
Tuff Choice.

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2011, 09:23:19 AM »
Never used glow fuel Ralf so I wouldn’t know what you’re talking about!  :?:  

I.C. = old technology. Before my time I’m afraid!!! :?

Keith :lol:

Brian

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2011, 09:31:30 AM »
Hi Keith,
Copydex is ok but it is a contact adhesive - instant in other-words.
For a big wing like that I would advise epoxy or perhaps Icema.
Anyway something to allow you time to align everything so as to get a straight wing.
Bent wings do fly, and all too often, but they do not fly good.
I would also advise doing one skin at a time to help with this.

Brian
Serious Power

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2011, 17:20:52 PM »
:?:  :?: HHHmmmmm Brian,………….
If I might ask you a slightly personal question, :oops:  er; How long is your work bench? :wink:
 (Now there’s a question you don’t get asked every day!!)

Living only 10 or so Km from me……..I was wondering, after we spoke today, if I could borrow your bench just to glue the wings of the Mu. :D

What do you say old fruit?

K.

JohnPearson

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2011, 21:44:21 PM »
Keith my good fellow, looking at the photos  of the wings on your bench, why not add a removable extension onto the end of the work area. This is what I did when I was building the B52 wings, simple and can be taken away when not in use. As for covering the wings, i use copy dex when wing skining. The wings for the Kostez are 1.3m each, after i cut out the foam cores, I will use balsa or veneer to cover the wings ( which ever works out the lowest price) still pricing around.

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2011, 22:08:44 PM »
Hey John, :)
BTW did you and Richard get to go up Slieve Gallion today? I had a great couple of hours up at the Big L. :D

Regarding my work bench: If you look closely at the picie you’ll see a join in it. For various reasons relating to the sleeping arrangements of relatives from UK, (My “workshop” is actually a third bedroom and once a year my son dosses down in there on an air mattress) the work bench has, in effect two levels. One piece of chipboard is at one level, the other dips down ever so slightly, so the total bench length isn’t actually flat.
I did think of taking Ger’s idea and laying an old door across the top. Only prob is I’m not too sure where to get an old STRAIGHT door.

So you’re another Copydex user. It seems to be a very popular glue doesn’t it.
Good luck with the Kostez……I’m hoping Santa will be bring me another ‘beat-up-the-sky model that’s small enough to fit in the car and allow Mandy & me to get up to Slieve Gallion again next summer. (The wine cellar here is beginning to look rather empty. :wink:  Andrew, don‘t loose your Asda staff card!!! :lol: )

Keith

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2011, 21:05:32 PM »
Funnily enough the solution to finding a large FLAT work surface has been staring me (literally) in the face.

The door to the workshop is 2.1Mtrs high (long) x 32cms wide, wooden with a flush flat surface. :)

I’ll just whip it off its hinges and lay it on top of my uneven bench. Then I’ll re-hang it when the wings are finished. Problem solved!

Thank you Mr. Buckley :clap:

gerryb

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
mu28
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2011, 22:38:01 PM »
glad to help keith.....but! beware!!! hanging doors are notorious for being anything but flat. it has to do with temperature/moisture differences each side of the door and of course, crooked door jams.

a way to check for flatness before taking the door down is to stretch a length of chord diagonally across the door, both diagonals at the same time. if the chords touch where they cross then your door is flat. if they don't, then your door is twisted and you're back where you started (but at least you don't have to rehang a twisted door).

gerryb

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2011, 22:41:05 PM »
by the way keith, i assume you meant 32 inches not 32 cm's. terrible the way these young felles keep picking you up on these things!!!

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2011, 07:25:39 AM »
Well of course I meant inches!! :oops:  
(I hate it when people keep correcting others for the slightest little error they make. It’s SO annoying.  :evil: )

By the way Ger,…..What is (or are) “felles”? :?  I can’t find ‘felles’ in the dictionary. :?:

Keith
(I love it when a plan comes together :lol: )

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2011, 09:37:52 AM »
Just tried the diagonal string trick on the door,….it’s perfectly flat :shock: , according to my eyesight anyway.

That’s another little gem to remember. Thank you again Ger. :clap:

K.

gerryb

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2011, 16:00:17 PM »
i see you spotted my deliberate mistake, well done keith.

re tailplane of mu 28, am i wright in saying it's a fixed t/plane with elevators rather than an all-moving t/plane?

if this is so, will you make the t/plane permanently fixed to fin or removable?

some thoughts on both ideas....
permanently fixed......very strong t/plane joint at fin,  option to mount servo close to t/p for short push rod connection, risk of severe damage in hard landing to both t/p and fin.

removeable....not so easy to set up first day (involves wires,tubes, rods) but once mounting tubes/wires/rods are fixed in fin it's easy to fit t/planes ready for flying.  this system very convenient for transport too.  any damage to one t/p half doesn't necessarily mean involving the other half in the repairs. if t/p 1/2s are big enough, a mini servo could be fitted in each 1/2 and connected to rx with y-lead.

keep the thought juices flowing keith,
gb

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2011, 16:27:41 PM »
Well, this is an interesting aspect Ger.

I must confess although I had given some passing thought to the tail, I haven’t really considered it very much so far.
My greatest apprehension is building the wings, and that’s where my thoughts mostly are at this time. However, since you’ve raised the matter………
Here is a copy of the plan I received from Luc of miniplumes. (It's all wirtten in French, but then none of us are perfect!)

Now it looks to me as though it’s a fixed T.P. I had thought of consulting with certain knowledgeable persons, perhaps yourself included Ger, in wondering of an all flying TP could be used. From what I have seen on other models these generally are removable, and also give a move sensitive elevator. (I think). And I like having a sensitive elevator.
Practicality desires that to transport this machine inside my little bubble car, a removable TP would be best.
So my thoughts were to have an all flying / removable TP. That’s what I’d like.

What do you thing of the matter?

Love & kisses,

Keith

gerryb

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2011, 20:18:15 PM »
to be honest keith, i wouldn't know enough about swapping fixed for all-moving t-planes to offer an opinion but if the full-size used a fixed t/plane, then that's the way i'd go and make the halves removable. that i have done.
i'm sure brian is familiar with the idea from f3a models and might offer advice on same.
by the way, i didn't intend taking you away from the wings but as the thoughts were in my head, i wrote them down.
further by the way, none of us IS perfect, french or otherwise