Author Topic: Flying on a Monday afternoon.  (Read 4836 times)

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
Flying on a Monday afternoon.
« on: December 19, 2016, 20:33:12 PM »
With the christmas weekend due to be stormy I thought I'd "make hay while the sun shines" so to speak, and get a little flying in today.

Conditions were very light on the Big L with just 7 - 15 Kph breezes drifting in over the west slope. Mist kept coming and going but I managed to get my much scared 2mtr polyhedral 'Riser' to 'rise' to the occasion. In truth I doubt that I flew more than 400ft above my head, there was a low blanket of cloud. I have no way of knowing anyway, only guessing. So far I haven't been slapped in hand cuffs so I'll consider myself to have got away with it on this occasion. I noted to myself that despite all the predictions of doom & gloom in resent times, slope soaring remains alive and well in Ireland. ;)

I'd taken my 2mtr powered foamy with me (just in case) so having taken it all the way to the mountain I thought I'd best allow it to 'do it's thing.' So in went a Li-Po and up went the model. (In the air I mean, not up in flames! :o)
Once again it was easy flying on the gentle lift which came & went a few times but in fact I didn't need to use the motor at all. She drifted about the sky for 15 minutes before sliding to a halt on the slightly bumpy, and very wet, grass.

After a break for refreshments a further flight or two was enjoyed before the temperature began to drop as the sun fell lower in the southern sky. By packing up time I hadn't performed a single roll or even a loop but it had been nice to get up the mountain after, what must have been, at least a month or possibly more. It's not until I have an break from flying that I realize how much I enjoy it.

Keith
Try not to run out of airspeed, altitude and ideas....... all at the same time.

billscottni

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nimsa.co.uk ; www.billscott.org.uk
Re: Flying on a Monday afternoon.
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2016, 11:02:34 AM »
Bloody retirees able to fly midweek!
Good to hear someones getting out, been a fortnight since I flew in good 20mph+. Finally got the Condor in the air and it was a complete anti climax including a nice landing! Also flew the little pink Fiu. 30" span < 200g AUW in 20+ !!
JP, myself, Wayne & Tommy Magee (NIMSA) were out that day on an easterly slope above Carncastle, Co. Antrim

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2016, 11:10:14 AM »

Finally got the Condor in the air and it was a complete anti climax including a nice landing!

Please expalin why it was an anti climax?

Yes, it is great being retired. Mandy calls me a Profesional Lazy Bastard. (I get paid for doing nothing.)

Keith

billscottni

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2016, 13:27:11 PM »
No dramas at all with the Condor maiden. It left JP's hands and just headed straight out climbing all the way. In the winds we had I was expecting to have to fight it a bit before getting it all trimmed out, but no issues at all

Happy Days

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2016, 08:15:48 AM »
Very good then :) Just what you want!

billscottni

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2016, 22:12:13 PM »
need to sort the programming out a bit and reduce elevator throw a tad, but all good  :)

next step is trying to aerotow it :-X