Author Topic: Hai 1 - A glider wich fits into a suitcase  (Read 24672 times)

Stephan

• View Profile
Hai 1 - A glider wich fits into a suitcase
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2008, 21:40:30 PM »
Ok guys
some business trips and than some vacation time delayed my building somewhat, but now I am back and I will start right away.
As indicated the ruder fin is somewhat sensitive and so I followed some advices I read in the german forum.
I decided to go with 0.6mm playwood on each side of the ruder fin. I think this will be enough.
First I plotted the two parts on the playwood sheet and drew the lines for the cut-out as indicated in the plan

0.6mm playwood can easily be cutted with a pair of scissors and thus the job is quickly done

I glued it with slow white glue and now it will dry under some 50kg weights :lol: till tomorrow
Cheers
Stephan

Fred

• Slope Soaring is not a crime!
  • Administrator
  • Gliderist Simplex
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gliderireland.net
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2008, 23:14:48 PM »
Hiya Steph,
good to be back building the thing !
1 month to go !!  :D
Education is important, but flying RC planes and gliders is importanter!

Stephan

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2008, 20:39:31 PM »
...yeah, it will be tighter than I want it to be, but there are to many business trips at the moment  :cry:
Stephan

Stephan

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2008, 22:24:41 PM »
Today I began with the fuselage. At first I glued the former 4, than the bracing for the wing mount no 9.

Because the whole fuselage is somewhat bended I am not shure whether that was the right thing to do  :?:
I than glued both halfs together...

When I now want to put the firewall in, the bending of both fuselage halfs ist not symmetric  :!: I thus put the front in water for the night and hopefully tomorrow morning before going to work I can bend them easier  :roll: and let them dry till the evening.
Ceers
Stephan

Fred

• Administrator
  • Gliderist Simplex
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2008, 11:26:38 AM »
So Stephan, what are the results ?
All ok now ?  :?:

Stephan

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2008, 15:59:20 PM »
Quote from: "Fred"
So Stephan, what are the results ?
All ok now ?  :?:

:D yes, my water procedure was seccessful. After being completely wet, I put the fusselage into a kind of straightening rack and after drying it was ok. Pictures will follow this evening.
Cheers
Stephan

Stephan

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2008, 12:51:35 PM »
So, as promissed some update about the building. As already mentioned the fuselage is after the straightening realy good and I could continue without any worry.
The next step was to glue the firewall with the right set-up (side thrust and the other thing where I don not know the right word  :!: ) which was quit tricky. After drying I cutted the upper front fuselage sheeting and glued it too.

Than, I cutted four square borders 10mmx10mm and glued it in the gaps between firewall and sheeting

... and after sanding it looks already realy nice

The fin set-up was the next delicate step. I throroughly ajusted and fixed it with some clamps.

With some ca-glue it was pre-glued and with thickened epoxy finaly fixed.
However I haven't realy trusted this set-up therefore an additional former was put in the front of the fin to get another fixpoint. I think now its ok.

After putting the rear sheeting on it looks alredy as a real fuselage and I can now attack the wings.

Cheers
Stephan

Alan_Perse

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2008, 17:36:48 PM »
Look nice Stephan  :D . Keep up the good work.

Stephan

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2008, 18:40:57 PM »
Quote from: "Alan_Perse"
Look nice Stephan  :D . Keep up the good work.

Thanks Alan, hope I can keep up even if the design of the wings shows some features I do not realy like, but lets start from the beginning.
Even when there are not a lot of ribs and you should move fast I struggled at little bit at the begining. I do not like mounting the ribs only being fixed at the longeron and than fixing the leading edge and the trailing edge. I like to have two fixing points from the beginning on. Therefore I decided to work with an auxiliar LE of 3mm as we call it in Germany. When finished I will glue a second one of 3mm against the first.

Second, the ribs are glued just against the LE and TE without any recesses in the LE/TE I changed this at lest for the LE, as you can learn from the following picture ( I am missing some words in my vocabulary to realy tell you what I mean  :( )

After that changes I felt much more confortable with the construction. The ribs are quickly glued. Because I want to have to wing halfs, I also had to made two root ribs. They were designed with "profili2". The print-out I putted on 2mm playwood, cutted it and sanded it.
Thats now the current status. Before fixing the plugin mounts I have now to  prepare the second wing in order to properly adjust the dihedral.

Cheers
Stephan

Alan_Perse

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2008, 19:16:02 PM »
Quote from: "Stephan"
( I am missing some words in my vocabulary to realy tell you what I mean  :( )Stephan

A Picture is worth a thousand words  :D  :D  :D  :wink:

cvanscho

« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2008, 02:37:37 AM »
This thead makes me want to get covered in balsa shavings again :D .

Chris

Stephan

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2008, 13:27:31 PM »
Quote from: "cvanscho"
This thead makes me want to get covered in balsa shavings again :D .

Hi Chris, just do it, its great fun  :D

So, some news about the construction. Both wings are finished in its basic structur, thus I could start to take care about the plug-in mount. The main plug in mount will be realized by a 6mm copper tube with a 4mm piano wire inside, and will go from the root rib through rib 20. Therefore, Rib 20 and 21 will be strengthen by a 1mm playwood rib glued on the balsa rib.

This work is indeed easier to do it before having glued the balsa ribs already, well I have just not made up my minde correctly before starting the construction :!: .
As soon as the ribs were glued I put first the front tube in the right position, the right dehidral is got by just putting under 15mm balsa at the end of both wings. Then I pre-fixed the tubes with some fast epoxy. The next step was  to adjust the auxiliar plug-in at the rear of the wings, which is indeed much smaler, only over the first two ribs and a 4mm copper tube with a 3mm piano wire inside. Also this one is pre-fixed with fast epoxy to get it in the right position.

Now, everything can be finaly glued overnight with slow epoxy. So, if you have now a closed look on it, there is still one mistake, yes, the bias of the root ribs is to big :cry: thus I have to put some balsa on and sand it into the right angle, a kind of a botch job :roll:
Cheers
Stephan

Stephan

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2008, 22:14:06 PM »
Often this are the little things which takes most of the time, but I am moving on. The support of the servos is build in...

... and at the moment the sheeting is drying. Tomorrow I will show a first picture fuselage/wings  :D
cheers
Stephan

Stephan

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2008, 21:18:42 PM »
So, as announced today I put togehter the parts, made the changes with the root ribs that both wings fit better together, glued the winglets, decided to add to each side of the ribs a triangle and drilled the holes for the screws to fix the wing and that's that baby right now.

The weight so far is 280g, have to add the radio and the batterie which is about 220g and the covering, so I should end up somewhere between 550 and 600g, :oops: oupps I forgot the engine which makes another 50g  but it should be still ok  :D , I am not far away from anybody else who build this glider and that with all the changes I made to get a stronger fuselage and wings.
Cheers
Stephan

Fred

• Administrator
  • Gliderist Simplex
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2008, 21:22:15 PM »
:shock:  Looking really good Stephan !  :clap:

I can't remember if you've told us... You are going to put an BL Inrunner +lipos ?
Can certainly do a nice glider too  :?:  To stay pure...  :wink:  :)  :P