Author Topic: Longshot  (Read 10460 times)

Alan_Perse

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
Longshot
« on: May 02, 2007, 17:49:11 PM »
Hi. I thought I'd show a few pics of my Discus HLG. Its not working properly at the moment. I am having reception problems, maybe caused by a faulty servo. I'll have to work on it a bit more.

kankrz

• View Profile
HLG
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2007, 23:49:45 PM »
Nice bird :)

Alan_Perse

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
Longshot
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2007, 12:32:55 PM »
Thanks  :D  :D . I think I may have solved the radio problem and I will be able to get it flying soon.

Alan_Perse

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
Longshot
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2009, 19:15:53 PM »
Hi All. I don't know if anyone can help me, but I'm having major glitching problems with this model. So much so that I almost crashed the model and damaged it. But no problem the damage is easy to repair.

I tried changing the receiver, cristals, and some of the servos ,which I though were faulty, with no success. The receivers I have are single converstion. I wonder if that has anyting to do with it.

The fuselage and wings have a lot of carbon in them, and I have heard that that can cause a problem. So I also tried rerooting the reciever aerial away from the carbon in the fuselage. That appeared to work at first but then I started to get glitching again.

I would really like to get this model flying espiecally with the weather we had today. It looked like there were lots of thermals about. Any help you could give would be great.

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
Longshot
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2009, 20:11:59 PM »
Hi Alan,

You say you've repalced the rx, crystals and some servos, you haven't mentioned the battery. Have you changed that?

A single conversion rx is less able to ignore unwanted signals than a dual conversion rx. So if you were flying close to other tx's you might have had a problem of interference.

If the fuse is a carbon rod and your antenna is running close along it then that will weaken the recieved signal. Would it be possible to run the antenna through one of the wings. (I don't know what the wingspan is, and I'm assuming your using 35Mhz.)

Of all the above, personaly I'd look at your battery, it's lead and conector. Then check the other connectors.

Hope this will be of some use :wink:

K.
Try not to run out of airspeed, altitude and ideas....... all at the same time.

Fred

• Slope Soaring is not a crime!
  • Administrator
  • Gliderist Simplex
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gliderireland.net
Longshot
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2009, 20:13:03 PM »
Hi Alan,

Your receiver aerial goes inside the fuselage ?? In this case, that's your problem!
If not, but the aerial is alonside the fuselage, same !
Try again, but let leave the aerial free, in the wind.
Had this issue with my P51 (aluminium, aerial taped on one side), fly nice, areial on your side, and glitches aerial the other side (fuselage between me and the aerial...).
Might solve the problem.
Education is important, but flying RC planes and gliders is importanter!

Alan_Perse

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
Longshot
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2009, 20:54:21 PM »
Hi Guys. I already tried to move the receiver aerial already. I tried different locations. I tried along the wing, free in the wind, but no luck. In relation to the battery. I think I'll check it again, but I checked it before and there was no lose conections  :?:  :?: . I also noticed that the gliching sometimes only happens at certain angles to me when flying. So it must have something to do with the reception. I am wondering if a new synthesized dual converstion receiver would do the trick?

Fred

• Slope Soaring is not a crime!
  • Administrator
  • Gliderist Simplex
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gliderireland.net
Longshot
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2009, 21:23:55 PM »
Weird !
If a 4ch is enough, I can give you one to do some test the next time i see you.
I never had glitches with a Corona from the shop, even flying far far away (well, you know me!  :P )
Same on the electric plane. They are dual conversion, but your issue is a bit strange !
Education is important, but flying RC planes and gliders is importanter!

joe

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.islandsloperebels.com
Longshot
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2009, 21:42:03 PM »
Do you have crystals for any other channels Alan? Might be worth trying a different frequency in case there is something around you causing interference. Are you having problems with any other models on the same channel?

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
Longshot
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2009, 21:52:11 PM »
When I said check the battery I actually meant check it's charge as well as it's conections.

A dual conversion rx is one that has better selectivity. (The ability to select one particular radio signal and ignor all others)It won't, in itself, have any better sensitivity. (The ability to pick up a weak signals)

Have you checked, as best as you can, the antenna, making sure it hasn't been stressed where it enters the rx, or it could have a crack along its length.

Let me put it to you this way Alan:- You radio communication system used to work.
The fact that it doesn't work now means that something is not working the way it used to.
It doesn't mean you have to change the method of radio reception.

If you have another model that works okay, your Ruby perhaps, then I'd change the equipment over with that and see what happens.

Good luck,

Keith.
p.s. I've just had a thought. You're assumng that radio reception is the problem. I'm wondering if the Tx isn't at fault by putting out a weak signal. :?:  Have you checked the battery terminal contacts are clean and tight?
Try not to run out of airspeed, altitude and ideas....... all at the same time.

Alan_Perse

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
Longshot
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2009, 22:55:28 PM »
Quote from: "joe"
Do you have crystals for any other channels Alan? Might be worth trying a different frequency in case there is something around you causing interference. Are you having problems with any other models on the same channel?

Hi Joe. I tried a different channel but no luck. I have no problem with other models I have on the same channel.

Quote from: "Happy Days"
Have you checked, as best as you can, the antenna, making sure it hasn't been stressed where it enters the rx, or it could have a crack along its length.
Let me put it to you this way Alan:- You radio communication system used to work.
The fact that it doesn't work now means that something is not working the way it used to.
It doesn't mean you have to change the method of radio reception
If you have another model that works okay, your Ruby perhaps, then I'd change the equipment over with that and see what happens

Unfortunatly the communication system never worked properly with this model from the start. I just took so long to do something about it. I have also used different receivers.
Unfortunataly i can't use the system installed in the Ruby as it used a 4ch receiver and the Longshot needs a 5Ch receiver due to the fact it has ailerons etc.