Author Topic: 1/3 scale Ka1/Ka3 combo  (Read 25815 times)

gerryb

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
Re: 1/3 scale Ka1/Ka3 combo
« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2018, 23:25:47 PM »
Finally, the strut mount. Didn’t work out quite as I planned so I had to ‘modify’ it to make it fit. All’s well in the end....

gerryb

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2018, 13:37:05 PM »
Does anyone know how to turn those last 4 photos on page 2 through 90 degrees? They look completely wrong

billscottni

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nimsa.co.uk ; www.billscott.org.uk
« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2018, 09:09:14 AM »
Easiest way would be to do it in MSpaint, photo or irfanview on your own PC and then reupload them. Not sure if it can be done once they're on GI

gerryb

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2018, 18:03:32 PM »
Thanks Bill, I’ll see what I can do about it. Also, thanks for info on solartex

gerryb

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2020, 18:33:33 PM »
Hi all, update on Ka1/Ka3 combo.....
After a disastrous crash of the Ka3 some time last summer, the whole project was put on the shelf until I stopped crying and got some new enthusiasm for it. That happened earlier this week and in the space of about 3 days, the Ka3 was fixed and is now ready for test flights again.
I am back on the Ka1 and have started sheeting the fuse. Because the ‘3 broke badly in the wing mounting area, I decided to beef up the ‘1 with extra formers. Hopefully, it will all work out in the end.
Some photos......

Alan_Perse

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2020, 23:23:04 PM »
Looking good Gerry.

gerryb

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2020, 19:55:31 PM »
Hi all, happy Easter.
Update  on Ka1/Ka3 combo.....
Finished sheeting the fuse, filled all the little holes and gaps, so now I’m ready to cover it. I plan to use light nylon cloth and diluted PVA glue. I used this system years ago when I built my ASK 13 and it worked out very well for me.
Some photos of the finished fuselage.....

rogallo

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2020, 09:07:26 AM »
Hi Ger,
  hope you are well, it looks great.

See you on the hills soon

Ralph
Spots or no Spots?
Tuff Choice.

Kevin O'Donoghue

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2020, 21:45:58 PM »
Ger, I'm starting into finishing off a 1/4 scale Ka3 that I picked up unfinished from Ralph. I was just reading around the various build blogs. What did you cover your Ka3 in? What do you generally use? I'm tempted to order Oracover, but I must admit that I might just stick with Orafilm for expediency. I know it will be a little bit shiny, but 100m off the slope will anyone notice?
How did you finish your red one with the white wing striping? It looks very well.
Thanks
Kevin

gerryb

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 05, 2020, 12:15:06 PM »
Hi Kev,
I used white  profilm for the wings and a Hobby King red for the fuselage. As you say, they are a bit shiny, but when the model is in the air, you hardly notice.
I also built a 1/4 sc version and covered it with Solartex (unfortunately now no longer available). You can see this model on p6 of Scale, my one is blue and yellow and another one by Kieran Wallace which is red and white.
Best of luck with your model, don’t forget to post photos and keep us up to date.
Regards, Gerry Buckley

Kevin O'Donoghue

• ISR Club Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 05, 2020, 20:50:35 PM »
Thanks Gerry for the info. I'm working my way through the different build blogs on the forum taking screen shots of details before I start work. I'm tempted by a film covering but a certain gentleman in west Cork is convincing me to go with Oratex. He might be right; I'll see!
I must order up bits and bobs this week from Hollein shop before I get working so no immediate rush to make a decision. I have a Wasabi that I bought back in 2006 on the bench at the moment to be assembled. It's like chalk and cheese looking at the two planes side by side.
I will definitely post pics as I go.