Author Topic: An American Sloper in Ireland  (Read 2878 times)

FlyGuy USA

• View Profile
An American Sloper in Ireland
« on: May 27, 2016, 20:22:13 PM »
Well, I finally made it to God's country where my ancestors left 3 generations ago! I am from California and my wife and I are staying near Gorey in Wexford. Got some good info from this blog before arriving. Packed an ALULA ( 6 oz. AUW) and an Evo Weasel both from Dream Flight in California. First day here headed up to Mt. Leinster where I was blessed with a NE wind. Flew until my neck was sore! Entertained some school kids out on a class outing. Was actually chased by a soaring bird ( hawk?) with no harm to either of us. The next day we headed to Kilkmuckridge. Directions were not very clear! Wandered down a few NARROW lanes and eventually made it to the cliffs but the wind was too North and not straight enough into the slope to fly. Next day headed for Wicklow Head following directions in this blog from "Gary" that were many years old but were spot on. The red gate was opened and we drove up to the last fence just in front of the octagonal light house.  Walked over to the "dangerous cliffs" and flew my Alula again until too dark out to see top from bottom. When walking back to my car I met the nice lady that is the caretaker of the Octagonal lighthouse as one can rent it for holiday stays. She said it was alright to drive thru the gate up to the light house. Went to Hook Head today to see lighthouse and scope out possible sloping. Wind in wrong direction and slopes did not look very promising. So there you have it. We are off to Dublin for a few days of sight seeing and will be back next week for a few days before heading back home. So, if you are from outside Ireland and reading this- know that there are a few good sites in the general area of Wexford. This blog list others as well. Traveling  8) with the planes did not pose an issue with TSA at airport. Carried my radio on board with me and no one questioned it. Stuffed plane in sections between my clothes sent down below. This has been an awesome vacation and I would encourage any other slopers to come enjoy the beautiful countryside and flying. Hope to get in another day after Dublin. THANKS FOR THIS BLOG !!!

Fred

• Slope Soaring is not a crime!
  • Administrator
  • Gliderist Simplex
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gliderireland.net
Re: An American Sloper in Ireland
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2016, 20:33:34 PM »
Hey Tom,

Good to see you here!
So, you are in Dublin this week end? I thought that was from Monday?
Education is important, but flying RC planes and gliders is importanter!