Author Topic: BIG Electrics  (Read 10381 times)

Marty

• View Profile
BIG Electrics
« on: October 15, 2007, 07:19:28 AM »
In the process of converting the Hangar 9 1/4 scale Cub to electric - I am fitting an E - 110 outrunner, 2 Hyperion 4250 4S in series to give 28 volts and a Hyperion Titan 90 ESC. Anyone else out there doing something similar?  :shock:

Fred

• Slope Soaring is not a crime!
  • Administrator
  • Gliderist Simplex
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gliderireland.net
BIG Electrics
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2007, 08:05:13 AM »
Hi Marty, welcome to the forum,

The E110 is the E-flight BL motor ?

For sure, you can put an AXI 5320 series (even an AXI 4320) and that will give you plenty of power for the Cub  :D  
Friend have that on a 1/4 scale GP Cub ( + 2*3S 5000). And going bigger for towing !  :D
I don't really know an equivalent with the E110 though...  :?:
Education is important, but flying RC planes and gliders is importanter!

Marty

• View Profile
BIG Electrics
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2007, 08:56:04 AM »
Hi Fred,

Love your work with the Opel, prompted me order one - here in Aus it is within our CAR's to fly rocket powered aircraft so I wouldn't mind finding out wahat you used in yours. Black powder G80's might be fun! Bit expensive, though - maybe for effect only.

Back to the Cub - Hangar 9 recommend the E 110 but are skimpy on fitment details so I have engineered a motor mount out of ply. The only real help in the plan booklet for the Cub was the 6" dimension from the firewall to the prop driver. One thing I will do if the combination is powerful enough to do aerotow is to run a cable from the wing spar rearwards to the securing fixture for the tow bridle mount like the full size tugs.

Before going electric big time I added up the cost of motor, batteries, BIG 10S LiPo charger and balancers PLUS flight batteries and didn't come out much more expensive than an Enya 155 4S.  :P At least I can go 5S packs and even out to 5350 mA with the new Hyperion Packs. Nitro isn't cheap and I could have gone Zenoah but the idea of flying with electric with only the hassle of charging batteries appeals to me. No fuel, no mess, unless I crash....

A few years ago I purchased plans for a Fournier RF4 and it screamed out for electric. Those plans are lost in the mists of time and house removals post separation but I have ordered the Aero Naut RF5 with the full intention of using the same motor/ESC/battery combination as the Cub. Now, just have to do extensions to my shed...

Fred

• Administrator
  • Gliderist Simplex
    • View Profile
BIG Electrics
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2007, 09:48:03 AM »
Hi Marty, sorry late answer  :oops:

Thanks for the Opel  :D  I enjoyed to design that one. The original plan was to use Jetex  things, but that is not powerfull enough, but that can have a cool noise effect (and smoke.. and hopefully, not flames !  :lol: ) So, intead, one of my fellow Retroplane modeler brought me some fuse that is used to propel fireworks... They burn for around 5 - 10 seconds ! Mount is ready, just need time now to try that !  :D

About the tow hook on the plane... You plan to put the hook like a full size one, on the tail, is that correct ?  :?:

Talking of the budget, the electric gears are more expensive to buy, but at long term, this is, in my opinion, the cheapest optin. You are right, nitro is not cheap !

Marty

• View Profile
BIG Electrics
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2007, 10:30:42 AM »
Thanks Fred,

Yes, I want to try a scale approach with the tow hook, with the ability to release the tow line just in case.

A tug pilot here in the Darling Downs Gliding Club some years ago thought he had released his line (not) and commenced a beat up of the control van and adjoining tent with disastrous results - lucky no one was in the van or tent at the time. He was sacked, suffice to say.   :oops:

I am going to have to search the net for towhooks!

Where can I get the rules for Retroplane? Sounds like a great idea!

Fred

• Administrator
  • Gliderist Simplex
    • View Profile
BIG Electrics
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2007, 10:56:57 AM »
:?:

Humm, personaly, on models, i will not put the towhook on the tail ! Some are doing it, but that really taking too much risks !

For a model, the best position is closer to the CG as possible. Most of the time, it's behind the TE of the wing, on top of the fuselage. Like this, the glider don't really interact with the plane (glider going up and down for whatever reason, the tug don't really move... If the tow line is on the tail, well, it's bit like a rodeo for the tug !  :wink: )

For the tow releas on the plane, I can take a photo of mine, but that is really simple to do.

Fred

• Administrator
  • Gliderist Simplex
    • View Profile
BIG Electrics
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2007, 10:58:06 AM »
Ooopsss..
For retroplane, everything is here :
http://www.retroplane.net/retroplane2009/index-eng.htm
  :D